Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

lots of stop-n-go

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

lots of stop-n-go

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 04:57 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
lots of stop-n-go

hi,

i had a fixed gear roadbike back in the days, like 20 years ago. back then, i rode it on the road with very few stop lights. after one year, i switched back to gears, because i was doing alot of long group rides and MS150.

now, i got the itch to lace a fixed-gear wheel for my townie bike. it has 90 deg sweep back bars like those old English Raleigh Roadster.
but now, i live in urban area in China. And have to ride on the Mups alot. Have to dodge pedestrians alot. Have to stop for stop lights ALOT. On the road, lots of big trucks squeeze by you. i have to ride an hour before i get out to the suburb. according to local cycling group, the main route to suburb and back has over 100 stops (if you actually follow all traffic rules). alot of places, the law require you to push your bike across rail tracks and intersections.

question is, is all this stop and go going to make me hate fixie riding?

Last edited by mtb_addict; 05-16-21 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-16-21, 09:36 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Build that wheel with a flip-flop hub so you can ride with a singlespeed freewheel if fixed doesn't work for you.
Old 05-16-21, 09:01 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
hi,

i had a fixed gear roadbike back in the days, like 20 years ago. back then, i rode it on the road with very few stop lights. after one year, i switched back to gears, because i was doing alot of long group rides and MS150.

now, i got the itch to lace a fixed-gear wheel for my townie bike. it has 90 deg sweep back bars like those old English Raleigh Roadster.
but now, i live in urban area in China. And have to ride on the Mups alot. Have to dodge pedestrians alot. Have to stop for stop lights ALOT. On the road, lots of big trucks squeeze by you. i have to ride an hour before i get out to the suburb. according to local cycling group, the main route to suburb and back has over 100 stops (if you actually follow all traffic rules). alot of places, the law require you to push your bike across rail tracks and intersections.

question is, is all this stop and go going to make me hate fixie riding?
How often do you plan to obey traffic laws . . . ?

The essence of a fixed gear (or so I've been told) is to figure out the best route that'll keep you moving and learn to flow around obstacles. A geared bike won't make the stops disappear so it shouldn't matter much whether you're riding fixed or geared. Only difference I can think of is if you're not running brakes, all that skidding will wear down the rear tire faster and a lower gear ratio might be required to make startups easier. Alternatively, you could make it a SS as someone suggested previously.
Old 05-16-21, 10:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The question is more are you actually going to do this or is it like everything in the past where you want to go to an all you can eat buffet but just have a glass of water?
Old 05-16-21, 10:51 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by sdimattia
How often do you plan to obey traffic laws . . . ?
y.
i just saw cops writing tickets for cyclists not pushing their bikes across an intersection(on a Mup). So not obeying rules has high risk.

i see lots and lots of people on bikes run red lights here. i think difficult forcops to catch you. but i am not going to run red lights.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The question is more are you actually going to do this or is it like everything in the past where you want to go to an all you can eat buffet but just have a glass of water?
i definitely need a new wheel. whether its freewheel or fixed-gear. the current one is very rusty.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 05-17-21 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 05:33 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
For many, many kilometers everyday I ride a brakeless fixed-gear bike on city streets with occasional hops on and off a MUP to avoid freeways whilst strictly obeying stop signs and signals (a religion which has me sometimes track-standing for many minutes) and I love it... Indeed, the fluidity of riding fixed and the ease of track-stands and slowly approaching obstacles/pedestrians/intersections/weird cars with deftness and a direct and tangibly engaged drivetrain is what makes me love it so much. Also, by respecting cars and riding with their rules (along with deference to them when needed): we get along fine.

I like the stop-and-start nature of it, truly... The whole endeavor is fluid and stimulating, especially when fixed. I can imagine this sort of thing being pure torture for a roadie.

The MUP is nightmare for any cyclist, and my only two collisions (one destroying a frame, the other a rim) were due to horrific behavior on the part of someone riding a bicycle on the MUP: Which is why I stick to city streets as much as possible. Cars are much more predictable and reliable when it comes to the behavior of your neighbors on the road... Let's face it: Drivers are likely to be more experienced and have more to lose due to bonky behavior... The MUP is a murder zone of incompetence, obliviousness, and dog-walkers.
Likes For ethet:
Old 05-17-21, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i just saw cops writing tickets for cyclists not pushing their bikes across an intersection(on a Mup). So not obeying rules has high risk.

i see lots and lots of people on bikes run red lights here. i think difficult forcops to catch you. but i am not going to run red lights.

i definitely need a new wheel. whether its freewheel or fixed-gear. the current one is very rusty.
Why wouldn't you replace it with something similar but higher quality to what you have? Unless it is a single speed already get what will already work with the bike.
Old 05-18-21, 01:31 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Time to hone your track standing skills!
Likes For TomM:
Old 05-18-21, 08:09 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I find frequent red light and stop signs to be annoying when riding brakeless with >75 gear inches. The high gear just requires a lot of unnecessary strain, stopping and accelerating, and in this situation, high gears aren't necessary. On the other hand, for me, a fixed gear in the ballpark of 70 gear inches is just fine for stop-and-go situations, and, in fact, may be less annoying than a geared bike, as it eliminates the constant shifting and makes trackstanding much easier than a freewheel bike. On the other hand, out on the open road, I prefer higher gears. It's all about finding a compromise that works best for you in all situations.

Last edited by mihlbach; 05-18-21 at 08:25 PM.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 05-18-21, 09:49 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by TomM
Time to hone your track standing skills!
yes!