Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe G-One Speed - do the tiny knobs acrually do anything (on 33mm)

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-21-22, 08:09 AM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Not really, just got my hands on the G-Ones speed and very surprised by how subtle the texture of the tire is. I understand there's the All-round with bigger knobs, but at 30mm* width, does this low-profile round-dot centreline tread actually does anything at all on the gravel (dry crushed limestone type) as opposed to wide road supple slick?

Is this just a design feature to keep its look with the more knobby siblings?

EDIT: Sorry it is 30mm, got this confused with X-Ones ...
Likes For am8117:
Old 02-21-22, 10:50 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
It's more of a dimpled texture than a knob. The tire basically looks like a road slick and I doubt the tread is doing anything at all on dry gravel, but it might offer a bit more grip on wet?
If I had to guess, it's entirely aesthetic.

The BRR review/test results on this tire are interesting:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...be-g-one-speed
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-21-22, 11:17 AM
am8117

Originally Posted by msu2001la
It's more of a dimpled texture than a knob. The tire basically looks like a road slick and I doubt the tread is doing anything at all on dry gravel, but it might offer a bit more grip on wet?
If I had to guess, it's entirely aesthetic.

The BRR review/test results on this tire are interesting:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...be-g-one-speed
Ok so I'm not the only one glad to read that.

So if it's just design / marketing than why not go eg GP5000 with 1/3rd lower rolling resistance? I mean I don't know the others off the bat but even schwalbe has popular road ones that are made wide enough to compare and will have less rolling resistance. Weight won't be higher and pricing about the same. In case of schwalbe even the compounds I believe would be same with some road ones.
Old 02-21-22, 11:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by am8117
Ok so I'm not the only one glad to read that.

So if it's just design / marketing than
why not go eg GP5000 with 1/3rd lower rolling resistance? I mean I don't know the others off the bat but even schwalbe has popular road ones that are made wide enough to compare and will have less rolling resistance. Weight won't be higher and pricing about the same. In case of schwalbe even the compounds I believe would be same with some road ones.
Shouldn't be a problem if you prefer GP5000. It's available in both 30 and 32.
Old 02-21-22, 12:04 PM
msu2001la

IMO the GP5000 is hands down the best 25-32mm tire on the market. I have done a lot of light-duty dry gravel riding on tubeless 32mm GP 5000s and they're great for that. That same tire will be fast on pavement.

Compared to the G-one speed, the only downside I see is cost and maybe giving up a little bit of flat protection, though if you are running tubeless this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-21-22, 12:21 PM
am8117

Yep I know I can do that, I just really wondered what's the catch. At least Conti do not have confusing marketing with their Terra Speed and Terra Trail, the actually DO have knobs.

To compare apples with apples even Schwalbe has road slick, it's One TLE, comes 25-32 and it says the compound is ADDIX so that's exactly the same as the G-One Speed. I know the G-One Speed comes with wider sizes too, but for ~30mm is that it? Just marketing? Just to look more "Gravel"? Both wide road slicks and narrow Gravel "Speeds" being equal?

Links for convience:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-rea...hwalbe-one-tle
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel-r...be-g-one-speed
Old 02-21-22, 12:56 PM
am8117

Almost forgot, Schwalbe has the 35mm Kojak, which is totally slick also ADDIX w/RaceGuard and not heavy either. I know it's marketed as urban tire, but then the G-One Speed ... is that with "dimples" indeed.
Old 02-21-22, 07:11 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
IMO the GP5000 is hands down the best 25-32mm tire on the market. I have done a lot of light-duty dry gravel riding on tubeless 32mm GP 5000s and they're great for that. That same tire will be fast on pavement.

Compared to the G-one speed, the only downside I see is cost and maybe giving up a little bit of flat protection, though if you are running tubeless this shouldn't be a problem.
Have you ridden the G1 Speed to make a good side by side comparison? I have ridden both, and I can say that they both are fantastic tires in this width range. And the Rene Hearse is also a fantastic tire, but a wee bit more flat-prone. I ride RH currently on my gravel bike. You cannot go wrong with any of these three.
Old 02-21-22, 07:26 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Have you ridden the G1 Speed to make a good side by side comparison? I have ridden both, and I can say that they both are fantastic tires in this width range. And the Rene Hearse is also a fantastic tire, but a wee bit more flat-prone. I ride RH currently on my gravel bike. You cannot go wrong with any of these three.
I am sure they are good tires, but what I wondered about mostly was if the dimples are not for any practical purpose and they have comparable compounds then having a road slick on (of the same width) basically makes it better because ... the road slick will always be better on tarmac and not worse (the latter being hypothesis here) on hardpack. Both will be terrible on mud, grass, etc. but that's alright.
Old 02-22-22, 09:26 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I've not ridden the G one speed, I just see no reason why I'd run anything other than the GP5000 for this size range (30mm). If I were looking for wider than 32mm I'd probably consider it.
Same with RH tires. If RH had a 28-32mm tubeless road tire I'd definitely consider it. I don't want to run tubes though. Their wider stuff is fantastic.

And yeah, I've read Jan Heine's commentary on tubeless for road tire sizes. I disagree.
Old 02-22-22, 12:15 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by am8117
Not really, just got my hands on the G-Ones speed and very surprised by how subtle the texture of the tire is. I understand there's the All-round with bigger knobs, but at 30mm* width, does this low-profile round-dot centreline tread actually does anything at all on the gravel (dry crushed limestone type) as opposed to wide road supple slick?
Is this just a design feature to keep its look with the more knobby siblings?
EDIT: Sorry it is 30mm, got this confused with X-Ones ...
If we look at surfaces we ride on, it's easy to use a perspective of what we see from our standing height and our visual acuity. What seems 'smooth', always has some surface irregularity/corrugation. Depending on that irregularity and the inflation pressure of the tire, the tire will deform around those irregulaties, and put more surface area of the tire to the 'riding surface'.
the nubs have pliability, just as big deeper knobs have.
On a 'harder' irregular surface the small nubs should grip better than just a fully slick rubber tire surface. Small visual differences, which might have a big effect on handling in those situations.
I wouldn;t expect great differences from 'slick' type on loose surfaces like sand or deeper silt, but harder/packed soil, smooth rock and packed gravel, I'd expect these nubs to be realizably better gripping than slicks. A rider with good handling skills and looking for more speed, might like the balance/trade off of this type tire.
Question for me would be, how long BEFORE the center nubs wear enough for the tire to become essentially a 'centerline slick'...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 02-22-22, 04:57 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Agreed, they are all great tires. I have the original G-one allround, original speed, and original GP5000. Yeah, the GP5000 is significantly faster (roughly 10%).
Likes For chas58:
Old 02-22-22, 05:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
I used the 30mm S-One, which was later renamed G-One Speed, and could not figure out which conditions were ideal for that tire. Prior to entering the gravel collection, it was billed as a Classics tire, for like cobblestones and that kind of Flanders-ish stuff. It did not add any performance, insofar as I could tell, over a GravelKing (slick…that’s all there was back then), and actually seemed worse in dusty hardpack.

I generally like Schwalbe tires a lot— I have Pro One on two bikes now, and ran Kojaks on another until recently— but the S One tread pattern didn’t do it for me.

That’s not necessarily a commentary on the G One Speed, though, as the tread compound is different, as is the casing, so really could be much better now.

I’m quite chuffed with Herse Extralight casing rubber for my fast, summertime gravel needs (though I gotta run ‘em tubed with Schwalbe Aerothan).
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-23-22, 07:02 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by chaadster
I used the 30mm S-One, which was later renamed G-One Speed, and could not figure out which conditions were ideal for that tire.
the OG speed was a 60mm tire designed for beach racing in the Netherlands. Worked great for that I imagine. At the time, there was nothing on the market like that. It had the lowest rolling resistance on bicyclerollingresistance by a large margin (in its category) - I had never experienced a tire with so much cush and so much speed.
Old 02-23-22, 08:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
the OG speed was a 60mm tire designed for beach racing in the Netherlands. Worked great for that I imagine. At the time, there was nothing on the market like that. It had the lowest rolling resistance on bicyclerollingresistance by a large margin (in its category) - I had never experienced a tire with so much cush and so much speed.
Do you mean the Big One? I remember when that and S-One launched in ‘15, maybe as a MY16 line, and I rember first seeing Big One fitted on a Koga Beachracer, which looked so cool! Never rode the Big, though.

The first G-One Speed, as I recall, was the same 30c as S-One, and described as a rebrand of the S-One.

Last edited by chaadster; 02-23-22 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-23-22, 11:11 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by chaadster
Do you mean the Big One? I remember when that and S-One launched in ‘15, maybe as a MY16 line, and I rember first seeing Big One fitted on a Koga Beachracer, which looked so cool! Never rode the Big, though.

The first G-One Speed, as I recall, was the same 30c as S-One, and described as a rebrand of the S-One.
Yeah that is it. I put a set on my wife's MTB - since she doesn't ride off road ;-) Taking the "big apple" concept from commuter tire to race worthy 60mm slick.