Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Best location for bottle cage adapter mounts on fork

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 08:50 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I have a lauf true grit gravel bike. No bottle cage mounts on the fork. I have a long event so throwing some cage adapter mounts on each fork. Is it better to have them located higher or lower on the fork. In training I’m not sure I noticed significant difference but thought somebody here may have thoughts or experience why higher or lower might be better
Old 03-02-21, 09:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have never really cared where weight is on my forks- Ive carried panniers on a high mount and low mount, but neither has made much difference to me. Low mount is apparently more stable(weight low is better than weight high), but in practice I havent cared. That is the weight of bags, so im pretty sure the weight of bottles wouldnt be an issue to me. Obviously you may differ though.

An alternative option is Wolftooth's b-rad system. You can mount bottles in line or side by side. web pic from site is below.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...cessory-device
Old 03-02-21, 10:51 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have never really cared where weight is on my forks- Ive carried panniers on a high mount and low mount, but neither has made much difference to me. Low mount is apparently more stable(weight low is better than weight high), but in practice I havent cared. That is the weight of bags, so im pretty sure the weight of bottles wouldnt be an issue to me. Obviously you may differ though.

An alternative option is Wolftooth's b-rad system. You can mount bottles in line or side by side. web pic from site is below.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...cessory-device

thanks. I’m currently able to fit two bottles inside the triangle (along with frame bag) and a bottle under the down tube. So I’m adding 1-2 bottles on the forks. I didn’t notice much difference when adding the mounts high vs low. This is a self-supported event hence the need to carry a bunch of crap to make it to next convenience store. I could use a camelbak but those aren’t really my favorite. And fortunately this location is very flat so it’s not like I need to climb a bunch of hills all weighed down
Old 03-02-21, 12:03 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If this bike has the carbon fork I think it has, I would be very cautious about clamping down adapters on it.
Old 03-02-21, 03:16 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by msu2001la
If this bike has the carbon fork I think it has, I would be very cautious about clamping down adapters on it.
why is that? They’re two fish adapters. Just a rubber backup against the fork that is held in place by a Velcro strap

Quick cage adapter
Old 03-02-21, 08:30 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
+1 for the caution about clamping anything to carbon fork blades, and carrying weight that way. Also, Lauf fork blades aren’t round, and it also looks they they get a bit narrower as they go down. So either you need to clamp tightly to keep the bottles in place, which is risky for the fork blades; or the bottles may slip down as you ride - at best, leading the clamp and the bottle to rattle against the top leaf spring, and at worst, leading the bottle to rotate into the wheel.

I'd recommend a different plan, such as a cage mounted to the underside of the downtube, and/or a hydration backpack.
Old 03-02-21, 08:54 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by scubaman
+1 for the caution about clamping anything to carbon fork blades, and carrying weight that way. Also, Lauf fork blades aren’t round, and it also looks they they get a bit narrower as they go down. So either you need to clamp tightly to keep the bottles in place, which is risky for the fork blades; or the bottles may slip down as you ride - at best, leading the clamp and the bottle to rattle against the top leaf spring, and at worst, leading the bottle to rotate into the wheel.

I'd recommend a different plan, such as a cage mounted to the underside of the downtube, and/or a hydration backpack.
in my riding the adapter hasn’t given me issues. The rubber backing can sort of flatten against the fork. I can’t imagine being able to pull the Velcro strap hard enough to damage the fork blades. To me, the fork blades aren’t particularly narrow.
Old 03-03-21, 08:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd put my extra bottle or two in a jersey pocket or in the frame bag.
Old 03-03-21, 08:42 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by dwmckee;[url=tel:21951156
21951156[/url]]I'd put my extra bottle or two in a jersey pocket or in the frame bag.
frame bag might be a good option. I have a fair amount of crap to load up but that might work.