Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Auto pause - yes or no?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Auto pause - yes or no?

Old 12-29-21, 12:51 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Auto pause - yes or no?

Got gifted a Garmin Edge 830 for Christmas and have taken it out on a few spins since. Was horrified to watch my hard-earned average speed tick down when stopped, sometimes for quite prolonged periods (level crossings, busy roads, long delays at traffic lights). For example, after 30 minutes of steady cycling my average was 31.x kmh when I had to stop to cross a road and by the time I set off again I was at 26.x kmh. I didn’t watch my average power, but presume it does similar?

I think strava, where I upload to, takes this into account, but have also found, and turned on, auto pause on the device for when I’m stopped.

But what do most others do? I’d like to compare like-with-like so if, in general, people don’t use auto pause then I’ll probably turn it off.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-21, 02:22 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Auto pause on.

Although on or off, Strava is will always take out your stoppage time when calculating the displayed average speed and average power.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-29-21, 07:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Auto pause on. I can't see how recording with it off would provide any useful info.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-29-21, 08:01 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
For road rides I use Autopause in the profile. For mountain biking profile I use use manual. On the mountain bike autopause was annoying. It paused too much on slow technical sections.

oh for indoor trainer I have that profile set for autostart. I would forget to start too often.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 12-29-21, 08:02 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Auto pause on. I can't see how recording with it off would provide any useful info.
Auto pause off. The rest you get while stopped let's you ride faster when moving. I don't see how the data with auto pause on is in any way useful (average cadence being the exception). I can average 50% higher average speed or power than usual with auto pause on if I choose.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-29-21, 08:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Math doesn't suit everyone....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-29-21, 09:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
auto pause on for me, but maybe the question is for what speed do you want it to pause at -- which you can set as well.
OTOH, I like the "Elevate" Strava plugin and will usually browse the 75% quartile results for speed and power which may work for you as a proxy that would likely be ignoring any stops.
Old 12-29-21, 09:59 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Auto pause on for me.
Old 12-29-21, 10:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Autopause on. When you upload, the site with show your elapsed, so you'll have that too. Autopause on tells you about your riding. Elapsed tells you about your rest stop efficiency - if you care about that.
Old 12-29-21, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Auto pause off. The rest you get while stopped let's you ride faster when moving. I don't see how the data with auto pause on is in any way useful (average cadence being the exception). I can average 50% higher average speed or power than usual with auto pause on if I choose.
I accidentally had auto pause off for ragbrai once. That was hilariously useless. My average speed was something like 7mph due to all the stops thru the day.

I care about my on the bike time. If I am not on the bike, why would I count that time as part of my ride?
A ride to get some food would result in an average speed that is half of what the riding actually was.

Your comment that off the bike rest makes you stronger after the break may be correct, but there is obviously a point at which it is not at all accurate. If I wait 2 hours, I won't ride faster than if I waited 20min. Meanwhile, that 2 hours of running clock is affecting the avg speed.

Good luck with that though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-29-21, 11:21 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Auto pause 'off'. The main screen has time, speed, and power. I don't look at averages until the data is in RWGPS or Strava and can post process the data.
With the clock running I feel I'm more conscientious about breaks and don't dilly-dally about. Exchange fluids, grab snacks, and back on the bike. With stops, I like to maintain around 4hours for a 100km as long as it's not terribly hilly. Usually this comes to ~20mins for a couple stops and ~3h40m of bike time.
Old 12-29-21, 11:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle

Is this a post from a fake asgelle?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-29-21, 11:46 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
For road rides I use Autopause in the profile. For mountain biking profile I use use manual. On the mountain bike autopause was annoying. It paused too much on slow technical sections.

oh for indoor trainer I have that profile set for autostart. I would forget to start too often.
Had the same problem with my lezyne GPS on the mtn bikes. I just bought two super cheap $12 speed sensors off amazon for the mtn bikes and that has fixed the problem. I'm too lazy to deal with turning autopause on and off depending on which bike I'm riding.
Likes For Canker:
Old 12-29-21, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Is this a post from a fake asgelle?
I am still scratching my head over his comment.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-29-21, 12:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Auto pause on, with the threshold set to 10 mph. That's how everyone on Internet forums get really high average speeds.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-29-21, 12:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I accidentally had auto pause off for ragbrai once. That was hilariously useless. My average speed was something like 7mph due to all the stops thru the day.

I care about my on the bike time. If I am not on the bike, why would I count that time as part of my ride?
A ride to get some food would result in an average speed that is half of what the riding actually was.

Your comment that off the bike rest makes you stronger after the break may be correct, but there is obviously a point at which it is not at all accurate. If I wait 2 hours, I won't ride faster than if I waited 20min. Meanwhile, that 2 hours of running clock is affecting the avg speed.

Good luck with that though.
​​​​​​If you wait two hours, it's a new ride when you get back on the bike per the beer and burrito rule.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-29-21, 01:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Personally I have auto pause on and set not to record anything under 20 mph. I don't know how you people manage such pathetically slow speeds. 17 mph over a century? That's a track stand! I spent my day averaging 24.6 mph yesterday, and I rode 0.7 miles!
Old 12-29-21, 04:43 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
If you never stop riding, it just doesn't matter.

Debate over.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-29-21, 04:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Auto pause on, with the threshold set to 10 mph. That's how everyone on Internet forums get really high average speeds.
These sorts of comments are interesting. When I got my first 800, supposedly new from a foreign seller, it came with Autopause set to 2 mph. I changed that to Stopped, but I turn my timer off if I have to walk through a street fair or the like.

If i want to know my elapsed, I look at my wristwatch. I do care about that sometimes since I used to rando. Now when I do an event ride, I finish earlier than I should for my ability. When I do a group ride with friends, I certainly don't time the social stop(s)
Old 12-29-21, 04:56 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
yep, I use Auto Pause,

Old 12-29-21, 05:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
But what do most others do?
Most people are going to look at Strava and Strava is going to parse the info the same way, regardless of whether or not you use the auto-pause - the ride summary (time, distance, average speed, etc) is going to be based off of Strava's threshold for moving but they'll also indicate elapsed time (you may need to expand the ride info if you're on the mobile app).

Really though, if you're just shootng the breeze with other cyclists or trying to figure out which group ride to join, it's anybody's guess until you roll out together.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-29-21, 05:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I have mine set to pause when stopped. I don't care about what happens when I stop for traffic or other things. But when I stop for coffee, nature calls, photo ops or rests, I know I won't remember to pause it or restart it on my own.

Old 12-29-21, 06:08 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Off for me. I'm interested in total elapsed time, so average speed including stops is meaningful.

It's informative to see, on long rides where food stops are necessary, how slow people can end up ahead of fast people. It takes a lot of work to get a minute ahead of someone on the road, but it's super easy to blow a minute at a stop. In Randonneuring, clock time is all that matters.

"Randonneuring, the only sport where lack of athletic ability can be made up for with lack of sleep" - Ron Selby
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-29-21, 06:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have mine set to pause when stopped. I don't care about what happens when I stop for traffic or other things. But when I stop for coffee, nature calls, photo ops or rests, I know I won't remember to pause it or restart it on my own.
​​​​​​Wait, do other people actually stop for this? #triathlon
Old 12-29-21, 06:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Off for me. I'm interested in total elapsed time, so average speed including stops is meaningful.

It's informative to see, on long rides where food stops are necessary, how slow people can end up ahead of fast people. It takes a lot of work to get a minute ahead of someone on the road, but it's super easy to blow a minute at a stop. In Randonneuring, clock time is all that matters.
To WhyFi's point though, use an app like Garmin or Strava, and you have total elapsed time, total moving time, and actually total time while pedaling if you want it. Garmin app provides moving pace vs. overall pace, etc. Setting auto-pause isn't really hiding anything from anybody, just making it easier for any individual to look at what they deem as relevant.
Likes For Sy Reene:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.