Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re-sizing seatpost

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Re-sizing seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-22, 05:34 PM
cstar 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
Re-sizing seatpost

Hi all,

I know that many people might think what im setting out to do here is dumb, and maybe it is, but please humor me

I bought an SR four sir seatpost on eBay advertised as a 27mm. It showed up and is clearly marked 27.2. So irritating. However, it's not a very common post and it's gorgeous, so I'm contemplating shaving it down to 27mm. The seatpost is for my Centurion ProTour, which definitively uses a 27mm post. The 27 SR post it came with reads 26.89mm with my digital calipers. The 27.2 Four Sir measures 27.09. So I figure realistically I need to lose about 0.2mm in diameter, which seems achievable to me.

I understand that a machine shop could do this but I don't want to pay (although TBH I don't even know what they would charge). I am very handy and love a good project. I did some mechanical engineering education and have been working on bikes and cars forever and have done some fabrication type work. So I recognize that this is kind of a dumb undertaking but I would like to do it anyway and I think I can figure out a way to do this.

What I'm really looking to know is, what are your ideas for methods to reduce the post diameter? I have some ideas but the creativity and genius of strangers on the internet never ceases to amaze me... Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-22, 05:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I'd ask the seller to exchange it or refund your money. Or if the seller doesn't give you any relief, then file a complaint with eBay. eBay might refund your money even if the seller won't.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-03-22, 06:26 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
as long as it's not internally ovalized, you can do that much off quite safely. it takes a little time, but get some 60 grit paper and go to town. clean and polish it up with ultra fine wet paper. btw, if you need it to go down from 27.2 to 27, you only have to take off .1mm from the radius....which'll come to .2mm off the diameter
Old 02-03-22, 06:31 PM
cstar 

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd ask the seller to exchange it or refund your money. Or if the seller doesn't give you any relief, then file a complaint with eBay. eBay might refund your money even if the seller won't.
Thanks for the reply. I thought about doing that but given the rarity of the post and my feelings for it and the minimal amount to remove I'm feeling pretty set on modifying it
Old 02-03-22, 06:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
For 27.2 down to 27.0, you can probably do it with sandpaper. Perhaps pick up a caliper so you can monitor your work.

I have seen posts that people have cut down thinner on a lathe, but personally I wouldn't do more than a couple tenths of a mm.
Old 02-03-22, 06:34 PM
cstar 

Originally Posted by thook
as long as it's not internally ovalized, you can do that much off quite safely. it takes a little time, but get some 60 grit paper and go to town. clean and polish it up with ultra fine wet paper. btw, if you need it to go down from 27.2 to 27, you only have to take off .1mm from the radius....which'll come to .2mm off the diameter
Thank you, this is very helpful. I was contemplating different ways to sand it evenly. I could use some guidance on grits. I was afraid 60 would be too aggressive... I want to be able to polish it back out to the factory appearance which is quite nicely polished as many 80s high end Japanese components were

Do you think I will be able to polish out all the 60 grit marks? My plan is to work gradually finer, say 60-80-100-150-220 etc etc. I'm not that experienced polishing aluminum so I would love guidance re: the finish polishing
Old 02-03-22, 06:45 PM
cstar 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
For 27.2 down to 27.0, you can probably do it with sandpaper. Perhaps pick up a caliper so you can monitor your work.

I have seen posts that people have cut down thinner on a lathe, but personally I wouldn't do more than a couple tenths of a mm.
Agreed, that would scare me as well. The tube of this post has pretty thick walls as older seatposts seem to have so I'm also feeling pretty safe about it.

When you say caliper, do you mean a digital vernier scale type caliper or something else? I do have the former
Old 02-03-22, 06:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Taking off 0.1 mm with sand paper is a piece of cake. Don't be afraid...
Old 02-03-22, 06:56 PM
cstar 

Originally Posted by zandoval
Thank you!! 👍
Old 02-03-22, 06:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'd probably start at 100 or 120 grit, and see how the progress goes. Generally sanding on a block.

If you work up to the finer grits, 320, 400, 600, and 1000 grit, then it will give you a reasonable polished appearance without needing to go to a buffer.
Old 02-03-22, 07:16 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by cstar
Thank you, this is very helpful. I was contemplating different ways to sand it evenly. I could use some guidance on grits. I was afraid 60 would be too aggressive... I want to be able to polish it back out to the factory appearance which is quite nicely polished as many 80s high end Japanese components were

Do you think I will be able to polish out all the 60 grit marks? My plan is to work gradually finer, say 60-80-100-150-220 etc etc. I'm not that experienced polishing aluminum so I would love guidance re: the finish polishing
tbh, i think i'd started with 80 grit, but i really don't think it's going to matter until you get closer the the 27mm diameter goal. i'd done it by hand and just kept rotating and moving the post up and down. doing it that way, each successive pass kinda cancels out previous scratching by the paper. iow's, it'll come out smoother looking than you'd think being that you're sanding in all directions. i was lazy and skipped doing a bunch of progressive paper grit. maybe move from 80 to 200 and on to the finishing grit like 2000 or so. it really didn't seem to matter because at the end you'll be wet sanding and rinsing and that will move much of the aluminum particles off the surface making the 2000 grit paper work to smooth rather than making more scuffing. i hope that makes sense. you'll see what i mean. don't complicate it

ps. i should add i didn't go for an ultra polished look. rather i wanted the more dull bright or aged look since none of the other aluminum bits on the bike were high polished. the post still came out very smooth, though
Old 02-03-22, 08:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
A number of threads on this very subject to peruse.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eatpost-2.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=sand...&bih=617&dpr=1
Old 02-03-22, 08:21 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Have you actually done this? I did it once and it was a true pain. I felt like I sanded (with emery cloth to get better "wrap-around" contact) forever.
Old 02-03-22, 08:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Have you actually done this? I did it once and it was a true pain. I felt like I sanded (with emery cloth to get better "wrap-around" contact) forever.
...not certain what your problem was, but I've done it a number of times (5-10 ?) and it went pretty quickly for me. Maybe you were using very fine grit abrasive, which takes llonger ?
Old 02-03-22, 08:50 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Hi all,

I know that many people might think what im setting out to do here is dumb, and maybe it is, but please humor me

I bought an SR four sir seatpost on eBay advertised as a 27mm. It showed up and is clearly marked 27.2. So irritating. However, it's not a very common post and it's gorgeous, so I'm contemplating shaving it down to 27mm. The seatpost is for my Centurion ProTour, which definitively uses a 27mm post. The 27 SR post it came with reads 26.89mm with my digital calipers. The 27.2 Four Sir measures 27.09. So I figure realistically I need to lose about 0.2mm in diameter, which seems achievable to me.

I understand that a machine shop could do this but I don't want to pay (although TBH I don't even know what they would charge). I am very handy and love a good project. I did some mechanical engineering education and have been working on bikes and cars forever and have done some fabrication type work. So I recognize that this is kind of a dumb undertaking but I would like to do it anyway and I think I can figure out a way to do this.

What I'm really looking to know is, what are your ideas for methods to reduce the post diameter? I have some ideas but the creativity and genius of strangers on the internet never ceases to amaze me... Thanks in advance.
,,,first, before you start sanding anything, test the post you have in hand for the fit in the seat tube you want to use it in. Make certain that the frame seat tube slot is fully expanded, and grease the post prior to insertion. Don't force it, but it might already fit, depending on who reamed the seat tube last, and how exact they were in setting the reamer.

Proceed according to your results. Seat post diameters and interior seat tube diameters are an inexact science, at best.
Old 02-03-22, 09:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... Seat post diameters and interior seat tube diameters are an inexact science, at best.
The science is exact. But scientists don't draw the tubes, machine the posts or braze the seat lugs. Don't make parts or bikes on Monday or Friday.

Second using emery cloth. I'd start sorta fine, measuring before I start, sand so many swipes, rotate post, repeat then measure again. This will give you a feel for how much coarser you are comfortable with. I'd also make up wood blocks for my vice, secured in place and with grooves to securely hold the post with a quick tighten of the vise.
Old 02-03-22, 09:58 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I've done it. It would have taken forever done entirely by hand. I used a belt sander laying on its side. It took the bulk of it off enough to do the fine polishing by hand. Looked great and worked perfectly.
Old 02-03-22, 10:52 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Why not just check if the seat tube can handle being reamed out to 27.2? The ST I.D. will be perfectly round, your SP will fit as is and you'll be able to find far more posts in 27.2 if you need another at some point.
Old 02-03-22, 11:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
That's right!!! Check the hole first! It may not be the seat post at fault. I forgot all about this. Before you start be sure to check the ID of that seat tube. It could be way off or just need reaming of the upper portion...
Old 02-04-22, 12:15 AM
TPL

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Calipers ....digital ....and ....vernier ....are 2 distinctly DIFFERENT types of calipers ....digital is easier to read for most folks

Removing 0.2 mm using sandpaper will go as fast as the grit allows ....fine grit = slower process = ( more patience ) ....heavier grit = works faster = ( will likely require more finish polishing, see below )

final polish by using a green scotchbrite pad = patience
Likes For TPL:
Old 02-04-22, 01:58 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Taking a couple hundred microns off the diameter of an aluminum shaft is easy. A greater question is if the post has any anodize, including clear. That won’t return. Anodize is cheap on a per part basis, but the minimum order is usually more than the post is worth.
Mind you that probably won’t be a functional issue, I only mention it as you seem very cosmetically oriented and I don’t know what it looks like.

I’ve taken posts down in the past, ridden them through a salty winter, and had no issues so don’t worry about corroding it. There are plenty of bare aluminum bits on bicycles and it’s seldom an issue.

If you’re nervous I’d give it just enough with the coarsest paper you plan to use to get it looking scratched, then bring it to the finish/polish you want. This gives you a practice run on the polishing and if you measure as you go you’ll also find out how much diameter your cleanup steps remove.
Old 02-04-22, 08:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Add another vote for try it first.

If you do need to take it down, I'd suggest aiming for 27.0 rather than whatever your current seatpost is. That would mean sanding off 0.05mm rather than 0.1 mm. If that turns out still to be too large, you can take some more off. It's a lot harder to put material back on.
Old 02-04-22, 10:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Wouldn't sanding it down be horribly uneven? I can just see the post slipping at certain points and sticking at others. If you're a machinist with a lathe, sure, but I can't imagine something more crude doing anything more than causing headaches.
Old 02-04-22, 11:34 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I did this to a Nitto stem once. I used emory cloth, it will work better on metal than sandpaper. I used the cloth from a roll, which makes it easy to sand a round surface like a seat post or stem. Go slowly, check the size often, then use progressively finer sanding material, then rubbing compound followed by polishing compound for a good finish, depending on the finish desired of course. When I was done, you could not tell it had been altered.
Old 02-04-22, 12:28 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
... but given the rarity of the post ...
You should definitely not do anything goofy to it. Ask yourself this- would YOU buy a seatpost that's been sanded down by some guy in his garage? You are ruining the resale value of this part by doing something like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.