Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

ebike conversion kits for Trek and Schwinn

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

ebike conversion kits for Trek and Schwinn

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 12:59 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by jplee3
What battery(ies) do you suggest and also sizes btw? And what's the deal with the torque arms? Sloppy was saying earlier that it is a concern.

Looks like ebikeling has bundles and the 500w w/ a 36v 12.8AH bottle style battery is $689.99 so you save a bit buying both together:
https://www.amazon.com/EBIKELING-Wat...dp/B09F525V6D/

Not sure if that's a big enough battery or if I should look for something even larger. I'm not quite sure of our use cases thus far but I'm also envisioning potential rides to the beach/harbor and back which could get into the 20-30+mile range depending on route.

Five years ago I added an Ebikeling 500w kit with a 36v 12AH battery. It had a range of about 35 miles, however after about 20 - 25 miles the performance would begin to drop off and the bike was less responsive - sometimes needing to use a higher PAS level on some hills. Last fall I upgraded to a 16AH battery with significant performance improvement. So far I have noted no performance drop-off and even after 20+ miles the display shows the battery at full. I haven't tested the max range yet, but on one occasion I rode about 19-20 miles and neglected to recharge. The next day I rode an additional 15-16 miles and the display indicated slightly above 1/2. I anticipate it would have a 40+ range with no problem.
Old 05-03-22, 01:08 PM
jplee3

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Five years ago I added an Ebikeling 500w kit with a 36v 12AH battery. It had a range of about 35 miles, however after about 20 - 25 miles the performance would begin to drop off and the bike was less responsive - sometimes needing to use a higher PAS level on some hills. Last fall I upgraded to a 16AH battery with significant performance improvement. So far I have noted no performance drop-off and even after 20+ miles the display shows the battery at full. I haven't tested the max range yet, but on one occasion I rode about 19-20 miles and neglected to recharge. The next day I rode an additional 15-16 miles and the display indicated slightly above 1/2. I anticipate it would have a 40+ range with no problem.

Thanks for the feedback! Were you using pedal assist in this case(and with that, are there different modes of power with pedal assist? If so, which mode were you on?)?
Old 05-04-22, 09:13 AM
jplee3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Take a look at Lectric's light, 20 mph, 46 pound, $795 model if you're thinking of a complete. The co-founder has been involved with e-bikes for a long time. However, you mentioned that you ride in a hilly area. This could present a problem for "hubbies" since if you're riding in steep areas with long ascents, the rule of thumb is to maintain about half the top speed of your bike or too much energy is transferred to heat and could ruin the motor.
I did see the Lectric bikes which also are enticing. The mental roadblock is having more than one bike each for myself and my wife hahaha. I don't really want to deal with reselling (if I don't have to) which leaves us with converting. Would mid-drives be better for the hills then btw? I don't think there are too many super steep hills here. I do see kids on ebikes quite a bit but most of them are the fatter tire kind (or at least ones that look more like the Lectrics, Rads, etc)
Old 05-04-22, 10:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
If others are riding hub systems, you should be able to also. There's no compelling reason to use a mid-drive unless the hills are really steep or for full on MTB (not just riding on dirt trails). DW's suggestion of e-Bikeling is good, but there are other options. You might convert one bike and see how you or your wife like the end product before proceeding with a second.
Old 05-04-22, 11:00 AM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Were you using pedal assist in this case(and with that, are there different modes of power with pedal assist? If so, which mode were you on?)?
This was in pedal assist - I never used the throttle (actually removed it a couple years ago as it was in the way when I added some larger ergon grips and bar ends.) I also upgraded the display/controller when I replaced the battery. The original had only 3 levels of PAS - I used level 1 most of the time with level 2 for tough hills. That gave approx 15mph, a safe speed for riding in the mix of users on the local MUP trails. The new unit has 5 levels - I use level 2 most of the time (15mph prox) and level 3 (about 17-18mph) sometimes when the trails are relatively free of traffic or I'm riding a bike lane on the street.
Old 05-04-22, 03:05 PM
jplee3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If others are riding hub systems, you should be able to also. There's no compelling reason to use a mid-drive unless the hills are really steep or for full on MTB (not just riding on dirt trails). DW's suggestion of e-Bikeling is good, but there are other options. You might convert one bike and see how you or your wife like the end product before proceeding with a second.

I see. What other kits are there that you'd recommend besides ebikeling btw? And what size battery would you suggest as well? Seems like for the motor 500w is probably the way to go in our case.
Likes For jplee3:
Old 05-04-22, 03:34 PM
2old

yescomusa.com ($225 for a direct drive kit), where I procured my 48V, 1000w kit; Rice (Amazon, about $300) for my 48V, 500w geared kit; many others on ebay.
Old 05-04-22, 06:13 PM
jplee3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yescomusa.com ($225 for a direct drive kit), where I procured my 48V, 1000w kit; Rice (Amazon, about $300) for my 48V, 500w geared kit; many others on ebay.

If the legal limit is 750w, how do you get away with any of those kits that are bigger (e.g. 1000w, 1200w or 1500w)?
Old 05-04-22, 06:51 PM
2old

I didn't know the rules when the 1000w kit was procured (I realize that's no excuse), but you're right, and should limit to the US max of 750w. I am decommissioning the 1000w system in favor of the 500w for now since a problem could surface if I get in an accident and someone realizes the "bike" is illegal.
Old 05-04-22, 08:51 PM
jplee3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't know the rules when the 1000w kit was procured (I realize that's no excuse), but you're right, and should limit to the US max of 750w. I am decommissioning the 1000w system in favor of the 500w for now since a problem could surface if I get in an accident and someone realizes the "bike" is illegal.

Ahh ok. I was trying to find the "Rice" brand - "Ricetoo" is what I came across. The price range is roughly the same as ebikeling so not sure if I'd be saving a ton. They also seem more limited in their selection and I've only seen "1500w" offerings which would be ruled out. In any case, I probably will just start with one of the ebikeling mods (maybe to my wife's Schwinn bike) and see how it goes from there.

Last edited by jplee3; 05-05-22 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 05:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
If the legal limit is 750w, how do you get away with any of those kits that are bigger (e.g. 1000w, 1200w or 1500w)?
As long as you limit the speed of the system to the legal speed limit for an ebike in your area there won't be any issues. The only side effect of the more powerful system will be more power and torque for hills. The police care about speeds here in the USA, and really don't break chops UNLESS you're a speed demon.
Old 05-05-22, 05:10 PM
jplee3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
As long as you limit the speed of the system to the legal speed limit for an ebike in your area there won't be any issues. The only side effect of the more powerful system will be more power and torque for hills. The police care about speeds here in the USA, and really don't break chops UNLESS you're a speed demon.
I see... I was curious about this -how do you limit the speed on the ebike? Is there a switch or toggle on the motor to set a lower wattage ceiling or something? I thought I saw that some of the Amazon sellers won't even ship the higher powered motors to CA... I could be wrong though. Last thing I'd want of course is to install a 1200w motor, get "pulled over" by a cop for something unrelated to speed (or perhaps they might still pull me over anyway because they think I'm going to fast), check and note that it's over 750w and then end up confiscating the bike or something like that hahaha... doubt they'd do that but I'd hate getting written up or getting a ticket etc.
Old 05-05-22, 05:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
I see... I was curious about this -how do you limit the speed on the ebike? Is there a switch or toggle on the motor to set a lower wattage ceiling or something? I thought I saw that some of the Amazon sellers won't even ship the higher powered motors to CA... I could be wrong though. Last thing I'd want of course is to install a 1200w motor, get "pulled over" by a cop for something unrelated to speed (or perhaps they might still pull me over anyway because they think I'm going to fast), check and note that it's over 750w and then end up confiscating the bike or something like that hahaha... doubt they'd do that but I'd hate getting written up or getting a ticket etc.
Depending on the display, you just enter the (secret) settings menu, and then make the appropriate adjustments.
Old 05-05-22, 06:37 PM
2old

tds, exactly my experience from a lot of errands on the bike. I just slowed down and pedaled when encountering the gendarmes.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-06-22, 02:08 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Jusf stumbled across this and its tempting:
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/716461

Btw why wouldnt i be able to convert to disc brakes on either bike?
​​​​​
If you have the caliper mounts, it's easy. Otherwise, it's an awful job unless you like to tinker in the garage. They sell adapter plates, but they're not one size fits all, and each has to be fitted to your actual bike. Takes me about two days to get one right with my limited machine shop, but at least I have a drill press.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 05-06-22 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 12:58 PM
scrolltonowhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are some good and low cost mid drive kits btw? BBS02?
I'm working on a 90's Trek Multi-track hybrid with a Tongsheng Tsdz2 road kit. I pad $300 for the 36v motor and found a battery for around the same price. For more electric bike related questions endless sphere forum is a great resource for everything. People get real geeky but there are more on the surface level questions and answer as well.
Likes For scrolltonowhere:
Old 05-09-22, 12:59 PM
scrolltonowhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After I bought my 90's trek without knowing which components needed to be replaced, I ended up having to replace nearly everything aside from the rims and the rear derailleur so far. I feel like maybe I should've just bought a frame
Old 05-26-22, 01:56 PM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scrolltonowhere
After I bought my 90's trek without knowing which components needed to be replaced, I ended up having to replace nearly everything aside from the rims and the rear derailleur so far. I feel like maybe I should've just bought a frame
Great way to learn about bike maintenance though. How I did it. I decided to resurrect an old 3 speed. I also got an education in removing rusty bolts.
Old 05-27-22, 08:32 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
On my 1991 Trek, I replaced the front fork just to have the front suspension, Also changed out the rusted brake cables and v-brakes. New trigger shifters and cables. New tires/tubes. Kept the original seat, front/rear derailleurs, freewheel, chain, crank and pedals. The front fork was a major learning experience, but still easy.