Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Good rear light 2020.

Old 11-29-20, 12:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Cool, cool. Hey, what do you do when the sun's at your back and your mirror is full of blinding glare?
Can't answer for waters, but that's a good question because it never occurred to me to think about it. Never happens, don't know why. Maybe because I'm a left-coaster and ride in hilly terrain? Don't know. It's a small mirror and very directional. I have it set so that I have to turn my head to the left to see behind me. Must be different in Texas.
Old 11-29-20, 12:41 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Can't answer for waters, but that's a good question because it never occurred to me to think about it. Never happens, don't know why. Maybe because I'm a left-coaster and ride in hilly terrain? Don't know. It's a small mirror and very directional. I have it set so that I have to turn my head to the left to see behind me. Must be different in Texas.
I use bar-end mirrors, not helmet, but it can absolutely happen to me. The Varia is super handy as a first-check without turning my head while the mirrors are (possibly literally) blinding.

It might also have to do with the time of day you ride.
Old 11-29-20, 01:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I use bar-end mirrors, not helmet, but it can absolutely happen to me. The Varia is super handy as a first-check without turning my head while the mirrors are (possibly literally) blinding.

It might also have to do with the time of day you ride.
Probably so. Plus summer light is longer up here and there's no sun in the other seasons. Helmet mirror's better IMO. Being able to scan and adjust field of view is everything. Worth a try. That said, I'm sure you're right about that first-check.

When I'm hiking, I'm forever turning my head a little to see behind me but oops, no mirror! I wear glasses now, so a glasses mirror is tempting, just for that.
Old 11-29-20, 02:08 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Cool, cool. Hey, what do you do when the sun's at your back and your mirror is full of blinding glare?
I am still trying to figure out where the Varia fits in. My questions get snarky replies instead of useful feedback. Some of us do not know much about how the Varia works so given the number of people who are fans this seems like a good place for feedback. Does it replace a mirror or looking back? As I posted, what does it do that a mirror does not do? There are times when it could be useful to have a second set of eyes. Does it always make an alert sound to warn of traffic approaching? I’m not sure I would want constant alerts; the vast majority of traffic I will see well before it is close.
Just a few questions looking for answers.
Old 11-29-20, 02:42 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by waters60
I am still trying to figure out where the Varia fits in. My questions get snarky replies instead of useful feedback. Some of us do not know much about how the Varia works so given the number of people who are fans this seems like a good place for feedback. Does it replace a mirror or looking back? As I posted, what does it do that a mirror does not do? There are times when it could be useful to have a second set of eyes. Does it always make an alert sound to warn of traffic approaching? I’m not sure I would want constant alerts; the vast majority of traffic I will see well before it is close.
Just a few questions looking for answers.
It does make a noise, and occasionally it is annoying. However, it can see cars that you absolutely can't (dark car in dawn under trees without headlights). Nothing ever replaces looking back; I wouldn't only check a mirror before crossing traffic. What it does do is let you see how many cars are where, and with just a quick flick of the eyes. It does that in conditions that make turning to look harder, make mirrors useless, and doesn't rely on contrast or lighting.

Let me flip your question around: why does it have to replace anything? Does your mirror replace looking? Why would you ever NOT want additional information about traffic around you? And why are the people asking about Varias always looking to make them replace something rather than being yet another piece of safety?

Oh, for another thing, there are weather conditions where my mirrors will fog into oblivion. Garmin stays readable. As with the sun glare issue, it means I still have a way to have a first check for traffic before looking. If I know a car is there (mirror or Garmin) no need to look; wait until they're clear and THEN look.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-29-20, 03:01 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I find the Varia app's audible warning that a car (or cars) are approaching from behind a huge benefit. While I also have a bar-end mirror, you can't or arrn't always be looking in the mirror,
Old 11-29-20, 03:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Anti-Varia people be like: "Does it beep at you when cars are detected? It does?! Ugh - how annoying, that wouldn't work for me. Wait - what's that you say? You can turn off the warning tone? Pfft - well, if it's only going to show you little dots on the screen but not call your attention to them otherwise, what good is it?!"
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-29-20, 03:21 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Anti-Varia people be like: "Does it beep at you when cars are detected? It does?! Ugh - how annoying, that wouldn't work for me. Wait - what's that you say? You can turn off the warning tone? Pfft - well, if it's only going to show you little dots on the screen but not call your attention to them otherwise, what good is it?!"
Simple solution for people that don't like the Varia just like for people who don't like certain color bikes....don't buy one! Critics of the Varia RTL515 are not going to change the mind of those that like it....and vice versa.
Old 11-29-20, 04:56 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
My friend that I ride with appreciates the audible alert when we're riding together. He'll ask sometimes if it's alerting because he's behind me. My reply is "You wish! That would mean you're riding faster than me..." Heh.
As for also using a mirror, yes I still ride with and use my mirror regularly but I do rely on the Varia primarily unless I'm turning left in which case I check the Varia and the mirror and give a quick glance over the shoulder.
Old 11-29-20, 08:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,271 Times in 3,459 Posts
I just ordered one, and I know it will be a great aid in riding. It will not stop me from looking over my shoulder before a lane change or turn. It’s another tool, just like the tools in a car.

In my car, I have three mirrors. There is also an audible and visual blind spot warning system. Nonetheless, I always look over my shoulder when turning or changing lanes when there is a possibility of turning into another car. Every tool you have helps decrease the possibility of an accident if they are properly used.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-30-20, 03:53 AM
waters60

“Anti-Varia people be like...” should have been flagged for grammar.
Old 11-30-20, 10:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Way to save face, buddy.
Old 11-30-20, 10:18 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

Niterider Solas 250

It's very bright, visible from the sides, gets a good long run time when charged, recharges quickly, and can be mounted on a variety of frames, seatposts, or saddlebags.
Old 11-30-20, 10:39 AM
WhyFi

Oh, you're new to the internets! So cute! Your post really does call for a response consisting of a picture of Gene Wilder and a snarky bit o' text, but you probably wouldn't get that meme, either.

But back to the sub-subject: I concede - you, someone that has never laid hands on a Varia - are correct and you have figured out what none of the nearly unanimous Varia userbase could figure out - turning your head completely negates any advantage of the product. We are all appropriately gutted.
Old 11-30-20, 12:10 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Unless I'm missing something, that's not really a competitor to the Varia. The whole point of the Varia is the built-in radar.
So the Varia tells there's a vehicle behind me. The thing is that I live in an urban area and there's most always a vehicle behind me. I vote for the Dinotte.
Old 11-30-20, 12:30 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Goldrush
So the Varia tells there's a vehicle behind me. The thing is that I live in an urban area and there's most always a vehicle behind me. I vote for the Dinotte.
Plenty of Varia owners live and/or ride in the city - the functionality is very much of value in both rural and urban areas. Also, I can't recall meeting too many self-identified road cyclists that lived in a city and didn't get out of the city on a regular basis.
Old 11-30-20, 12:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldrush
I also live in an urban area and however, once someone has used a Varia it quickly proves its worth. It not only identifies if a vehicle is behind you but also if it's more than one, how close it is and whether its approach speed is fast or not. In an urban setting if a rider needs to move out due to an obstruction in the lane checking the Varia is the first step towards determining if it is safe. If the Varia shows it's clear a quick shoulder check and out you come. Also since it shows if more than one vehicle is behind you sometimes after a shoulder check a rider can miss the second vehicle. I have no idea how such a simple and innovative product can elicit such resistance from those who choose not to use it?
Old 11-30-20, 12:45 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
The best feature is the reactive light pattern change as WhyFi mentioned, added to the fact that it can track up to 8 vehicles as far back as 150 yards.
The reactive light is excellent, but to me the greatest feature is I can see there are more cars in a conga line behind me, without having to look over my shoulder. I can wait until it says they've all passed, look to verify, and then move back out into the lane. This is especially useful on long climbs with narrow shoulders and ditches.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 11-30-20, 02:22 PM
waters60

“Does your mirror replace looking?” Yes, for almost 30 years. I can see much better and more safely with a mirror.
Old 11-30-20, 02:24 PM
dingels75

Bikes: 1) 22' R-066 Disc SRAM Red 15.6 lbs 2) 19' Aero LCR012-D Ultegra 16.8 lbs 3) 16' R-066 SRAM Red 14.6 lbs. 4) Nashbar 105 CX 5) 95' Balance MTB 5) 96' Cannondale Multisport 800 650c 6) 87' Cannondale R400

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I'm riding bike paths or trails I like the Cateye Rapid X3 because of the way it attaches like it's an integral part of the seat post. If I'm riding the roads with vehicles I use the Varia paired with my Garmin 1030 because the radar is a priceless tool that I never want to be without again.
Old 11-30-20, 06:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from Road to Electronics-Lighting-Gadgets.

Old 12-01-20, 07:36 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Varia user here. A couple weeks ago motorcyclist stopped and chatted with me while we were both at a stop sign. He mentioned that he could really see my rear light about 1/2 mile back (the road was straight and flat) and that it started flashing "really crazy" as he got closer. At least some drivers see the change in flash pattern!
Likes For tntyz:
Old 12-01-20, 06:47 PM
JoeO

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
I own about 6 of this model above for my bikes here in states as well in Sri lanka and it would be difficult to show me a more well built powerful tail light... It is BRUTAL...
I have the same light on a few bikes. Worth every penny. Insanely visible from far away in daylight. I've actually twice had cars pull up next to me at a light and thank me for using it. Seriously. (Both times I was afraid they were going to yell at me or something.)
Old 12-02-20, 02:20 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeO
I have the same light on a few bikes. Worth every penny. Insanely visible from far away in daylight. I've actually twice had cars pull up next to me at a light and thank me for using it. Seriously. (Both times I was afraid they were going to yell at me or something.)
It is so powerful that you sign a waiver to not use it after dark and only in day light.. I have had people see me 8 miles away on the bike trail...! Its a rude, nasty, and super powerful rear light..
Old 12-02-20, 04:11 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
I’ve used rear lights from Dinotte for many years, and I strongly recommend them. I’ve had police officers pull up alongside me at stop lights - and once while I was riding - to *thank* me for using those lights, because they are so clearly visible. I use them day and night.

In addition to the performance of the lights, Dinotte’s mounts are also very good. Many/most rear light mounts are crummy, with the result that the light often ends up pointing somewhere unhelpful. Dinotte mounts keep the light pointed where it should be.

As rear lights go, they’re expensive! But for me, it’s an investment in safety.
Likes For scubaman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.