Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Best cantilever brakes for SRAM Apex 1 levers

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 08:39 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts

I'm thinking of upgrading my Cane Creek SCR5-V levers,Alivio V brakes and Dura-Ace bar end shifter on a Paul Thumbie for SRAM Apex 1 levers and derailleur. I'm also looking for the best cantis for those levers under $100 front and rear. I've tried the budget Tektro Oryx with my TRP RRL levers and they suck. They need to be able to clear 2.1 tires also.

What do you folks suggest?
Old 02-11-22, 07:55 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Haven't used them with Apex levers, but for new cantis I'd start with Avid Shorty Ultimates.

Old 02-11-22, 05:59 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Haven't used them with Apex levers, but for new cantis I'd start with Avid Shorty Ultimates.

I was just looking at those.a little.over budget though.
Old 02-11-22, 09:09 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
I have Paul Neo Retro cantis on my cyclocross bike connected to some SRAM Red brifters that do the job. They're running about $133/wheel right now though, worth saving up for if you can wait a bit or stretch your budget.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...kes/neo-retro/
Likes For Ubie:
Old 02-11-22, 11:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
'Hi, I want brakes for under $100.'
'Here are some that cost $265.'

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...kaAmADEALw_wcB
$40 each. Relatively easy to set up.
Brake pads are commonly a relatively inexpensive upgrade. Some koolstop pads could help, if you dislike the stock pads on whatever brakes you end up buying.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-11-22, 11:37 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Any canti brake will be dramatically improved with the addition of Mathauser brake pads ....a bit more expensive, but well worth it ( they also last longer than other pads )
Old 02-14-22, 08:53 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Avid Shorty Ultimates are the best cantilever brakes I've ever used, hands down. I tried 3 other types on my old CX bike and the Avid's are the only ones that were a noticeable improvement, and the easiest to setup/adjust and keep correctly adjusted. Yes, they're over the OP's budget. They work great with SRAM Force levers.

In the sub-$100 range, I don't think you'll find much difference in performance between cantilever brake models. Basic difference will be wide vs narrow. Any of these brakes can be set up to perform adequately, but in my experience they're all fussy and need frequent adjusting, and never seem to work that great. I have several sets collecting dust in a tool drawer right now as once I tried the Avid Shorty Ultimate, I never looked back.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of pros/cons on various cantilever geometry and how they work, how they should be set up, etc, I recommend reading info from both Sheldon Brown and Lennard Zinn on the topic:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...brake-shudder/

One other thing to consider. Your current setup uses V-brakes. These brakes provide a lot more power than a traditional Canti, but are not compatible with most drop bar levers. As a compromise, there are some "mini-v" brakes on the market that do work with standard road levers (like SRAM Apex) and will provide similar power as your Alivio V-brakes. The downside is that the pads have to be run very close to the rims, so if you're riding in mud this can become a problem.

I used TRP CX 9.0 mini-V's with my SRAM Force levers and they worked pretty well. I ended up going back to canti's for better mud clearance. The TRP CX8.4 is a shorter version that likely has a bit more wiggle room on clearance. This brake should work fine with your SRAM levers: https://trpcycling.com/product/cx-8-4/
Old 02-14-22, 08:21 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Avid Shorty Ultimates are the best cantilever brakes I've ever used, hands down. I tried 3 other types on my old CX bike and the Avid's are the only ones that were a noticeable improvement, and the easiest to setup/adjust and keep correctly adjusted. Yes, they're over the OP's budget. They work great with SRAM Force levers.

In the sub-$100 range, I don't think you'll find much difference in performance between cantilever brake models. Basic difference will be wide vs narrow. Any of these brakes can be set up to perform adequately, but in my experience they're all fussy and need frequent adjusting, and never seem to work that great. I have several sets collecting dust in a tool drawer right now as once I tried the Avid Shorty Ultimate, I never looked back.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of pros/cons on various cantilever geometry and how they work, how they should be set up, etc, I recommend reading info from both Sheldon Brown and Lennard Zinn on the topic:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...brake-shudder/

One other thing to consider. Your current setup uses V-brakes. These brakes provide a lot more power than a traditional Canti, but are not compatible with most drop bar levers. As a compromise, there are some "mini-v" brakes on the market that do work with standard road levers (like SRAM Apex) and will provide similar power as your Alivio V-brakes. The downside is that the pads have to be run very close to the rims, so if you're riding in mud this can become a problem.

I used TRP CX 9.0 mini-V's with my SRAM Force levers and they worked pretty well. I ended up going back to canti's for better mud clearance. The TRP CX8.4 is a shorter version that likely has a bit more wiggle room on clearance. This brake should work fine with your SRAM levers: https://trpcycling.com/product/cx-8-4/

Thank you for those suggestions. I should have checked this thread again before pulling the trigger.

I ended up going with the Box 3 V brakes as I found them for a good price. Actually they were the same price as the TRP CX8.4 except the Box brakes include flat bar brake levers.

The only difference I can tell other than aesthetics is that the Box brakes are 85mm,just 1mm longer than the TRP.

For reference this is what I bought and the bike it's going on.

​​​​​​
Edit: Those Voodoo decals were leftovers from another restomod I did and I only used them as a placeholder until I could figure out who manufactured the frame.

Last edited by BoozyMcliverRot; 02-14-22 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-14-22, 08:32 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

This is how it looked within an hour of me picking up the frame and fork for $20.