Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade from a cheapo Haro Del Sol single speed to a Fuji Feather ?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-17-22, 01:22 PM
Apetimberlake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

A year ago I got a Haro Del Sol single speed here in Toronto for about $499 CAD (height of the pandemic price) and I regularly do about 1 or 2 30km rides a week and I would like something a little less clunky with minimal maintenance.

The fuji feather is appealing but it's close to 1000$ and I am wondering if it's worth it or if there are any other options you may suggest !
Old 04-17-22, 02:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Fuji, the feather looked nice-ish kind of vintage-y but nothing special. I would put the money towards a nicer frame and put some good components on it especially if you are riding often and make it work for you. A lot of pre built bikes aren't all that special and with a single speed or fixed gear you can build something really nice without spending quite as much as the same in a road of mountain bike of the same quality. You can still spend a lot but there are some mid range components that are decent but you can also pick and choose from important stuff and maybe go a little less cost on some of the less important stuff.
Old 04-17-22, 06:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Decide what you want from a new bike, whether it’s lighter weight, a better fit, nicer components, durability, versatility, etc.

If all you want is something new, that’s okay too, but having some specific criteria might help narrow the search.

I like the Surly Steamroller a lot, but it might not tick your boxes.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-17-22, 08:07 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I don’t know what shipping to Toronto might entail but bikesdirect has restocked the kilo tt which is three hundred bucks(US) cheaper’n the Fuji.
Old 04-20-22, 08:58 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Apetimberlake
I would like something a little less clunky with minimal maintenance.
Op...what do you mean by "less clunky" and "minimal maintenance"?
Are there parts that you can replace/upgrade to make it "less clunky"? I can't see how there's less maintenance than a SS bike.
Old 06-05-22, 10:29 AM
ItalDisco

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a 2014 Fuji Feather used for a decent price in TO market this Spring, they're definitely out there. I didn't mind a bit of paint chips. Super reliable bike, my every day commute. I recommend trying one out.