Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2020 Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO PRO DISC

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-16-20, 12:22 AM
zsir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone bought one from bikes direct yet? Really curious how much it weighs and how the rear caliper mounts.

fantom disc
Old 02-16-20, 02:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
No but they look like either IS or Post mount calipers. It probably weighs quite a bit and is certainly full of cheap parts. The price they list is a fake price they made up to make it feel like you are getting some sort of great deal. Also good to keep in mind if you are expecting this to be a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
Old 02-16-20, 06:28 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Looks like a decent bike and deal to me. You're not gonna find anything better (new) at that price. If I were looking for that type of bike I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get it. Go for it and give us a review!
Old 02-16-20, 07:53 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
veganbikes being a current bike shop guy, his campaign against Bikes Direct is understandable. That said, I worked in bike shops for 15 years (including a shop where I sold Motobecanes in the 1970s), and I miss bike employee discount pricing, so I've bought two $1,000+ Bikes Direct Motobecanes. Both are great bikes. Buying from Bikes Direct is as close as you can get to buying at bike store employee pricing.
Old 02-16-20, 09:00 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I'll put the over-under at 25 pounds. My money is on over.
Old 02-17-20, 09:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Trakhak
veganbikes being a current bike shop guy, his campaign against Bikes Direct is understandable. That said, I worked in bike shops for 15 years (including a shop where I sold Motobecanes in the 1970s), and I miss bike employee discount pricing, so I've bought two $1,000+ Bikes Direct Motobecanes. Both are great bikes. Buying from Bikes Direct is as close as you can get to buying at bike store employee pricing.
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
Old 02-18-20, 05:00 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It has a butted chromoly frame AND fork, so for $399 it's not a bad deal. Obviously it's not going to be light but most of the pigness will be in the cheap wheels. Some of those BD models are the exact same bike as one from a major brand, just rebranded. The Windsor Tourist is a rebranded older model Fuji Touring. Take that Fantom Cross at that price and call it a Fuji then everyone would say what a great deal it is.
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It would be good to find someone that has actually purchased one to speak authoritatively about it. Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion but nothing substitutes for having one and riding it.
Having said that, I tend to agree with Veganbikes and would recommend shying away from online dealers if you can. I am not singling anyone out. Buying local keeps the shops open, employs local people and gives you a place to go for support.
You cannot underestimate the value in that. Some things are worth paying a little more for.
I also agree that inflated MSRPs and "sales" tend to get old. How about just listing the bike and the price and letting the consumer decide if it is a deal or not?

There are some that don't have a local shop they can depend on, or don't see a value in supporting one. I guess in that case, let the buyer beware. Do your research and roll the dice.
Old 02-18-20, 02:16 PM
zsir

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Most of us are very familiar with the "typical" 4130 chromoly frame and can form an opinion

.Do your research and roll the dice.

What is your opinion of the 4130 chrmo frames? I bought the Dawes SS bike with chromo frame/fork from BD for $209...The bike weighs 24lbs takes a 32C tire. Once I dialed it in, it rolls real nice, turns easy and rides lighter than it's 24 pounds. I'm considering the Fantom beacuse it's chromo, SS, disc brake and takes a wide tire....I'm guessing it has a 120mm rear drop out, I'd like to see how the caliper mounts. I'm down with supporting local bike shops. I can only imagine what a though business model that must be, but truth be told I work on my own bikes and I'm not to concerned with warranties on one of these low end bikes especially the parts on it.
Old 02-18-20, 02:25 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by zsir
What is your opinion of the 4130 chrmo frames? I bought the Dawes SS bike with chromo frame/fork from BD for $209...The bike weighs 24lbs takes a 32C tire. Once I dialed it in, it rolls real nice, turns easy and rides lighter than it's 24 pounds. I'm considering the Fantom beacuse it's chromo, SS, disc brake and takes a wide tire....I'm guessing it has a 120mm rear drop out, I'd like to see how the caliper mounts. I'm down with supporting local bike shops. I can only imagine what a though business model that must be, but truth be told I work on my own bikes and I'm not to concerned with warranties on one of these low end bikes especially the parts on it.
I have to be honest and say that for the price, it is probably a very good deal. The frame says it is custom butted and tapered. So we know it is not straight-gauge tubing and is likely reasonably light. I don't know where else you could possibly get a bike that meets all of the criteria, disc brakes, wide tires, etc. for that money. And if you don't need the support of a local bike dealer, I wouldn't blame you for taking the plunge. If I were in the market, that one would be getting serious attention. If you do buy it, make sure to report back please.

Regarding the wheel spacing, it is anybody's guess. You could reach out to them and ask.
Old 02-19-20, 11:22 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes but Motobecane in the 70s was an actual real company making some really solid bikes that are worth something. Bikes Direct is a name they took to put on cheap stuff and sell it at what you think are good prices because they say everything in on sale compared to finding this elsewhere unfortunately they are the ones who sell the name Motobecane and nobody else so they are not really on sale. It is a trick to get you to buy something. If I have an item that is permanently on sale and I show it as 28% off all the time, it isn't really on sale I am just basically scamming you into thinking it is on sale rather than just being honest. At least with employee pricing I am getting a true discount mainly because I sell their product and in some cases sell a lot of their product.

Sometimes yes a bikes direct bike might have a few nice parts on it and they can certainly undercut people but you don't get to test ride anything and you either have to know how to build it yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't know if they have any warranty but you can be damn sure you will have no support through it and will have to go at them alone which ain't a lot of fun (I am a warranty manager, I know). Plus you won't really get support from the shop when you have issues. They will likely be willing to fix it but it won't be a free tune up or warrantied work because you chose to support the internet instead of the bike shop.
This is all important for consumers to know and BD is very nontransparent about it. When it comes to lower priced mail-order stuff, it seems like Planet X is starting to solidify as a good option, depending on shipping cost out of the UK. They don't really hit the steel or cheap single speed bracket, but they seem to have some really decent stuff. Company is now employee owned as well apparently.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 02-19-20, 02:41 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
But this Fantom Cross Uno is just so wrong in so many ways. I'm not going to go into detail - either you immediately get it, or you don't.
It sounds to me like you got nothin'.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-19-20, 10:08 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
If the Kilo TT is a Steamroller copy, this is just a Nature Boy copy but with fork zits to make it an easy target for bicyclepubes.
Old 09-28-20, 09:39 AM
cykelk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked one of these up to replace a stolen commuter (hard to find replacement bikes right now), so figured I'd answer a few of the questions for future shoppers. Feel free to add more Qs if you have them.

Sizing: I'm 6' 33" inseam and bought the 58cm bike. The TT / reach feels good, stand-over is fine but I wouldn't want any shorter an inseam. I probably would have been good on a 56cm bike as well.
Weight: ~27.5 lbs (with the cheapo pedals provided)
Brakes: 51mm IS mount

Front rotor was severely warped when the bike arrived, but the only pain when "building" it was getting the brakes to run cleanly. Haven't had a chance to do a real test yet but will post back when I do.
Old 09-28-20, 10:32 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
No but they look like either IS or Post mount calipers. It probably weighs quite a bit and is certainly full of cheap parts. The price they list is a fake price they made up to make it feel like you are getting some sort of great deal. Also good to keep in mind if you are expecting this to be a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
I haven't bought this particular bike but I bought a road bike from Bikesdirect. They are real bikes. They list the components included on each bike and they aren't fke components. Yes, Motobecane no longer exists as a French bike company. Bikesdirect bought the name. The bikes are made in Taiwan in the same factory that many if not most bikes are made. I bought a Motobecane Sprintour road bike with full Ultegra drivetrain, breaks and shifters. The components alone were worth the price I paid for the bike. If you are a label ***** then don't buy from them. If you know what you want in terms of size, geometry and component mix, then you can find what you want as they seem to have lots of different options.

I love how people who have no idea what they are talking about make statements that only make them look like imbeciles. The prices are real. I know, I bought one about 20 years ago and I'm still riding it.
Old 09-28-20, 12:10 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62
I haven't bought this particular bike but I bought a road bike from Bikesdirect. They are real bikes. They list the components included on each bike and they aren't fke components. Yes, Motobecane no longer exists as a French bike company. Bikesdirect bought the name. The bikes are made in Taiwan in the same factory that many if not most bikes are made. I bought a Motobecane Sprintour road bike with full Ultegra drivetrain, breaks and shifters. The components alone were worth the price I paid for the bike. If you are a label ***** then don't buy from them. If you know what you want in terms of size, geometry and component mix, then you can find what you want as they seem to have lots of different options.

I love how people who have no idea what they are talking about make statements that only make them look like imbeciles. The prices are real. I know, I bought one about 20 years ago and I'm still riding it.
When he say's the prices are fake I think he's referring to this. The sale price is just the normal price, and the list price is just made up it's not listed for that price anywhere.
"2021 Motobecane
Fantom Cross UNO PRO

SALE $399.95 (List $995)"

Last edited by Philasteve; 09-28-20 at 12:14 PM.
Likes For Philasteve:
Old 09-28-20, 06:49 PM
cykelk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PSA: don't even do a shakedown ride on the pedals provided. I got a full two blocks before one splintered into my shin...it cracked at the spindle.
Old 09-28-20, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by MntnMan62

I didn't say the components are fake or the bikes are fake but the name is a bunch of B.S. designed to give their bikes fake prestige. The bikes are not at all the same as the other bikes being made in Taiwan. Making it in the same place doesn't mean the same quality at all. It is not like BikesDirect is paying anyone to do a bunch of real R&D and testing and all the stuff that say Specialized or Kona or Trek or whoever does.

Philasteve got it correct their prices are a big joke. No sales no nothing just a bunch of B.S. You aren't going to sell a bike saying generic open mold frame at bargain bin prices but Motobecane on SALE it is more attractive.

The components being hung on them may be good components that is fine but just be honest about it. Honesty is always the best policy.
Old 09-28-20, 09:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
a Motobecane it is not, they bought the name to give the bike some prestige that doesn't exist.
I've seen plenty of old Motobecanes and plenty of these new ones and from my experience bikesdirect as done a fine job of keeping the quality of the brand as poor as it ever was; new or old I've never seen one that inspired me to want to run out and buy one but if I couldn't afford better they're not a bad bike, they're just a motobecane.
Old 09-28-20, 10:56 PM
MntnMan62

Originally Posted by Philasteve
When he say's the prices are fake I think he's referring to this. The sale price is just the normal price, and the list price is just made up it's not listed for that price anywhere.
"2021 Motobecane
Fantom Cross UNO PRO

SALE $399.95 (List $995)"
Ok. I understand what he's saying now. I never really pay any attention to list prices anyway for anything. If I've done my research I know what all the sale prices everyone else is selling the same product for which makes any list prices completely meaningless anyway.
Old 09-28-20, 11:03 PM
MntnMan62

I didn't say the components are fake or the bikes are fake but the name is a bunch of B.S. designed to give their bikes fake prestige. The bikes are not at all the same as the other bikes being made in Taiwan. Making it in the same place doesn't mean the same quality at all. It is not like BikesDirect is paying anyone to do a bunch of real R&D and testing and all the stuff that say Specialized or Kona or Trek or whoever does.

Philasteve got it correct their prices are a big joke. No sales no nothing just a bunch of B.S. You aren't going to sell a bike saying generic open mold frame at bargain bin prices but Motobecane on SALE it is more attractive.

The components being hung on them may be good components that is fine but just be honest about it. Honesty is always the best policy.
Say what you will. I knew I wasn't buying a Motobecane when I bought it. I wanted a utilitarian road bike that I could have fun riding and get myself into some sort of shape. And that bike has lasted me over 15 years. And it still rides like it was brand new. I also know that while the frame may not have the R&D behind it like the other "big names" but they are well built and with a complete Ultegra kit on it, I paid significantly less than a similarly equipped "big name" brand. Since I'm not racing or on some team and I'm no road snob or brand wh***, this bike is pretty darn excellent.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-29-20, 08:06 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
...Planet X is starting to solidify as a good option, depending on shipping cost out of the UK. They don't really hit the steel or cheap single speed bracket, but they seem to have some really decent stuff. Company is now employee owned as well apparently.

It is indeed sad that Planet X is no longer pursuing this market. Outside of a few city-ish bikes, they obviously have decided to go modern. And let us not forget One On & their Il Pompino & other Pompino-ish bikes. Not to mention that not all that long ago Planet X/On One was actually getting into it pretty strongly via some old brand names they bought but handled in a different manner than Bikesdirect does theirs. I have a "Holdsworth Laquelda" bike I built from a frame I got from them that they were selling sooo cheap and it nobly serves its purpose for me. Maybe modern production neo-retro-kinda vintage is not so big anymore?
Old 10-16-20, 03:42 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just put mine together. Went with the charcoal. Not too bad as a semi beater ride for the city. Rides super smooth. The rear caliper mount bothers me a little, but I've heard using chain tensioners on the drop outs will help. The only thing that actually kinda bothers me is that it's HEAVY. Might replace the crankset with something like an SRAM Courier 300, but I'm not sure what to do with the wheelset. Anyone know if a good replacement that'll shed some lbs without being too expensive? Bought it for cheap and I'd like to keep it that way lol
Old 02-01-21, 04:34 PM
DAC76

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cave12man
Just put mine together. Went with the charcoal. Not too bad as a semi beater ride for the city. Rides super smooth. The rear caliper mount bothers me a little, but I've heard using chain tensioners on the drop outs will help. The only thing that actually kinda bothers me is that it's HEAVY. Might replace the crankset with something like an SRAM Courier 300, but I'm not sure what to do with the wheelset. Anyone know if a good replacement that'll shed some lbs without being too expensive? Bought it for cheap and I'd like to keep it that way lol
I’ve also been interested in this bike. Can you tell me how heavy it is and what size the frame is?
Old 02-01-21, 06:41 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC76
I’ve also been interested in this bike. Can you tell me how heavy it is and what size the frame is?
Mine clocked in under 25 lbs. with the 52cm frame on the Uno Pro. The pro has a lighter alloy chainring, crankset, stem, WTB Riddler tires (not bad actually), etc. The other issue is the odd size 26.0mm seat post limiting options. The wheel set is the heavy part of the bike, unfortunately finding a rear 120mm disc hub wheel is non-existent. You can either swap out to rim brakes or try expanding the track fork ends to 130mm. I believe another owner on here did just that to fit lightweight wheels while keeping the disc brakes. If you go with rim brakes, luckily there are mounts if you decide to switch to get more wheel set choices.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably opt for the Kilo WT (the wide tire version of the Kilo TT) which is also a gravel capable bike with rim brakes and decent components. Unfortunately it's out of stock. The Fantom Cross is okay, but BD cut corners to hit their price point. You only realize the shortcomings after tinkering with the bike.

Last edited by jonathanf2; 02-01-21 at 06:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.