Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Roam 3 or Trek DS4?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-31-21, 11:07 AM
jhjjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm getting back into riding and decided a dual sport hybrid fits my needs. Anyone have thoughts on these two bikes? I value any input.
I just got my wife a Verve 3 Step through....
Old 11-01-21, 08:45 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I bought a 2018 Giant Sedona instead of the Sedona DX because I don't want the maintenance of suspension forks every 25 hours, and full service every 200 which requires disassembling the entire unit. Google "suspension fork maintenance" and you'll see why. This is a comfort bike where you sit bolt upright, Try one if you like, The bikes you're looking at have a more neutral seating position.

I think a hybrid like Giant's Escape or Escape Disc would be a better choice. Or if your budget permits, Giant's Toughroad. It's wide tires will make for a decent ride on most surfaces. For really big bumps I just stand up.
Trek and Specialized probably make similar products to those and I would trust them too. Right now the problem might be which ones can you get.

I'll be looking for a step through next time. I'm tired of climbing over either the seat or the crossbar, And for what? I ride for adventure and pleasure and have 0 interest in performance. There are some really sharp step through bikes today so style is not an issue.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 11-01-21 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-01-21, 12:44 PM
jhjjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the comment, xroadcharlie. My LGS has the escape models I am going to check out. There is only so much info to get online, and nothing like hands on.
BTW, I picked up my wife's Verve 3 step thru: Super sharp looking in what looks like "hot rod purple!"
Likes For jhjjr:
Old 11-01-21, 09:11 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by jhjjr
I'm getting back into riding and decided a dual sport hybrid fits my needs. Anyone have thoughts on these two bikes? I value any input.
I just got my wife a Verve 3 Step through....
The Roam 3 is substantially cheaper than the DS4 and wouldn't normally be seen as a natural competitor.

For 2022, Trek aren't offering the DS4 in the USA, only the Trek DS3, for $979.99.

The Roam 2 is Giant's highest USA Roam offering for 2022 and it is about $920.

Due to the DS3 having 32 spoke wheels instead of the Roam's 28 spoke wheels, I would choose the DS3, but if you are lightweight, then the Roam comes into the equation.

The Red of the DS3 looks gorgeous and would also help me pick it.

As for the fork services, my understanding is that for hybrid's like a DS or Roam, that they can go for a very long time without being serviced, unlike an expensive mountain bike suspension fork(if it is being used where it was designed to be used).
Old 11-02-21, 11:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Yes, Trek's and Giant's "trim" numbering goes in reverse order. Trek numbers its trims in descending order, from most expensive to least expensive. So DS 4 > DS 3 > DS 2 > DS 1. Giant numbers its trims in ascending order, from most expensive to least expensive. So Roam 1 > Roam 2 > Roam 3 > Roam 4. If you're looking in the $750-950 range, you're probably looking at the Roam 3 ($760) or Roam 2 ($910) and you're probably looking at the DS 2 ($790) or the DS 3 ($980).

All the bikes have hydraulic disc brakes and the same basic hybrid fork with hydraulic lockout. So the only real difference between them all is in the drivetrains. Roam 3 uses a 2x8 and Roam 2 uses a 1x9. DS 2 uses a 2x9 and DS 3 uses a 1x10. Where and how you ride will likely play a role in terms of which type of drivetrain will best fit your needs. And even then, you can configure any of them to suit your needs better if necessary with different chain ring sizes.

I'm not sure Giant's specification on the spoke count is correct. My 2018 Roam had 32-spoke wheels and the pictured Roams on their website have 32-spoke wheels. It's possible that they've gone down to 28-spoke wheels, though I think that's not likely given the "adventure" type marketing they have on these bikes.