Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Children can be so cruel!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Children can be so cruel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You've missed the point entirely.

Our language lacks a personal pronoun for cases in which we are referencing a generic individual-- generic because we're not talking about a specific person, or because we don't know the person's gender. It's a language problem, not an issue of gender roles.

And of course the lack of a gender-neutral personal pronoun is also a problem regarding non-binary individuals.

Actually, I rethought my earlier post and realized that there's really no problem with the linking verb being "are". " You" is also a plural and singular pronoun, but the linking verb is always "are".
Old 03-05-22, 02:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The bigger problem is that most of the derogatory pronouns are not gender neutral. As soon as you refer to a ****, a *********, or an ******* it identifies the subject of scorn as male or female. The English language needs a really vile, repulsive pronoun that can be used to insult someone, while still be respectful of gender identity issues.

Interesting perspective. So the issue is the need to equalize disrespect?

So we're really looking to fill in the blank: They're a _________.
​​​​
Old 03-05-22, 02:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The bigger problem is that most of the derogatory pronouns are not gender neutral. As soon as you refer to a ****, a *********, or an ******* it identifies the subject of scorn as male or female. The English language needs a really vile, repulsive pronoun that can be used to insult someone, while still be respectful of gender identity issues.
Au contraire… I believe some of those words are now indeed gender-neutral. One in particular is fairly popular with the British. Ever heard of Ricky Gervais?
Old 03-05-22, 03:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I simply think they used in the singular sounds ugly, especially when used back to back to back.
It does sound jarring, and it points out a failing of our language: there is no gender-neutral personal pronoun.
"They" as a singular pronoun is grammatically correct, whether you like it or not.
The Latin languages just use the masculine form for any mixed/neutral/ambiguous pronoun. I don't think that's any better.

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-05-22 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 04:06 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by urbanknight
"They" as a singular pronoun is grammatically correct, whether you like it or not.
The Latin languages just use the masculine form for any mixed/neutral/ambiguous pronoun. I don't think that's any better.
I think you’ve misunderstood me: I don’t dislike it, nor do I like it. I was just commenting on it. However, I learned something from your post, I appreciate that!

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/use-the-singular-they/
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-05-22, 04:30 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I think you’ve misunderstood me: I don’t dislike it, nor do I like it. I was just commenting on it. However, I learned something from your post, I appreciate that!

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/use-the-singular-they/
I was mainly bouncing off Indyfabz's comment that it sounds ugly, but yeah it does seem to be something that many people (including me at one point) don't realize even though they subconsciously use it all the time.
Old 03-05-22, 04:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, it could be worse, it could be German.

Mark Twain from "The Awful German Language":

"See how it looks in print--I translate this from a conversation in one of the best of the German Sunday-school books:

"Gretchen. Wilhelm, where is the turnip?

"Wilhelm. She has gone to the kitchen.

"Gretchen. Where is the accomplished and beautiful English maiden?

Wilhelm. It has gone to the opera.""
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-22, 04:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I was mainly bouncing off Indyfabz's comment that it sounds ugly, but yeah it does seem to be something that many people (including me at one point) don't realize even though they subconsciously use it all the time.

I realized a few months ago that I had been doing it conversationally all my life but not in writing. Then I realized how much easier it is to use the singular "they" in writing instead of "he or she" or the awful unpronounceable "s/he". So now I use singular "they" in writing as well.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-22, 04:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Then I realized how much easier it is to use the singular "they" in writing instead of "he or she" or the awful unpronounceable "s/he".
Easier to use " they " ??....What is so complicated about saying " he " or " she " ??
Old 03-05-22, 05:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Easier to use " they " ??....What is so complicated about saying " he " or " she " ??

Well, when I'm writing about an indefinite person it's a lot easier than typing "he or she.". As in "if someone is going to respond to a post, they should make sure their reading comprehension is adequate to understand what they're responding to."

The alternative involves typing "he or she" twice and "his or hers" once. I'm shocked that I had to explain that "they" and "their" is shorter.

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-05-22 at 05:17 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-22, 08:37 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Until you show some mastery of the most basic grammar and usage, plural pronouns should be the least of your concerns.

... should of been posted in P & R or some other website on internet which discusses world politics.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-05-22, 08:40 PM
Koyote

After reading your post about "they" and "their" now being accepted as singular non-gendered pronouns, I went out for a 50-mile ride and started thinking about the lack of a plural "you" in English...An equivalent to the French "vous," for example. The solutions to that gap are more regional: "y'all' in the South, "youse" in parts of NY and NJ, and -- my favorite -- "yinz" in the Pittsburgh area. I grew up in the upper midwest, where "you guys" is a non-gender way of addressing a group -- but that's cheating, since it's two words.

This has already been explained to you a few times, so I'll try to make it as simple as possible: sometimes you don't know whether the person you're referencing is a "he" or a "she." Example: when the nurse comes into the exam room and tells you that the doctor will be in shortly to remove your fingers from your ears, and you don't know the doctor's gender, it is grammatically acceptable to ask "When will they get here to remove my fingers from my ears?" Some people find this easier than saying, "When will he or she get here to remove my fingers from my ears?"
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-05-22, 10:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

After reading your post about "they" and "their" now being accepted as singular non-gendered pronouns, I went out for a 50-mile ride and started thinking about the lack of a plural "you" in English...An equivalent to the French "vous," for example. The solutions to that gap are more regional: "y'all' in the South, "youse" in parts of NY and NJ, and -- my favorite -- "yinz" in the Pittsburgh area. I grew up in the upper midwest, where "you guys" is a non-gender way of addressing a group -- but that's cheating, since it's two words.
I hadn't really thought about that either, and I live here in CA where "guys" is also gender neutral, but I've never heard of "yinz". I could adopt that quite easily!

Now it has been a long time since French class, but I believe "vous" is singular formal as well as plural, so even they didn't get it right.
Old 03-06-22, 04:31 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
they were drafting each other.
Without asking for permission
Old 03-06-22, 06:21 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And your gender panic surfaces yet again. Why are you so threatened by this?

Nice to see how many fronts you're fighting your reactionary culture war on, btw.
Why am I not surprised that you dusted off that tired and false argument.
It has nothing to do with panic or threat.
It has to do with standing up for science and truth.
I’m sure that you will be very happy when they start taking podiums from her.
Sorry if that always seems to trigger you

Last edited by downhillmaster; 03-06-22 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Let me guess, troll-boy just accused me of something....

My biggest fan

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-06-22 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It removes the possibility of being accused of gender bias towards the person being referred to as "they".
Old 03-06-22, 12:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
It removes the possibility of being accused of gender bias towards the person being referred to as "they".

There's no reason you need to defend your choice of pronouns. If you want to say "they", who's that guy to challenge it? And the gender of the people you identified as " they " literally had absolutely nothing to do with the story anyway.
Old 03-06-22, 01:02 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Skateboarders are infinitely cooler than cyclists. Runners, too. Hoverboard riders, people standing in line at a taco truck, people working in a taco truck, and people driving cars with the drivers-side window rolled down are more hip. We're nowhere near as stylish as curlers. The barber taking a smoke break outside the barber shop has more going on than us.

Arguably we're more cool than people bowling and throwing lawn darts - but they have beer close at hand.

If you wanna be one of the cool kids, pick another sport.
Impaling your friends is the coolest thing possible.
Old 03-06-22, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Impaling your friends is the coolest thing possible.

What?
I'm worried about you.
Old 03-07-22, 10:56 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
We wouldn't want to run afoul of whichever gender that particular individual would prefer to identify themselves as. So, "they" it is.
Old 03-12-22, 08:02 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
I want them off of my lawn.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-12-22, 09:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I love anecdotes from the path. We need a special thread for them.
Old 03-12-22, 09:47 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Things have changed since the 80's when I minored in English writing. Language and writing evolve.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-12-22, 09:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Since this thread has evolved, or devolved as the case may be, into an English writing discussion, let's examine these two sentences.

I can see the eyes of the child get that wide excited look and then he points and yells "look Mom, a skateboarder"!

I can see the eyes of the child get that wide excited look and then it points and yells "look Mom, a skateboarder"!

Is the latter grammatically correct?

Is the latter offensive in any way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.