Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Straightening? Park HTS-1?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-17-22, 09:11 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 317 Posts

Does anyone know if there are any shops or hobbyists who do minor frame checking and straightening?

There was formerly a tool called the Park HTS-1 that would push-out small bends in a frame by pushing on the head tube. Ideally I'll locate a HTS-1 (probably worth having one anyway), but I'm willing to have the frame straightened by a person or shop who does that kind of work (I'm in the eastern US). I have an electroforge welded frame with a very slight hump in the top tube I'd like to have checked and straightened. I see no bulges or other damage besides the slight hump. I have the project pulled apart and might as well have it gone over while everything is apart.
Old 05-17-22, 10:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Does anyone know if there are any shops or hobbyists who do minor frame checking and straightening?

There was formerly a tool called the Park HTS-1 that would push-out small bends in a frame by pushing on the head tube. Ideally I'll locate a HTS-1 (probably worth having one anyway), but I'm willing to have the frame straightened by a person or shop who does that kind of work (I'm in the eastern US). I have an electroforge welded frame with a very slight hump in the top tube I'd like to have checked and straightened. I see no bulges or other damage besides the slight hump. I have the project pulled apart and might as well have it gone over while everything is apart.
That tool can be hard to come by, dangerous in the wrong hands and often challenging to get the desired outcome with.

Most framebuilders can do this but I suspect an electroforged frame presents a special challenge so might be harder to find someone.

You could start with these for a consult at least.

Franklin frame

Yellow jersey

Bilenky
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-17-22, 10:27 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

one purpose-made tool for this is the Little Brute, a modified automobile jack...

-----
Old 05-17-22, 11:13 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 317 Posts
The Brute would push on the fork as well, which I am looking to avoid because the fork seems to be alright.

The issue appears to be entirely confined to the top tube, a fairly gradual hump of between 1/16" or thereabouts deviation from straight, about 2-3 inches back from the weld joint. No cracks, folds, or distortions in the tube that I can see. I would think the HTS-1 would be the way to straighten it in fairly simple fashion and without too much effort.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 05-17-22 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 12:02 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I'm with merziac, I have two frames done by a local frame builder at a reasonable cost on his Marchetti frame table and Laing fork table, outstanding results. One a Reynolds 853 that Reynolds will tell you can not be cold set.
Old 05-18-22, 12:13 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I had a local shop straighten a steel frame, Specialized Crossroad, that I had given to a friend. He accidently ran over it, but, fortunately, only the fork was ruined. I do not know how they did it, and they could not get it completely straight. but could not tell when riding.
Old 05-18-22, 12:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The Brute would push on the fork as well, which I am looking to avoid because the fork seems to be alright.

The issue appears to be entirely confined to the top tube, a fairly gradual hump of between 1/16" or thereabouts deviation from straight, about 2-3 inches back from the weld joint. No cracks, folds, or distortions in the tube that I can see. I would think the HTS-1 would be the way to straighten it in fairly simple fashion and without too much effort.
-----

can be employed without a need to press upon the fork

remove fork and use steel bar through the head tube

-----
Likes For juvela: