Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Sort of Gearing Works Best for your Needs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Sort of Gearing Works Best for your Needs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Do you actually measure cadence using a device or no? Self reported cadence without measurement can be quite a bit off. It is like when people talk about power but don't measure it 🤷

Left to their own devices, the legs do some sort of resistance matching. If I'm riding easy my cadence will always be lower because it just feels natural. 60 rpm at 110% of FTP is a miserable experience, but 60 rpm at 60-65% of FTP feels perfectly natural.

Some people train low cadence on purpose, too. My wife's triathlon coach had her do loads of low cadence drills (it's somewhat popular in triathlon, idea is it improves the run I think). So we're on a training ride together, riding at same speed and similar power, same 11-30 cassette and I'm on 50-34 chainrings and she on a 55-42 with a 15 rpm lower cadence. It's trainable, although I don't see why you would.
​​​​​

I think I've said several times in this thread that I have never measured my cadence. It's back-calculated based on speed and gears. I measure my speed and the gearing is intentionally selected. I don't care about cadence at all, as you suggest it just sort of adjusts itself to whatever I'm doing. TBH, one of the other posters keeps bringing up my cadence, but I don't think it's terribly interesting as I just think it's the obvious consequence of my gear preferences, which was the subject of this thread.
Old 10-26-21, 05:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes, I am definitely offended by the word "inability". I don't know if you're trying to sound condescending, but that's definitely how that choice of words comes off. I can spin fine when needed (hills, headwinds and starting from a dead stop), but generally don't do it to cruise flatland because it isn't useful to me.

Like I said above, I start by spinning a relatively low gear, then rapidly shifting up. My acceleration is very good, as are my rods and bearings, which are quite intact and pain free.

I don't know why you feel a need to keep explaining to me that what I do is unusual, that's been my premise all along. Basically, this all started with me commiserating that buying new bikes with high gearing is getting extremely difficult.
Sorry wasn't trying to come across that way at all. I thought we were friends. It's just a discussion about cadence. If that causes offence, then let's move on to something else instead.
Old 10-26-21, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sorry wasn't trying to come across that way at all. I thought we were friends. It's just a discussion about cadence. If that causes offence, then let's move on to something else instead.

Yes, we are friends, which is why I explained what it was that was bothering me about how you were framing this--"inability" is definitely a loaded word. If I had thought it was intentional, I probably would have lashed back or just ignored you. But yeah, I think it's time to move on because I think the subject is pretty much exhausted.
Old 10-26-21, 06:46 AM
PeteHski

Yes, we are friends, which is why I explained what it was that was bothering me about how you were framing this--"inability" is definitely a loaded word. If I had thought it was intentional, I probably would have lashed back or just ignored you. But yeah, I think it's time to move on because I think the subject is pretty much exhausted.

Okay I see what you mean. It was a poor choice of word - but honestly wasn't meant to be loaded.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-26-21, 06:52 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
There are some useful takeaways from what has been measured and published in applied physiology literature.

One is that the optimal cadence for maximum external power (accounting for internal work) increases with workload by something around 10 rpm/100W. That fits nicely with people’s observations that their freely chosen cadence is lower at lower efforts and higher at higher efforts.

Second, in the main region of interest for most riders, maximum external power as a function of cadence is relatively flat, being near the top of a downward pointing quadratic function. If the optimal cadence for the peak is at 90 rpm, the maximum external power at 70 rpm and at 110 rpm are only down about 4%. So, for any non-paying cycling situation, riders can operate anywhere in that range (and well beyond) and still be totally effective for their needs.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-26-21, 07:50 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
^^^^^^^ Now that is helpful for this novice in not sweating my rpm range and keeping a cadence that is comfortable and sustainable for several hours.

Thanks for that post.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-26-21, 07:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
There are some useful takeaways from what has been measured and published in applied physiology literature.

One is that the optimal cadence for maximum external power (accounting for internal work) increases with workload by something around 10 rpm/100W. That fits nicely with people’s observations that their freely chosen cadence is lower at lower efforts and higher at higher efforts.

Second, in the main region of interest for most riders, maximum external power as a function of cadence is relatively flat, being near the top of a downward pointing quadratic function. If the optimal cadence for the peak is at 90 rpm, the maximum external power at 70 rpm and at 110 rpm are only down about 4%. So, for any non-paying cycling situation, riders can operate anywhere in that range (and well beyond) and still be totally effective for their needs.

Otto
Any research to back that up?

A study titled, "The Effect of Pedaling Cadence on Skeletal Muscle Oxygenation During Cycling at Moderate Exercise Intensity" suggest the differential is closer to 15%

This paper puts it closer to 7% but the conditions of testing were different as were the type of subjects

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3918546/

Let's assume it a range of 7-15% power differential from most optimal to least optimal cadence. If so, not a trivial difference.
Old 10-26-21, 08:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Any research to back that up?

A study titled, "The Effect of Pedaling Cadence on Skeletal Muscle Oxygenation During Cycling at Moderate Exercise Intensity" suggest the differential is closer to 15%

This paper puts it closer to 7% but the conditions of testing were different as were the type of subjects

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3918546/

Let's assume it a range of 7-15% power differential from most optimal to least optimal cadence. If so, not a trivial difference.

I take all of these kind of studies with a huge grain of salt. This one is of trained competitive riders, and all it may be showing is that people trained for a certain kind of riding will do best if they do things as they were trained. Muscles adapt to higher loads by getting bigger and stronger, and CV systems adapt to spinning in other ways, so I always wonder if there were a study of habitual mashers, would the power differentials, etc. look quite different.

I don't think the researchers are doing anything "wrong", per se. It's just that you can never get an apples to apples comparison between people who ride competitively using one style vs. another. BTW, let's save the "that shows mashing is inherently inferior to spinning for speed" comments because while that should generally be true, that's a bit like saying because the most effective shot in the NBA is the dunk, therefore 5'4" people should dunk.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-26-21 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-26-21, 08:40 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I don't know anything about power meters, watts, cadence, etc. I just have fun and ride the bike!
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 10-26-21, 08:43 AM
GhostRider62

I take all of these kind of studies with a huge grain of salt. This one is of trained competitive riders, and all it may be showing is that people trained for a certain kind of riding will do best if they do things as they were trained. Muscles adapt to higher loads by getting bigger and stronger, and CV systems adapt to spinning in other ways, so I always wonder if there were a study of habitual mashers, would the power differentials, etc. look quite different.

I don't think the researchers are doing anything "wrong", per se. It's just that you can never get an apples to apples comparison between people who ride competitively using one style vs. another.
I don't need a study to know that moving heavy limbs faster and faster is more efficient. The FT/ST ratio is a factor. The Italian study used fairly ordinary cyclists. I am of the opinion that self selection of cadence is more related to peak forces at the muscles and it is based upon efficiency. Cycists twiddling at 100 rpm at 100 watts look silly to my eye. Stick a Moxy onto their VL and look at oxygenation at a lower cadence, it would be really easy to do and really obvious what the result would be
Old 10-26-21, 08:59 AM
PeteHski

Cycists twiddling at 100 rpm at 100 watts look silly to my eye.
Does anyone even do that? People who ride along at 100W are usually not the sort of people comfortable with 100 rpm cadence. The guys who are pedalling at 100 rpm are usually putting out serious wattage too. It's pretty obvious that it is inefficient to ride at 100W with 100 rpm cadence. Your HR would be much higher than at say 70 rpm. Low power cadence drills show that effect every time. I can get close to HR max well under my FTP doing cadence drills.
Old 10-26-21, 09:03 AM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
It's pretty obvious that it is inefficient to ride at 100W with 100 rpm cadence.
Speaking for myself, I don't care at all about efficiency. I worry about fatigue, or more precisely delaying fatigue.
Old 10-26-21, 09:24 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Speaking for myself, I don't care at all about efficiency. I worry about fatigue, or more precisely delaying fatigue.
Riding efficiently delays fatigue.
Old 10-26-21, 09:26 AM
tomato coupe

The FT/ST ratio is a factor.
Stick a Moxy onto their VL ...
Translation please?
Old 10-26-21, 09:27 AM
asgelle

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Riding efficiently delays fatigue.
But it's not the be all and end all. There are much more effective ways to delay fatigue than improving efficiency.
Old 10-26-21, 09:30 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Translation please?
ST = Slow Twitch

FT = Fast Twitch

Moxy is device using near infrared to measure muscle oxygenation/deoxygenation.
Old 10-26-21, 09:32 AM
tomato coupe

ST = Slow Twitch

FT = Fast Twitch

Moxy is device using near infrared to measure muscle oxygenation/deoxygenation.
Thanks.
Old 10-26-21, 09:32 AM
GhostRider62

I would love to learn a few of your tips.

I ride long distance and there is not a lot of research on that topic, I have learned quite a lot by accident but very curious of any ideas you have
Old 10-26-21, 09:33 AM
GhostRider62

Does anyone even do that? People who ride along at 100W are usually not the sort of people comfortable with 100 rpm cadence. The guys who are pedalling at 100 rpm are usually putting out serious wattage too. It's pretty obvious that it is inefficient to ride at 100W with 100 rpm cadence. Your HR would be much higher than at say 70 rpm. Low power cadence drills show that effect every time. I can get close to HR max well under my FTP doing cadence drills.
I see it all the time but certainly not amongst BF riders

I found it very insightful to look at TdF rider's power files. When the pace is easy and they are sitting in, they tend to have a lower cadence say in the middle 70's but then when the race is on or at the front, the cadence and power both increase.
Old 10-26-21, 09:34 AM
tomato coupe

But it's not the be all and end all.
Nothing is.
There are much more effective ways to delay fatigue than improving efficiency.
Of course. Pedaling at 50 W would probably delay fatigue very effectively.
Old 10-26-21, 09:35 AM
asgelle

I ride long distance and there is not a lot of research on that topic, I have learned quite a lot by accident but very curious of any ideas you have
What topic? Delaying fatigue? With the exception of maximum power sprints, all training is designed to delay fatigue. There's no shortage of research-based information on that.
Old 10-26-21, 09:41 AM
GhostRider62

A practical application of these findings is that a cadence of 60 rpm may be advantageous for performance in moderately trained athletes in contrast to higher cadences currently popular among elite cyclist
https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/F...cy_and.12.aspx
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-26-21, 09:49 AM
GhostRider62

What topic? Delaying fatigue? With the exception of maximum power sprints, all training is designed to delay fatigue. There's no shortage of research-based information on that.
You said there were better ways of delaying fatigue than improving efficiency. That made no sense to me nor does your statement all training delays fatigue WRT to long rides, say over 200km. In the past I would ask about such fatigue type questions on boards where all the top Physios used to hang out and they had no clue. I thought you might have had practical advice but clearly, you do not. In my experience, cadence, minimizing time over AT, and diet are the best ways of delaying fatigue on long rides, assuming one has done at least 70% of the distance in training
Old 10-26-21, 09:58 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
livedarklions i find it so absurd how you think you possess some sort of superiority over other cyclists here by being a masher. I bet the more skilled guys here would smoke you.

You think the way you cycle is superior and most efficient simply because this is what you've stubbornly convinced yourself without ever trying anything else.
Old 10-26-21, 10:11 AM
asgelle

You said there were better ways of delaying fatigue than improving efficiency. That made no sense to me nor does your statement all training delays fatigue WRT to long rides, say over 200km.
I wrote training is designed to delay fatigue. That's different than all training results in delaying fatigue.
In my experience, cadence, minimizing time over AT, and diet are the best ways of delaying fatigue ...
Wouldn't training to raise AT reduce time above AT on subsequent rides? But if you want to delay fatigue to the greatest extent and pace can be self-selected (rather than dictated by a time limit or keeping up with a group) then the best approach would probably be to limit intensity to below the point where blood lactate begins to rise above baseline.

Last edited by asgelle; 10-26-21 at 10:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.