Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1974 Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 01:52 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
1974 Paramount

Does this bike look legit? Says it has not been repainted but I dont see chrome lugs etc. Missing some decals that he says "wore off". Looks like a non original rear cluster and brake levers etc.

No affiliation what so ever. In the ballpark if its real?

https://monterey.craigslist.org/bik/...460049392.html

Last edited by Fairlane63; 04-27-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 02:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Pic Assist. Looks legit. Looks like a repaint.

1974 Schwinn Paramount - $875 (Salinas)

Old 04-27-22, 03:47 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 260 Posts
Seems a prerequisite that craigslist sellers provide crappy photos.
Hard to tell if it got a quality respray. Almost looks like they masked the badge. At least it's there. Those sell for big bucks.
He says Campy quick-releases, but only that rear lever looks like it.
If you've got a good parts bin, that would be a great bike to restore. Toss those spongy Weinmann calipers.
Old 04-27-22, 06:59 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Not all Paramounts came with chrome lugs, I have been told . This looks like the real deal and priced according to condition . I too believe it is a respray and hard to tell how good it is . The chrome is so/so but good for a rider. I think those are finned brake pads and it seems they get top money for those if you can find them . You would need some long legs for that bike.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-27-22, 07:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
$875 is $300 too much from my perspective.

I haven't researched it, but I doubt the '74 Paramount had shifter bosses and those top tube cable guides.

If it were fully overhauled and included decent pedals and Campy brake levers, it would get a little closer to the ask. Not a lot of folks want '80s sew up rims on an early '70s bike.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 04-27-22 at 07:16 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-27-22, 08:27 PM
Fairlane63

Originally Posted by SurferRosa

I haven't researched it, but I doubt the '74 Paramount had shifter bosses and those top tube cable guides.

If it were fully overhauled and included decent pedals and Campy brake levers, it would get a little closer to the ask. Not a lot of folks want '80s sew up rims on an early '70s bike.
Doing a quick image search you are right about the cable bosses. Most of the pictures show chrome ones that wrap around the top tube.
Did the campy side pull brakes only come on the chrome frame bikes? My brother had a chrome 72 and it had them but most of the painted frame Paramounts have the center pulls it seems at least in the image search and the 74 Schwinn catalog?
Old 04-27-22, 08:37 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The photo of the rear dropout is good enough that I can see the "Scream" face reflected from what looks like the back of a phone.

It appears clear that it either isn't a 1974 or it has been modified. The 1974 catalog shows the touring model Paramount as having cable guides BELOW the top tube, 2 of them, and the racing model has cable clamps. Both appear to have center pull brakes.
Old 04-28-22, 03:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Yea, it is a 1974 as per the serial number , and , it has been modified as stated above. I think this is the P13 racing version because there are no eyelets on the dropouts. I think if it is your size and can get it at a decent price it would be a nice bike. I would , personally , like to see it back to original. The racing version was available with Campagnolo NR brake set and Superlegerri pedals . The wheels may be ok but not period correct , so you are looking at another few Ben Franklins to get it to somewhat original by the time you put decals etc. i would definitely work on the asking price.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 04-28-22 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 04:03 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Yea, it is a 1974 as per the serial number , and , it has been modified as stated above.
I think this is your answer. The mods probably hurt the value to a true collector and I think the seller’s price point takes this into account. Maybe $100 too high but I don’t think it’s out of the ballpark.

BTW, here is a recent sales comp on BF

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-p15-sale.html

Last edited by plonz; 04-28-22 at 04:22 AM.
Likes For plonz:
Old 04-29-22, 11:37 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairlane63
Doing a quick image search you are right about the cable bosses. Most of the pictures show chrome ones that wrap around the top tube.
Did the campy side pull brakes only come on the chrome frame bikes? My brother had a chrome 72 and it had them but most of the painted frame Paramounts have the center pulls it seems at least in the image search and the 74 Schwinn catalog?
Weinmann center pull brakes were standard equipment, chrome frame or painted. Campy side pulls were an optional upgrade. If your brother's 72 had Campy brakes, it's because someone either (1) paid extra for them originally or (2) replaced OEM Weinmanns at a later date.

Yes, that is a legit Paramount serial number - the format and the location are correct. The same number should also be on the steerer tube of the fork..

As you noted, those are not OEM brake levers - whether Weinamann of Campy, the originals would have had the cables coming out the top of the lever. The aero type levers on this bike didn't come into use for some eyars after 1974.

The frame looks to my jaundiced eye to have been repainted. That red does not quite look like OEM Schwinn red of the time, and as noted it has braze-ons that are anachronistic for a 1974 frame. My guess is that it's a good rider but not a pristine show piece and should not priced like one. As suggested, check eBay's completed sale listings for Paramounts of similar vintage to give you a better idea.

One factor not mentioned yet. The owner's answers sound sketchy to me. The decals did not "wear off." Paramount decals of that era were pretty robust - there are toms of examples out there of similar vintage with intact or mostly intact downtube graphics. Those decals were colored lettering on a clear sheet, and the clear is often noticeably yellowed by now, but they do not wear off that completely.. And where is the 531 sticker? Those things wear can wear off over time, but they inevitably do nto go gentle into that good night and leave clear evidence of having been there - shreds of the sticker, or at least a discolored rectangle where it was stood proudly.. I see nothing like that on this specimen. I am 95% sure it was repainted and no new decals were put on except for the generic-looking rainbow world champ stripes on the seat tube, and those are remarkably pristine considering the other graphics supposedly wore off. That kind of misinformation from a seller makes me suspicious of anything else he has to say. For me, that would be reason enough to look elsewhere.
Old 04-30-22, 02:10 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Seems a prerequisite that craigslist sellers provide crappy photos.

He says Campy quick-releases, but only that rear lever looks like it.
Yeah, that nut is decidedly Dura Ace.
Old 04-30-22, 06:39 PM
red5996

Bikes: Multiple

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

I'm with SurferRosa here. $875 seems like too much for this mix and match bike. You could start with $595, and see if you get any takers, but be prepared to answer a lot of questions that others are mentioning here.
Old 05-01-22, 12:30 AM
Fairlane63

Thanks for all the help and information everyone! Think I will let someone else buy it.