Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how long to ride each day or almost each day to start burning stomach fat

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-18-20, 12:48 PM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i got some tummy trying to get rid off, aside from diet, what is the daily recommended ride length or period approx to start burning belly fat?
Old 08-18-20, 01:12 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
I've lost 75 pounds this year. I rode as much as I could. Saddle comfort and ability were my initial limiting factors. Now I'm riding about 150 miles a week.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 08-18-20, 01:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I ride 150 miles a week and still weigh the same as I did 6 months ago.

Diet is the only way.
Old 08-18-20, 01:18 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Everyone looses fat in different places first. You cannot spot lose fat if that was implied in your question.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 08-18-20, 01:21 PM
ArmyAng

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Losing fat is going to require a look at your nutrition. Biking will help burn calories, but you have to consume fewer calories than you're burning to lose fat.
Likes For ArmyAng:
Old 08-18-20, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
That question is completely unanswerable. Depends on too many factors to count let alone calculate from. Basically, though, you will not lose belly fat unless you're losing body fat generally, and where the fat is and where it stays when you lose weight is largely determined by genetics.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 01:44 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Riding and weight loss

According to health experts, cycling not only raises your heart rate but also has the capacity to burn significant amounts of calories. Doing this exercise on a daily basis will help you burn more calories, which means you'll be able to lose fat stored in your body fat, including your abdominal fat. But it's not really that simple. Here' are a few good articles (See links).

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...t-lose-weight/
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/...ose-1kg-of-fat
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...cycling-163887

I always put a bit of weight on over the Winter, normaly about 6-7 lbs and normally around my waist. This winter just gone was a lot less as I used the indoor turbo trainer. Three sessions a week lasting one hour at medium to high intensity (Zone 3 and 4 Heart rate based) I cut back on my sugar intake and cut out a lot of processed foods. Come March I start to ride outdoors...I ride between 70-100 miles per week, 7-9 hours per week, at an intensity level of Zone 2 - Zone 4. I ride until October if the weather is on my side Then back indoors on the turbo trainer. So let's say I'm 140 lbs one week after Christmas by the first week of May I'm 130 lbs. I don't work really hard to get the weight off I just lose it. Then again I've never been a big guy. As for dieting...never bothered with it, still eat pretty much any thing that comes my way...in moderation, but I don't count calories. Ain't got time for that It works for me. But as mentioned above we all lose weight differently and at different rates...Bit of a guessing game giving it a time scale.

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 08-18-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 01:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Itd be pretty cool if we could target weight loss to specific parts of the body.
Old 08-18-20, 01:59 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Ride for an hour and change your diet to less calories.
Old 08-18-20, 02:01 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
i got some tummy trying to get rid off, aside from diet, what is the daily recommended ride length or period approx to start burning belly fat?
As much as you have time for and enjoy doing. 10 minutes is better than nothing and 6 hours is better than 10 minutes.
Old 08-18-20, 02:10 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyAng
Losing fat is going to require a look at your nutrition. Biking will help burn calories, but you have to consume fewer calories than you're burning to lose fat.
This and another poster also noting you cannot burn fat in spots.

From personal experience, you've got to look at what you're eating, track it and maintain a daily calorie deficit. Focus on eating a balanced diet and use cycling as exercise (as well as enjoyment). Just watch out with overeating on days that you ride.

Giving my anecdotal experience, I got back into road cycling after a few years in June. I struggled to lose weight at first but after changing my diet and tracking it, is when it started to fall off.
Old 08-18-20, 03:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
Cycling isn't a good way to loose belly fat. I see a lot of skinny cyclists out there who have an overall slim appearance and who still have too much belly fat. Diet and calories do play a part but fat loss is mostly hormonal. Cycling is too easy and doesn't produce enough hormonal response in your body to burn fat. Belly fat is the most difficult form of fat to loose and spot reduction won't work no matter how much you ride.... You need to do other exercises and other forms of training to produce a stronger hormonal response which will burn belly fat.
Old 08-18-20, 03:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
A rule of thumb is that you'll burn 100 Calories in three miles. Figure out how many Calories you eat every day, divide by 33, and ride more miles than that. Some of that will come off your belly, but there's no way to figure how much.
Old 08-18-20, 03:44 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I ride 150 miles a week and still weigh the same as I did 6 months ago.

Diet is the only way.
This times 100000x

Exercise is for your health. Tone your muscles, better cardio, heart, etc.. Sure you will burn more calories but you can not exercise a bad diet ever.
No such thing as spot reduction either. You will lose weight every where. So even though you lose 10lbs it might only equal 1/2 inch on your waist.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 08-18-20, 03:44 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Area-specific weight loss is not really a doable thing. Your body determines which parts lose fat, and in what order they lose it. For us older dudes, pretty much everything else gets cuts in that line.

But, overall, the best thing to do is to ride your bike. Ride it for quick trips when you would normally drive. If you're doing weekend bike-path rides, ride to them. Grab your bike on a random Tuesday afternoon and go toodling around the neighborhood. Don't think about riding to lose fat, just ride to ride. No ride is too short. No ride is too long.

Riding bikes is fun. Even when it sucks.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-18-20, 04:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Table presses.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-18-20, 04:03 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Bike fasted. Avoid carbs and seed oil. GL YMMV.
Likes For burritos:
Old 08-18-20, 04:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
181 minutes of continuous pedaling at no less than 53.1 miles per session. Alternate your weeks from 6 days to 4 days. Consume unadulterated water.
Old 08-18-20, 04:51 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Fork put downs and plate push aways are more effective than riding. Riding will certainly help though. Belly fat will be the last to go and the first to come back if you return to surplus calorie intake. Tracking everything you eat/drink is a good way to stay motivated. I use MyFitnessPal. 6'2" 147lbs.
Old 08-18-20, 05:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
There are a zillion theories about body fat, particularly belly fat, and how to lose it.

One theory says elevated cortisol is linked to belly fat, and reducing stress helps reduce cortisol levels. Studies indicate cortisol is elevated in people with chronic pain, so getting stress and pain under control may help. That's really tough this year due to the pandemic and related economic pressures. (Avoid the news and social media, apparently major sources of stress for some folks judging from what I hear from friends who are obsessed with their daily doses of micro-outrage over dozens of offenses over anything and everything.)

What worked for me was cutting way back on carbs (especially beer) and sugar, eating more meat and eggs for protein (I get gas from legume proteins, even with digestive enzymes), but I don't go full keto. I've been able to add more dairy by betting lactose free milk, etc.

I do fasting rides once in awhile, 60-90 minutes, very easy pace, with only water or electrolytes minus sugars/carbs. If you're not sure about blood sugar bonks, try this indoors on a trainer. Or walking for 60-90 minutes, fasting, with only water. Be sure to keep emergency carbs/sugar handy for serious bonks -- gels, energy bars, etc. I lost 10 lbs of body fat doing that in 2018 and have kept it off. (I had an incentive -- due to thyroid cancer obstructing my trachea and esophagus it was difficult to swallow solid food, so I was on a mostly liquid diet for months before surgery to remove the swollen thyroid lobe.)

Frankly, fasting exercise ain't easy. I feel hungry all the time when I'm doing it, but that doesn't mean I'm bonking. I just have to keep my pace very easy, drink plenty, and ignore the hunger pangs. Sure, I'm metabolizing fat. But I'm freaking hungry the whole time. It's a lousy plan for dieting and I'm not surprised it hardly ever works for most people. I'd do it only in preparation for competition.
Old 08-18-20, 05:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Staples
Old 08-19-20, 04:09 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Eating less will make you lose weight. Diet, as in a lifestyle, not as in a list of trendy things to eat.

Exercise will make you look better by bulking specific muscles regardless of body fat; but most creatures look good sleek.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-19-20, 07:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Ultimately, people are so different that this is one of those "what's the right shoe size" questions.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-20, 07:27 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I'm not expert on this, however I will mention this point as something to look into.
There is some Science behind the concept of sprinting repetitions are the most effective and fastest way to start burning fat. Getting your heart beating at absolute maximum heart rate for only say 10-15 seconds, resting and doing it again.
You will need to build up to it so that you don't tear a muscle and there are issues about how safe/dangerous absolute sprinting may be on a public street or if you have heart or other health issues that may preclude sprint intervals.

Look into this yourself to find some more expert advice on the matter.
Old 08-19-20, 09:29 AM
KenRick

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting topic, I can confirm personally that I don't see much difference from 50 miles a week with mild ascents

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.