Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Wear Logo’d Apparel?
No never, wouldn’t even think of it
57.14%
I only fly my own racing teams colors
16.33%
Enjoy logo’d apparel and makes me feel more racy
2.04%
Some times
15.31%
I mix and match logo’d and non-logo’d
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 10:21 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I only see his posts when they're quoted, but is he really illiterate enough to think that people are claiming aero benefits from the logos?
The fan club is out in force in this one lol.
Good stuff considering my first post in this cesspool of a thread was not simply about logos. It was a clear response to another poster that chimed in to make a terrible analogy regarding all sports apparel.
You regularly see recreational riders in full kit.
You very rarely see football or baseball fans in full uniform.
I’m sorry to break the news here but a NY Giants fan wearing a jersey anywhere is not the same as a recreational cyclist wearing full kit anywhere for any reason.
The irony of my fan club missing the entire point is awesome but will ofc be lost on them

Here’s my OP btw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I've never understood why it's ok for basketball/football/baseball/hockey/soccer/F1 fans to wear team gear all over the place, but if a cyclist does this, they're somehow seen as some kind of poseur pretending to be on the team. I can't actually think of another sport where this scenario applies.

I see people wearing college/pro basketball jerseys at the gym all the time. Never once have I been like "oh wow, is that actually Lebron James using that cardio machine?".

You are quite off base.
Nobody is wearing a basketball or football jersey and trying to claim they are doing so for aero or tech benefits
Old 03-01-22, 10:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Back in my youth, I had lots of Revell kits. I don't remember any of them being cycling kits, though.
Old 03-01-22, 10:29 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
This is Alpe d'Huez (during the 2011 Tour) wearing a jersey that was gifted to me on the spot, by a friend who's since passed on. I have occasionally encountered people who think I should abide by their "standards and ethics" regarding team apparel. My trip to the Tour was born out of a very grim cancer diagnosis in 2008. Thanks to modern medicine, I was able to survive and take a dream come true trip, ride roads that I've only seen in pictures or on TV and be cheered on by early arrival race fans. I have a whole host of pro team jerseys and wear them all the time, including the yellow Disco. I don't worry about what other people wear because I'm not a 14-year-old girl.

Last edited by nomadmax; 03-01-22 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 03-01-22, 10:31 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If we are going to change the post to be talking about kits, then I'll have to modify my answer more than likely. I was only talking about Jerseys. Different preferences might apply for shorts or bibs, socks shoes and etc.

However kit is a proper term for ones entire cycling wardrobe. So one shouldn't have issues with the word kit.

I realize the OP said apparel... no need to point that out! Most of the replies seemed to only be concerned with jerseys
Agree that kit = full ensemble of cycling clothing that one wears. I don't agree that kit = everything has the same logos on it. It's entirely possible that someone's kit would include a logo'd jersey paired with solid color socks, gloves and shorts that are still matching, but don't have logos. I would still consider that to be a kit. If stuff doesn't match, it would be mismatched kit.

More to your point, there is definitely a difference in terms of how far one takes wearing pro-logo apparel. A pro-team jersey on it's own is one thing. A pro-team jersey paired with matching pro-team bibshorts is next level. If you're also pairing this with pro-team logo socks and gloves - that's a serious statement. If you're involving shoes, sunglasses and helmets, wow... may as well get the matching bike.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-01-22, 10:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
So a single-syllable, three-letter word whose meaning is abundantly clear should be thrown over for a cumbersome, 16-letter, three-word term that means exactly the same thing, just because it bugs you and your friends? Good luck with that.
Agreed that it's silly. We've had this discussion before on BF, and while most clothing for an activity would in American vernacular be referred to as "gear", it probably ended up being the more British-sounding "kit" because "bike gear" would be too easily confused with mechanical parts.

More fun linguistic question--So I never wear cycling specific clothing (not looking for an argument about that), even on century-plus rides, but I wear a specific outfit (usually t-shirt and cargo shorts). Am I wearing a "kit" when I do this?

On the one hand, I don't think I am because the term "bike kit" might convey a specific standard list of items. Or is the phrase more like "work clothes", which will obviously vary with the type of work you do? .
I don't think there's a definitely right answer to .that, but if we're going to have silly arguments, might as well make it a new one (that's not directed at you personally).

None of the stuff I wear has any prominent logos on it, so now I'm sort of on the OP topic.
Old 03-01-22, 10:37 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

I can relate the two groups in only the very slenderest of similarities - the baseball fan might wear a baseball glove to a game for that one-in-a thousand (or thirty-thousand) chance he'll use it to catch a foul ball or home run ball. Otherwise, yeah, no fan is going to sit there in the stands watching the game in cleats, pads, helmet, supporter, etc, etc. And if he's watching it on TV, no glove needed at all.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-01-22, 10:40 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I can relate the two groups in only the very slenderest of similarities - the baseball fan might wear a baseball glove to a game for that one-in-a thousand (or thirty-thousand) chance he'll use it to catch a foul ball or home run ball. Otherwise, yeah, no fan is going to sit there in the stands watching the game in cleats, pads, helmet, supporter, etc, etc. And if he's watching it on TV, no glove needed at all.
You'd be surprised how many fans you'll see at a pro golf tournament walking around in......................spiked golf shoes.

Also surprising how many ladies you'll see in high heels at the same events.
Old 03-01-22, 10:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
If peope are looking for an agree-to-disagree, utterly unimportant dispute over vocabulary, how about "derailer"? I know that the late Sheldon Brown planted a flag on the "derailer" hill much as the late John Forester did for "Vehicular Cycling," but I never quite got what was wrong with "derailleur." English is stuffed with words borrowed from other languages and left unmodified. Why single out any particular borrowing?

The invariable use of "ridding" by one frequent poster where he means "riding": the less said the better.
Old 03-01-22, 10:42 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by prj71
Can we please quit calling them "kits" ?
Sounds like a passive-aggressive way of announcing to the world you're not a road biker.

Mountain biker, probably. Am I right?
Old 03-01-22, 10:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Good stuff considering my first post in this cesspool of a thread was not simply about logos. It was a clear response to another poster that chimed in to make a terrible analogy regarding all sports apparel.

I’m sorry to break the news here but a NY Giants fan wearing a jersey anywhere is not the same as a recreational cyclist wearing full kit anywhere for any reason.
The irony of my fan club missing the entire point is awesome but will ofc be lost on them

Here’s my OP btw:

Quote:
I've never understood why it's ok for basketball/football/baseball/hockey/soccer/F1 fans to wear team gear all over the place, but if a cyclist does this, they're somehow seen as some kind of poseur pretending to be on the team. I can't actually think of another sport where this scenario applies.

I see people wearing college/pro basketball jerseys at the gym all the time. Never once have I been like "oh wow, is that actually Lebron James using that cardio machine?".

You are quite off base.
Nobody is wearing a basketball or football jersey and trying to claim they are doing so for aero or tech benefits
Hmm. Your point is still opaque...If, that is, you have a point and are just ineffectively communicating it.

Those people in replica pro football or baseball jerseys aren't wearing them while actually playing those sports, while the cyclists in full kit are actually riding - which seems like a much better reason to be wearing such gear, doesn't it?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-01-22, 10:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by seypat
You'd be surprised how many fans you'll see at a pro golf tournament walking around in......................spiked golf shoes.

Also surprising how many ladies you'll see in high heels at the same events.
Sounds uncomfortable, both kinds!
Old 03-01-22, 10:46 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I'm still confused. I see people in full gear sometimes. Never really cared....looks expensive tho. Sometimes I wear really tight bike clothes. Sometimes it has logo. I often wear a tank top. I like padded shorts and cycling shoes. My favorite shirt last year was probably my vintage Beavis and Butthead tank top. I have a Jaws tank top too. Am I doing this logo thing right ??

/Sarcasm
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-01-22, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've sure seen enough pick-up basketball games where someone is wearing a team logoed jersey, and no one thinks twice about it or accusing the player of posing as a Celtic or whatever. People are claiming that cycling gear, logoed or not, is more aero, the logo has nothing to do with the benefits.
Old 03-01-22, 10:47 AM
msu2001la

Here’s my OP btw:

Quote:

You are quite off base.
I don't think there's that big of a difference between a NY Giants fan wearing a jersey to the gym, and a pro cycling fan wearing a pro team jersey while out riding their bike.

The fact that you are exaggerating things to cover a football jersey worn "anywhere" and the cyclist "wearing full kit" says something.

It's also OK if we disagree on this point. You don't need to keep repeatedly responding to the same post.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-01-22, 10:47 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
That settles it.

I'm riding naked from now on. That way, I won't offend anyone.

Or, maybe I will. Danged if you do, danged if you don't, I guess.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-01-22, 10:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Now would be a good time for that guy in the Road Cycling forum (who rides without a shirt) to check in for his insight. That's all we're missing here.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-01-22, 10:51 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
it probably ended up being the more British-sounding "kit" because "bike gear" would be too easily confused with mechanical parts.
It sounds British because it is. It means a complete set of something, as in kit and caboodle.

I wear a specific outfit (usually t-shirt and cargo shorts). Am I wearing a "kit" when I do this?
DKDC
Old 03-01-22, 10:51 AM
seypat

Agreed that it's silly. We've had this discussion before on BF, and while most clothing for an activity would in American vernacular be referred to as "gear", it probably ended up being the more British-sounding "kit" because "bike gear" would be too easily confused with mechanical parts.

More fun linguistic question--So I never wear cycling specific clothing (not looking for an argument about that), even on century-plus rides, but I wear a specific outfit (usually t-shirt and cargo shorts). Am I wearing a "kit" when I do this?

On the one hand, I don't think I am because the term "bike kit" might convey a specific standard list of items. Or is the phrase more like "work clothes", which will obviously vary with the type of work you do? .
I don't think there's a definitely right answer to .that, but if we're going to have silly arguments, might as well make it a new one (that's not directed at you personally).

None of the stuff I wear has any prominent logos on it, so now I'm sort of on the OP topic.
These would check both boxes. Work clothes and kit.

https://www.squidbikes.com/products/chamois-work-shorts
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-01-22, 10:57 AM
msu2001la

Cubs fan Ronnie Woo Woo would like a word with you:
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-01-22, 11:05 AM
Reflector Guy

Cubs fan Ronnie Woo Woo would like a word with you:
LOL On the South Side we had Andy the Clown. Just like Ronnie W., Andy never broke character.
Old 03-01-22, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote
Hmm. Your point is still opaque...If, that is, you have a point and are just ineffectively communicating it.

Those people in replica pro football or baseball jerseys aren't wearing them while actually playing those sports, while the cyclists in full kit are actually riding - which seems like a much better reason to be wearing such gear, doesn't it?
Right.

It is really a lame comparison because the real difference is that the kit someone would wear for solo or informal group riding is basically identical to the clothing one would wear for organized team wearing. If you're in an American football uniform complete with all the game-needed padding, etc., it will be because you're a member of a formal team, which will have its own uniform with standardized logos. In other words, the reason you don't see recreational baseball players wearing cleats and a MLB team logo is because they're probably wearing the logo of the recreational team they 're playing with.

And, yeah, touch football is a different game than tackle football, just to anticipate the next troll move by what's his face.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-01-22, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Wow you’re insecure. Not sure how you handle wearing your own skin.
Maybe he wears the skin of others.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-01-22, 11:09 AM
msu2001la

LOL On the South Side we had Andy the Clown. Just like Ronnie W., Andy never broke character.
Ha! I totally forgot about Andy the Clown. How terrifying.

Ronnie is so dedicated to his craft that when he attended the Blackhawk's Stanley Cup celebration, he wore a Blackhawks jersey on top of his Cubs uniform.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-01-22, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla
It sounds British because it is. It means a complete set of something, as in kit and caboodle.
"Tool kit" isn't particularly British, not any more than most English phrases. The difference is that the American usage is generally to use the word "gear" to a complete set of items associated with an activity while the British use "kit"

The usual troll move on this "debate" is to claim that Americans are being pretentious by adopting the British usage for bicycling, but the real reason is more likely the ambiguity of the word "gear" in that context..

Just as an example, I do hear Americans refer to "camping kit" from time to time, but I think "camping gear" is a lot more common.
Old 03-01-22, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I always thought of "kit" as a cycling team kit, but my interpretation could be too narrow.

The other kind of Kit:

Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.