Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New from Black Mountain Cycles

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 08:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts

For 2023, sadly. https://blackmtncycles.com/mod-zero/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-20-22, 08:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Its a really nice looking frame overall and combining the two models makes sense. They always seemed largely redundant and Mike's comments confirm that.
The changes address a few things I wanted on my most recent gravel build and they are in part why I removed the MCD from consideration.
...but those now added gussets are not great looking.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-20-22, 11:24 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Probably gonna be like $1200 for the frameset
Old 01-20-22, 11:57 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I like post mount disc brakes. I like the olive oil color, but that yellow......?
Old 01-20-22, 12:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Ive seen most small production quality steel framesets with a carbon fork in the $1420-1750 range now, so if these are $1200 it wouldnt be too wild. AC Cosmic Stallion at $1300 is suddenly a steal.
Old 01-20-22, 01:07 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
I wonder if the geo's going to lean towards the long ETT + Short Stem trend or keep with the MCD & Road+'s shorter TT + normal sized stem.
Old 01-20-22, 03:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Be interesting to see. IIRC he went new geometry with La Cabra. My bet would be closer to traditional road for differentiation. Regardless, if he can keep the price significantly below the Ritchey Outback, he'll sell out quickly.
Old 01-20-22, 05:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
IMO, it was a good call to combine the MCD and the Road+ into a single model. While I'm not a fan of the head tube visually, I would definitely consider one of these frames for a disc gravel build. That said, my canti-equipped Monster Cross continues to deliver everything I ask of it, so I'm not looking to "upgrade" anytime soon. Given the new minimum production numbers he's facing, I'm grateful that Mike is able to continue with the Black Mountain brand. They're really nice bikes, and he's a great guy to deal with.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-20-22, 07:20 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Cool bike. Easy to see why he’d combine the Road+/MCD, and the oversized headtube and dyno & dropper cable routing make sense considering the market.

I follow his blog and FB and new he was cooking up something…had kinda hoped his next design might do something with sliding dropouts, but obviously that’s still kind of a niche item.
Old 01-22-22, 03:25 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I'll likely buy one.

My Monstercross has been a real surprise and I usually grab it or my Fairlight for my day trips.

FWIW My Faran has similar unfortunate gussets, but the the bike/frameset on balance is top shelf.
Old 01-22-22, 05:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I'd like to eventually buy a BMC if only because the guy who designs and sells them, Mike Varney, does a really cool radio program every other Wednesday night. Sometimes I stream it, even though I am about 3,000 miles from the radio station.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-22-22, 10:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ive seen most small production quality steel framesets with a carbon fork in the $1420-1750 range now, so if these are $1200 it wouldnt be too wild. AC Cosmic Stallion at $1300 is suddenly a steal.
After considering them and seeing their prices, I wouldn't trust AC prices, they want more for a mass produced Taiwan Ti frame then I can buy from Lynsky or a number of other US builders. Milwaukee even sells US made and to me their pricing is the top end of what I would consider reasonable for a frameset that isn't a one-off custom. Plenty of decent Taiwan framesets that are less.
Personally I like the idea of the frameset, just not certain I can wait till next year to replace mine with one that's a better fit.
Old 01-23-22, 01:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
After considering them and seeing their prices, I wouldn't trust AC prices, they want more for a mass produced Taiwan Ti frame then I can buy from Lynsky or a number of other US builders. Milwaukee even sells US made and to me their pricing is the top end of what I would consider reasonable for a frameset that isn't a one-off custom. Plenty of decent Taiwan framesets that are less.
Personally I like the idea of the frameset, just not certain I can wait till next year to replace mine with one that's a better fit.
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion

I don't understand what you mean about not trusting AllCity's prices. Are you saying the $1300 price they list on their website is fake?

The $3200 for their TI model is high compared to some Chinese TI brands, yes. Still not sure what there is to not trust. The price is just listed on their site.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-23-22, 06:52 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion

I don't understand what you mean about not trusting AllCity's prices. Are you saying the $1300 price they list on their website is fake?

The $3200 for their TI model is high compared to some Chinese TI brands, yes. Still not sure what there is to not trust. The price is just listed on their site.
Poor term, I wouldn't consider them a pricing standard. Their frame prices are on par or more expensive than with a number of US made frames.
Old 01-23-22, 10:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Poor term, I wouldn't consider them a pricing standard. Their frame prices are on par or more expensive than with a number of US made frames.
Gotcha. I agree- AC is not a price leader and doesn't position itself as one.
With that said, their heat treated quality steel frame with carbon fork(Columbus or Wiskey depending on year) is listed for $1300 which actually is a pretty good deal compared to similar level offerings from smaller production or boutique brands Ritchey, Niner, Norco, Fairlight, Mason, etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-23-22, 07:59 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'd like to eventually buy a BMC if only because the guy who designs and sells them, Mike Varney, does a really cool radio program every other Wednesday night. Sometimes I stream it, even though I am about 3,000 miles from the radio station.
Cool, I had no idea. My brother bought a BMC a while back and Mike seemed pretty great with the whole process (the bike is great too). Seems like a cool dude.
Old 02-08-22, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah - read this. But, as mstateglfr mentioned, this makes sense. My BMC road (rim brake) rides super nice with a Whisky fork. Weirdly though, I had to warranty the fork as it was beginning to delaminate from inside. I would shake it and there would be a bunch of loose material sloshing around. Whisky warrantied it without question. I was using the Road + No. 7 fork. Hopefully the replacement doesn't do the same thing. I did ride some heavy gravel descents for a while. The bike did take a beating... but still the fork should not give out like that.

Back to BMC - great frames, smooth riding.