Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GUB computer mount - has anyone tried one?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-18-17, 08:13 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for a sturdier Garmin/GoPro mount for my road bike, and I ran across this option:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0748FT/

It's aluminum (my current one is plastic) so it seems like it should hold the camera steadier, and it's significantly cheaper than the K-Edge. But I can't find any reviews anywhere. Has anyone on here tried this mount?

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 11-19-17, 05:51 PM
Nash Deluxe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I've been using one for about a year now and like it a lot. Purchased on eBay (shipped from China) for around 20 USD. Can't tell you how well it holds a GoPro as I use mine to mount a light. It does feel very sturdy though.

Old 11-20-17, 01:03 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nash Deluxe
I've been using one for about a year now and like it a lot. Purchased on eBay (shipped from China) for around 20 USD. Can't tell you how well it holds a GoPro as I use mine to mount a light. It does feel very sturdy though.
Thanks for the info!

I noticed that yours seems to be mounted "upside down" compared to other pics I've seen. Is it reversible?

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 11-20-17, 01:29 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
GUB seems to be the only company that makes this out of aluminum. The listing on Amazon is obviously from China based upon the shipping time and the notation "May arrive after Christmas". Try eBay instead where you can see the same item in red or black for $17.45 postpaid and with the same shipping times. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GUB-Alloy-B...PxE0nz6JwJqg6w

I have a GUB handlebar extender that I have used for a couple of years. It is strong and durable. I can lift the front of my recumbent trike by the extender and it doesn't break. These days there are quite a lot of aluminum/carbon fiber extenders so the price has dropped more than half below what I paid for mine.
Old 11-21-17, 12:08 AM
Nash Deluxe

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Thanks for the info!

I noticed that yours seems to be mounted "upside down" compared to other pics I've seen. Is it reversible?
Yup. I flipped it over because I prefer my light mounted a bit lower. This puts the Garmin directly at bar level rather than slightly above. Just had to remove the screws and swap the Garmin/GoPro mounts.

Last edited by Nash Deluxe; 11-21-17 at 12:11 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 11-21-17, 05:59 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
GUB seems to be the only company that makes this out of aluminum. The listing on Amazon is obviously from China based upon the shipping time and the notation "May arrive after Christmas". Try eBay instead where you can see the same item in red or black for $17.45 postpaid and with the same shipping times. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GUB-Alloy-B...PxE0nz6JwJqg6w
Thanks for that. I'm not in a hurry, so the xmas thing doesn't bother me, but I might as well save a few bucks. K-Edge makes an aluminum mount too, but it's something like 60 bucks.

The one you liked to mounts under the stem bolts. I didn't like that idea at first, but now I'm not so sure. Hmmmm..

Yup. I flipped it over because I prefer my light mounted a bit lower. This puts the Garmin directly at bar level rather than slightly above. Just had to remove the screws and swap the Garmin/GoPro mounts.
And that's exactly what I'd do. Thanks! This helped a lot.

Old 11-21-17, 06:48 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I've been looking at these mounts, and yeah I've been turned off by the K-Edge's high price for what it is. I may have to order one of these cheaper ones. I use a Garmin and a NiteRider light on separate mounts, and it would be really nice to have one mount for both of them and declutter my cockpit a little. Thanks for the link!
Old 11-21-17, 11:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I debated with myself about going with a cheap out front mount, and then casually reminded myself that the mount would be holding my $250 Garmin and $100 light. So I somewhat grudgingly spent the $60 on the K-Edge XL Combo. Loathe as I am to spend money, I have not for a single moment regretted the money spent on the K-Edge. It was worth the expense.
Old 11-22-17, 12:00 AM
SethAZ 

Btw I don't even care how that light and Garmin mount looks, I just wanted to point out, since nobody else has that I saw, that this bike is fscking gorgeous!
Old 11-22-17, 12:06 AM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I debated with myself about going with a cheap out front mount, and then casually reminded myself that the mount would be holding my $250 Garmin and $100 light. So I somewhat grudgingly spent the $60 on the K-Edge XL Combo. Loathe as I am to spend money, I have not for a single moment regretted the money spent on the K-Edge. It was worth the expense.
We're not always so rational. I'm choking at paying K-Edge the $60 for their mount to hold my Garmin and $100 light, and I just paid $75 for a custom titanium stem spacer that will have zero benefit over the stack of aluminum spacers that I already have other than that it will match the rest of the bike and look cool. I can't explain it. The funny thing is that if K-Edge made a titanium version of that mount and charge $125 for it I'd probably do it. Yeah, I know.

Your post is at least making me think about it. There's a pretty good chance that I'll still go with the cheaper mount if only because thanks to those other things I picked up for the new bike, my "dull roar" rate of bike spending is perilously close to that threshold where the Comptroller General of the family will decide to perform an impromptu audit.

I do want to get something, though, because I just readjusted the Garmin mount on my bike so that it was a little easier to read, and now my Nightrider light is hitting the very top left corner of my Garmin and creating an annoying bright spot in my near-field vision. I'd like to relocate that light to the out-front mount, underneath the garmin.

This shouldn't be a problem because in theory I get up early in the morning and get my rides in before work, but in practice I'd estimate at least two of my rides end up being night rides each week. Like tonight's.
Old 11-22-17, 12:35 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker

I have a GUB handlebar extender that I have used for a couple of years. It is strong and durable. I can lift the front of my recumbent trike by the extender and it doesn't break. These days there are quite a lot of aluminum/carbon fiber extenders so the price has dropped more than half below what I paid for mine.
Nope. Try K-edge. They are aluminum. and best quality and more aero if that matters, but more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/K-EDGE-Garmin...ds=k-edge&th=1

Last edited by GeneO; 11-22-17 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 12:39 AM
DoYouDiverge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for a sturdier Garmin/GoPro mount for my road bike, and I ran across this option:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0748FT/

It's aluminum (my current one is plastic) so it seems like it should hold the camera steadier, and it's significantly cheaper than the K-Edge. But I can't find any reviews anywhere. Has anyone on here tried this mount?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Cyclin...72.m2749.l2649

I purchased this one and am very happy with it. The out-front design makes the cockpit cleaner.
It's aluminum and can fit a light or camera underneath.
Highly recommended, for $15 its a no brainer. Took 11 days to arrive to USA.

Here's my Bryton mounted.

Last edited by DoYouDiverge; 11-22-17 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 12:49 AM
Nash Deluxe

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Btw I don't even care how that light and Garmin mount looks, I just wanted to point out, since nobody else has that I saw, that this bike is fscking gorgeous!
Thanks! It's a relatively cheap/nondescript Nashbar frame, but it cleans up nicely with the right bits.

Originally Posted by SethAZ
I do want to get something, though, because I just readjusted the Garmin mount on my bike so that it was a little easier to read, and now my Nightrider light is hitting the very top left corner of my Garmin and creating an annoying bright spot in my near-field vision.
This is exactly why I switched to combo mounts. Flipping my light mount upside down remedied that issue, but everything just looked wonky. Form over function I guess.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I definitely understand this sentiment, but my previous setup was plastic and held everything just fine. It was just bulky and ugly as sin. I use a tiny Garmin 500 so I wasn't very worried about the robustness of the mount.
Old 11-22-17, 01:30 AM
SethAZ 

This is exactly why I switched to combo mounts. Flipping my light mount upside down remedied that issue, but everything just looked wonky. Form over function I guess.
I'd flip my light over on the handlebar mounts but the brake lines and Di2 cables coming out under the handlebar tape right there prevent it. It's either up on top of the bar, or else out front on one of these combo mounts. I'm gonna go with a combo mount. I'm actually kind of intrigued by the one that mounts to the front of the stem plate now. It's not quite as nice looking, but very functional and cheap. I too use the Edge 500, and so I'm not worried about it fitting or anything. Given the up angle of my stem it's probably fairly visible too. Can you exchange the positions of the Garmin mount and the Gopro mount so that you can flip it over and use it on the top stem plate bolts instead?
Old 11-22-17, 01:45 AM
SethAZ 

Ok. Just ordered this one off fleabay, around $23 shipped. Looks nicer than the one linked in the OP in my opinion, and is shorter so it won't stick out as far (but will be fine for my Garmin Edge 500 and should be fine for the Niterider light too).

I'll still need the Gopro mount adaptor for the Nightrider light, which will cost about as much from K-Edge as this whole combo unit just did.
Old 11-22-17, 08:07 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up with the GUB black handlebar mount one. I'll post pics/a review when it arrives in Dec.

Old 11-22-17, 08:19 AM
SethAZ 

I ended up with the GUB black handlebar mount one. I'll post pics/a review when it arrives in Dec.
That's cool. The fleabay one I ordered is coming from the US, and I ordered the K-edge Niterider adaptor for gopro mounts off Amazon, so I'll have some pics up of this thing on my bike in a few days.
Old 11-22-17, 02:28 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the one from BDop (GoPro Genie). Not quite as cheap at $40, but it's hard to find an out front mount that works with the bars on my Giant. $1/gram, lol. I think it looks pretty nice. Can't flip the mounts, though; it's one piece plus the Garmin insert.
Old 11-22-17, 02:42 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
I use the one from BDop (GoPro Genie).
That one looks nice, and I like the fore-aft adjustment. Does it have a GoPro mount as an option?

Old 11-22-17, 02:45 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That one looks nice, and I like the fore-aft adjustment. Does it have a GoPro mount as an option?
GoPro mount is part of the body of it. You get it whether you want it or not.
Old 11-22-17, 04:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have the K-edge combo XL mount and it works really well - very solid and reliable. I don't regret spending $60 on it.

I will say that I'm pleased to see that this mount from China doesn't appear to be a simple knockoff of somebody else's design - it actually looks like it's ultimately more flexible with options than my k-edge.
Old 11-22-17, 06:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I somewhat like the unit diverge linked to, especially the idea of being able to add a stick battery charger. Only issue is it doesn’t tilt, and I find that the viewing angle of my G1000 needs a slightly different angle then my stem.
Old 11-22-17, 08:49 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Only issue is it doesn’t tilt, and I find that the viewing angle of my G1000 needs a slightly different angle then my stem.
Tilt angle is why I ordered the handlebar mound as opposed to the stem bolt mount. I can just see the angle being perfect for glare to obscure the thing.

Old 11-26-17, 02:17 AM
SethAZ 

Ok, I need to follow up on the link I posted to this thread for the cheap garmin/niterider combo mount that I ordered.

I've got it mounted, and it works - sort of. I'll explain. It's actually short enough that the very back of the Niterider light hits the back of the mount when I attempt to depress it low enough to shine where I need it to on the road.

Now, it can be made to work, and that's what I've done. Using a file I removed a little wedge of aluminum from the back end of the mount to allow it to depress a little more. It's now on the verge of usability, but I'm going to take it off and file a little bit more. It seems to be strong enough, it mounted up just fine on the front of my stem front plate, etc. The spacers are longer than I need them to be, and if I could find an easy way to cut them down by 4 or 5mm evenly and uniformly I'd probably do it, but it's not a big deal if it sticks out a little further than strictly necessary.

There is another version of this same mount that I've now discovered on eBay is the same thing except with the arms a little longer. This would actually be a little longer than it needs to be for the Niterider but it would allow the Niterider to depress enough, when mounted to a 6-degree stem like mine, to shine right where you need it to. I might just spring for the new version, or I might not seeing as how I've modified mine already and it will be perfectly usable. I will file off just a little more metal and it'll be perfect.

Here's what it looks like. I'll put up a photo of the cockpit of my bike with the old separate K-Edge Garmin mount on one side of the bar and the Niterider rubber mount on the other side. The cockpit was pretty busy with this setup. Having this mount on really cleans the whole thing up nice. It's a very slick concept. I'm not afraid of it being mounted to the stem front plate at all. I used some blue locktite on the bolts and torqued it appropriately, and I see no reason to fear it ever coming loose or anything.

Old cockpit:

Cockpit now with the garmin/niterider combo mounted. Notice how much cleaner and sleaker the cockpit is:

The unit with garmin and Niterider 950 mounted, from the side:

This shows the mod I had to do to the mount. I filed a little depression into the bottom front edge of the mount where the Niterider was just barely hitting it. I actually have to file this a little deeper to get it depressed the last little bit that I need for it to be perfect. I hit this filed section with a black sharpie and you'd never tell that I'd filed some aluminum away by looking at the bike. If I were buying this again I'd buy the longer version and avoid doing this hack, but I'll probably just keep using the one I have now that it's (almost) pointing right where I need it. I have no reason to believe that removing this bit of aluminum will compromise the strength of the unit or anything. It's plenty beefy enough already for what it does.
Old 11-27-17, 04:46 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@SethAZ, thanks for posting those pics. It's too bad that the stem bolt mount design doesn't include some sort of adjustability. Like maybe a knurled hinge that you could tighten once you got the comp/light at the desired angle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.