Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dry eye protection - goggle or glasses?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-16-22, 11:32 AM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Hi,
What’s working for you? Love to her to minimize dry eyes.
I’m currently using Wiley WX Gravity glasses which work well. It has a foam padding that seals the eye area. Works pretty well, though rough on windy days. I use gel drops before each ride and Clear eyes after. Looking for more eye protection.
Appreciate your insights.
Thx, Ron
Old 04-16-22, 07:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Haven’t found a good solution, so I carry eye drops. Purchased 4 styles of cycling glasses with broad coverage, but still the air/draft gets around them. Perhaps safety glasses would be the best.

Last edited by rsbob; 04-16-22 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-16-22, 07:53 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
the right googles would work ones that fit under a helmet. glasses only do so so unless they cover a lot. a helmet with a visor may be the easiest solution.
Old 04-18-22, 11:51 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
With the market awash with a wide variety of eye protection, expect lots of opinioned suggestions. Personal preference based on personal needs are the deciding factors. I’m troubled somewhat with “dry eye” symptoms and most often use generic “artificial tears” that I get at WalMart. I always carry some with me when out for a ride. Eye “pro” wise, I’ve multiple options from which to choose. My faves are gov’t contract UVEX eye pro issued when deployed to Iraq. A little bit of a “bug eyed” look but they provide complete protection and no field of view obstruction. I also have the WileyX (gov’t issue) eye pro that have the foam padding that prevents the entry of dust and debris. I do find that they tend to fog up easily and don’t use them very often. Another solid choice IMHO, are 3M Metaliks Sport safety glasses. Excellent field of view i.e. minimal obstruction (and less of a “bug eye” look). No foam padding but less tendency to fog up. All of the above are available with clear and/or tinted lenses. As mentioned at the start, my opinion based on my needs and preferences.
I think it goes beyond opinion but I believe that wearing some sort of eye protection is as important as wearing a helmet. Broken bones can heal and “road rash” eventually clears up but eye and brain trauma can have serious, lasting consequences. Just sayin’!
Old 04-18-22, 01:04 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I wear the large Rockbros glasses someone here on the forum recommended; they usually block enough wind that I am comfortable. Apparently I have Rosacea, and in my case it bothers my eyes; cold wind especially bothers them.

If I ride at night I wear clear safety glasses.
Old 04-19-22, 12:24 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Speedo goggles.....great for swimming too
Old 04-22-22, 02:26 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Speedo goggles.....great for swimming too
I tried this once because a certain time a year there was all these little ( no seema type bugs ) on the trail by the water. It was a complete failure. Fogged up so fast. I poked a bunch of holes in the googles, still did not help at all.
Old 04-24-22, 06:28 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I tried this once because a certain time a year there was all these little ( no seema type bugs ) on the trail by the water. It was a complete failure. Fogged up so fast. I poked a bunch of holes in the googles, still did not help at all.
I was kidding but try a dab of dish soap and smear it on the inner lens next time......
Old 04-24-22, 07:41 PM
matrosov

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have dry eye problem that is not easily resolved by "refresh" drops talk to your ophthalmologist. I developed this annoyance after my LASIK he inserted plugs in tear ducts and problem went away for the most part. For antifog I use "catcrap" name of the product actually, not a joke . Works great for my shooting oakleys which I wear for riding too .
Old 05-01-22, 01:35 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have found "safety glasses" that wrap around and keep the wind and dust out of my eyes. The fit needs to be such that the lens is close enough to my face to prevent wind hitting my cheeks and getting directed up to my eyes. The safety type also wrap around and keep wind and dust from coming around the sides while not restricting my vision.

Even the $9 Dewalt DPG55-11D safety glasses work very well and there are versions with clear lenses and ones with a dark gray tint or a yellow lens. There is no need to throw money away with the purchase of Oakley or other fashion sunglasses selling for 10-20 times as much.

I can afford Oakley or Scott sunglasses but I would feel like an idiot spending that amount of money to have a label on my sunglasses to boost my ego.
Old 05-01-22, 02:10 PM
Taymob

Bikes: Moots, Bianchi SBX, litespeed classic, Bianchi mega pro

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I have found "safety glasses" that wrap around and keep the wind and dust out of my eyes. The fit needs to be such that the lens is close enough to my face to prevent wind hitting my cheeks and getting directed up to my eyes. The safety type also wrap around and keep wind and dust from coming around the sides while not restricting my vision.

Even the $9 Dewalt DPG55-11D safety glasses work very well and there are versions with clear lenses and ones with a dark gray tint or a yellow lens. There is no need to throw money away with the purchase of Oakley or other fashion sunglasses selling for 10-20 times as much.

I can afford Oakley or Scott sunglasses but I would feel like an idiot spending that amount of money to have a label on my sunglasses to boost my ego.
Get some large glasses, goggles are goofy. Try rockbros best for the money. The photochromatic are my favorite.