Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how long to ride each day or almost each day to start burning stomach fat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

how long to ride each day or almost each day to start burning stomach fat

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 10:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
yes it's a different equation for different people but most of the constructive replies do emphasize that diet is critical and that no practical / realistic amount of cycling exercise will lead to significant loss unless you adopt a diet that reduces intake so the exercise can shed weight. ideally you can increase the exercise and reduce the intake, measure the results, and continue to adapt further for better results. it doesn't have to turn to preaching
You can't argue this topic with certain users on BF. They contribute nothing other than hand waving about how parts of the discussion are hopelessly unknowable.

There ARE accepted norms that can be applied to 95% of people. There ARE people significantly smarter than a bunch of joes on BF.

If anyone cares educate themselves, bike related, there's quite a few podcasts by Fasttalk on this EXACT topic. Even from a diabetics perspective if that's a need.

Being goal based is key. General health and well being, fondo riding, or racing? From there, how much time per week do you have to exercise? From there, the longer you have the easier you can go and the more frequently as well. The shorter you have, the harder you have to go and less frequently. In either scenario, going hard occasionally improves insulin sensitivity. Lookup the "80/20" training method and the associated podcast.

Super basic stuff that's been repeated a lot by people a lot smarter than myself and repeated a lot on those podcasts.

I simply will not accept in life that just because we're all made a touch different that there aren't underlying norms and best practices we can all benefit from. They may take some tweaking or customization given those differences, but they're still best practices. That may change over time by applying the scientific method and updating the norms.
Old 08-24-20, 11:21 AM
Bubu White

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on diet. You can’t out-train a bad diet. I’m an endomorph, I gain fat and muscle very easily. I peaked at 260 then rigorously began cycling 25 miles 3 times a week. Didn’t lose weight the first two months so by the third month I began eating cleaner and in smaller portions and the change was immediate. Currently at 230, haven’t ridden in 2 months and my weight is the same.
Old 08-24-20, 11:58 AM
greengo
Riding the Greek Isles...

Bikes: Fuji roubaix pro / Specialized Road bike / Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I watch my diet and try to ride at least 5 days a week for one hour minimum
I try to keep my heart rate up to where I am hopefully getting something out of it vs. just spinning my wheels. I also use interval training.
there are a lot of hills where I live & it has shocked me at how long I can maintain (or not) a certain percentage heart rate when I am getting my butt kicked on some of the hills.
If you can afford it get a computer and a heart rate monitor so you can track your progress using that data
Old 08-24-20, 12:29 PM
maschwab
Mike Schwab

Bikes: Burley Django, Rans VII w/ xtracycle, Sun EZ-1, Waterford road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Burning body fat

Originally Posted by ggbo951a
i got some tummy trying to get rid off, aside from diet, what is the daily recommended ride length or period approx to start burning belly fat?
None. You don't start to burn stored body fat until you run out of carbohydrates.

Week one. Start consume dietary ketones (Best is Ketones in a can (most expensive, all ketones, tastes bad), next is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides, usually made from coconut oil) (less expensive, 50% converted to ketones, little taste), next is liquid Coconut oil, least expensive, 20% converted to ketones, little taste). These are converted to Ketones and will restart your fat metabolism. This will prevent weakness due to lack of carbs (Keto flu) or even Diabetic Ketoacidosis if your fat metabolism can't keep your body supplied with energy.

Week two. Stop consumption of wheat or potatoes, continue with dietary ketones.
Week three. Stop consumption of wheat AND potatoes, continue with dietary ketones.
Week four. Above plus reduce other high carb vegetables. Goal is 15g carbs per 6 hour meal period, 25 g per day.

Continue to follow a ketogenic diet, I suggest the Wheat Belly Total Health book. It include a list of supplements and maintaining certain level of thyroid hormones.
Old 08-24-20, 12:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Everyone is different, so there's no number anyone can throw out at you. Cycling only burns about 35 Calories per mile (or ~100 Calories per 3 miles - this isn't an exact number!) That is on top of your basic per-day usage, and additionally being active on a regular basis will tend to increase your baseline numbers. A pound of body fat is about 3500 Calories; so burning a pound of fat requires riding about 100 miles. You can see that cycling may help, but to lose weight you must control your mouth.
Old 08-24-20, 02:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
oh bull****. The OP has asked the forum how much riding might be required to lose fat, and my post #37 detailed for the OP's benefit what worked for me when I faced a similar question. I don't presume to know the OP's habits, genetics or capabilities, nor does any reply I've posted in this thread suggest that I do. I did, however, suggest to the OP that it can be helpful to identify a goal and figure out how to measure the results . . . you claim that's meaningless, and then immediately follow in saying that's how you lost 140 lbs. The advice you were offered was wrong . . . your weight swings 45 pounds . . . what does this have to do with the OP's question?

Yeah, you missed the damn point. For me, I ate a lot less at 220 pounds than I do now at about 180 pounds, and that's not a "swing", that's a bunch of weight I've kept off for going on 5 years. So, yeah, I find blanket statements that emphasize diet over exercise to be more than a little overdone. All the "you can't out exercise a bad diet" nonsense doesn't take into account that something that might be a "bad diet" at one level of activity might be entirely suitable at a higher or lower level of activity.

And I think OP's question's limit went out of the rear view about 100 posts ago. Almost none of this has anything to do with specifically targeting belly fat for the simple reason that there's a four word answer to that--"you can't do it."
Old 08-24-20, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You can't argue this topic with certain users on BF. They contribute nothing other than hand waving about how parts of the discussion are hopelessly unknowable.

There ARE accepted norms that can be applied to 95% of people. There ARE people significantly smarter than a bunch of joes on BF.

If anyone cares educate themselves, bike related, there's quite a few podcasts by Fasttalk on this EXACT topic. Even from a diabetics perspective if that's a need.

Being goal based is key. General health and well being, fondo riding, or racing? From there, how much time per week do you have to exercise? From there, the longer you have the easier you can go and the more frequently as well. The shorter you have, the harder you have to go and less frequently. In either scenario, going hard occasionally improves insulin sensitivity. Lookup the "80/20" training method and the associated podcast.

Super basic stuff that's been repeated a lot by people a lot smarter than myself and repeated a lot on those podcasts.

I simply will not accept in life that just because we're all made a touch different that there aren't underlying norms and best practices we can all benefit from. They may take some tweaking or customization given those differences, but they're still best practices. That may change over time by applying the scientific method and updating the norms.

Norms that apply to 95% of people, that's why the problem of obesity has been licked so thoroughly in this country, amirite?

We are not just a "touch" different. Two seconds of looking around in public should tell you just how different our bodies are.
Old 08-24-20, 03:14 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
You want numbers? Here you go. Just fill in the blanks.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

1 lb. of fat is 3,500 calories. Since we can't choose where the fat comes from, Only some of it will be the belly.

Bicycling IMO is one of the most effective ways to loose weight through activity mainly because it is so enjoyable I'm inclined to do it longer and more frequently then my weight lifting or treadmill work. Understand I bike for pleasure first, The exercise is a side benefit.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-24-20 at 03:22 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 08-24-20, 03:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by maschwab
None. You don't start to burn stored body fat until you run out of carbohydrates.

Week one. Start consume dietary ketones (Best is Ketones in a can (most expensive, all ketones, tastes bad), next is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides, usually made from coconut oil) (less expensive, 50% converted to ketones, little taste), next is liquid Coconut oil, least expensive, 20% converted to ketones, little taste). These are converted to Ketones and will restart your fat metabolism. This will prevent weakness due to lack of carbs (Keto flu) or even Diabetic Ketoacidosis if your fat metabolism can't keep your body supplied with energy.

Week two. Stop consumption of wheat or potatoes, continue with dietary ketones.
Week three. Stop consumption of wheat AND potatoes, continue with dietary ketones.
Week four. Above plus reduce other high carb vegetables. Goal is 15g carbs per 6 hour meal period, 25 g per day.

Continue to follow a ketogenic diet, I suggest the Wheat Belly Total Health book. It include a list of supplements and maintaining certain level of thyroid hormones.
Absolute nonsense.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-24-20, 03:48 PM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
You want numbers? Here you go. Just fill in the blanks.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

1 lb. of fat is 3,500 calories. Since we can't choose where the fat comes from, Only some of it will be the belly.

Bicycling IMO is one of the most effective ways to loose weight through activity mainly because it is so enjoyable I'm inclined to do it longer and more frequently then my weight lifting or treadmill work. Understand I bike for pleasure first, The exercise is a side benefit.

Best answer thus far. Fact-based, direct, and no arguing with anyone. I'm not the OP, but thanks!
Likes For UnderDawgAl:
Old 08-24-20, 04:07 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, you missed the damn point. For me, I ate a lot less at 220 pounds than I do now at about 180 pounds, and that's not a "swing", that's a bunch of weight I've kept off for going on 5 years. So, yeah, I find blanket statements that emphasize diet over exercise to be more than a little overdone. All the "you can't out exercise a bad diet" nonsense doesn't take into account that something that might be a "bad diet" at one level of activity might be entirely suitable at a higher or lower level of activity.

And I think OP's question's limit went out of the rear view about 100 posts ago. Almost none of this has anything to do with specifically targeting belly fat for the simple reason that there's a four word answer to that--"you can't do it."
dialogue addressing the OP's question is the point, isn't it?
Old 08-24-20, 04:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

dialogue addressing the OP's question is the point, isn't it?

Which I was doing in the context of the thread. The topic had expanded to fat loss generally. Guess what, the 40 pounds I lost while working out and eating more was not muscle or bone.

I directly answered your post because I lost a bunch of fat in a manner you said was impossible. If I was off-topic, so were you.
Old 08-24-20, 05:00 PM
cycology

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you bike 600 calories an hour (15mph?) and eat 3000 cal day, basal rate 1800 cal, you need to burn 1200 cal, two hours, 30 mi/day, 210 mi/wk will maintain your belly, need more to decrease (Just my wild ignorant estimate try to figure out for yourself.

Here's an idea I just "discovered," j if you eat 3 meals a day, dropping to 2 should help. Scientist report health benefits of daily fasting, maybe 8 pm to 10 am or longer: breakfast is not the "most important" meal, it shortens life (according to them.) I tried skipping breakfast but too hungry in am. One scientist said takes a couple weeks to get used to it, he was right, I no longer need breakfast.
Old 08-25-20, 10:01 AM
Paul930
Old

Bikes: Trek 930.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stop drinking carbonated drinks - especially soda. Allows your stomach to shrink and not feel so empty.
Stomach-exercises May make your belly larger. Practice having those muscles tight when walking, exercising, &c. - don’t let it push out.
Likes For Paul930:
Old 08-25-20, 12:59 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You can't out ride a diet. My first loaded bike tour was 700 miles in 8 days. I gained 20 lbs.
Old 08-26-20, 03:25 PM
seaweedsam

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think there would be a result immediately however small.
Old 08-26-20, 04:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
My take on it :
  1. If you don't ride, and don't limit your intake, you won't lose any weight or get more fit. You may even gain weight.
  2. If you ride and don't limit your intake, you won't lose weight but you'll get more fit. You MIGHT gain weight.
  3. If you don't ride, but do limit your intake, you'll lose weight but not get more fit.
  4. If you ride and limit your intake, you'll lose weight and become more fit.
I have tried all of the above. #4 is best. I'm down close to 20lbs since February, and my riding is also improving - I'm going farther and faster, and enjoying it more.

I have to use a calorie-counting app (I use My Fitness Pal), because it keeps me honest. When I'm feeling like a snack, I think of the cost in calories.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-26-20, 04:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A few years ago I lost a LOT of weight and inches on my belly. #1 thing to remember is that fat comes off from the FIRST place it came on and that fat is all through the body not just in the belly.

What I did was cut out ALL JUNK foods like potato chips and pizzas and candy bars and soda drinks. I also rode a lot. Not so much a lot of miles in one ride but a lot of rides of 15 - 60 miles. I didn't ride particularly hard either but did have a lot of hills with not too steep inclines.

The thing to remember is that in order to lose weight you must burn more calories than you take in. Be careful not to eat a lot of high carb food or drink a lot of beer after your ride. You can also do some exercises to strengthen your tummy muscles.

For me, losing the belly inches was a lifestyle eating change couple with riding.

Like Eddy Merckx said, "“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride."

Oh, you might find that at first your lose weight but then the loss slows or you gain a bit. Don't be put off by that as a lot of times it's simply due to increased muscle mass and muscle is denser than fat.

Good luck and cheers.
Old 08-26-20, 04:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Wanted to lose some gut to fit into some pants... well, the gut definitely shrank more than planned, but the pants still fit tight. My legs grew, which bulges the pants. FML.
Old 08-26-20, 04:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Wanted to lose some gut to fit into some pants... well, the gut definitely shrank more than planned, but the pants still fit tight. My legs grew, which bulges the pants. FML.
I wanted to buy some sweatpants for just lounging around, so I bought some XLs without trying them on. The waist was loose, but the thighs were TIGHT! I can only assume they were made for fat guys with bird legs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-26-20, 05:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I wanted to buy some sweatpants for just lounging around, so I bought some XLs without trying them on. The waist was loose, but the thighs were TIGHT! I can only assume they were made for fat guys with bird legs.
those are the dadbod edition.
Old 08-27-20, 08:20 AM
Paul930
Old

Bikes: Trek 930.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am fairly fit. When I start going to a gym, I go three to four times a week and work hard. I usually expect to see noticeable results in the mirror in about 8-weeks.