Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Disc brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 06:08 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Disc brake pads

I'm running TRP Spyre calipers on my Warbird, and had some questions about disc brake maintenance. Do the pads need to be sanded down like rim brake pads? I got some brake fade today and have never done any sort of maintenance on them except for adjusting the cable a bit. Do the rotors need cleaning too?

Dave
Old 03-10-22, 07:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
don't know myself but found some info on google searching "bicycle disk brake fade"
Old 03-10-22, 09:00 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Brake fade could be from contaminated rotor or pads, glazed pads, pads near worn out, grit embedded in the pads, damaged cable or housing, getting them really, really hot, etc. Sanding the pads and cleaning the rotor with alcohol or brake cleaning fluid can help with the glazed or contaminated pads. If you have a lot of miles on it, like 2K+ your pads may just be worn to the point where they need to be replaced. Several cable adjustments may be a good indication that the pads are worn to the point that they need to be replaced.
Old 03-10-22, 09:15 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Brake fade could be from contaminated rotor or pads, glazed pads, pads near worn out, grit embedded in the pads, damaged cable or housing, getting them really, really hot, etc. Sanding the pads and cleaning the rotor with alcohol or brake cleaning fluid can help with the glazed or contaminated pads. If you have a lot of miles on it, like 2K+ your pads may just be worn to the point where they need to be replaced. Several cable adjustments may be a good indication that the pads are worn to the point that they need to be replaced.
Sounds like I might need to replace the pads, got almost 1,800 miles on this bike. Will probably clean and measure first, but it sounds like it's time.

Dave
Old 03-11-22, 09:23 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 870 Posts
I've never heard of any sort of maintenance being done to disc brake pads, other than the need to do some initial bedding when they're new (which is basically just doing a few hard stops on them).

Otherwise, just run 'em till their worn, then replace.
Old 03-11-22, 01:47 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I pull pads about 2x a year to check their wear (and clean if needed). The pads should last you a long time - I am on my second set of pads @ 8K on the gravel bike.
Old 03-11-22, 02:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,030 Posts
Yeah, I’ve never heard of sanding disc pads as a maintenance routine, but then, I’ve never heard of sanding rim brake pads as a matter of routine either, so maybe I’ve been riding with the wrong crowd the past three decades…
Old 03-11-22, 03:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Sounds like I might need to replace the pads, got almost 1,800 miles on this bike. Will probably clean and measure first, but it sounds like it's time.

Dave
Have a look at them, first. Usually you can just eyeball them, though you may get a better view if you (or someone else) can squeeze the brake lever while examining them. If you do have to remove the pads to get a good look, it's an easy task. It's not rocket science: you'll know if there's enough pad remaining; if there is enough, then it's one (or more) of the things dwmckee mentioned.

FWIW, I replaced the front pads on my main gravel bike (which has seen a lot of long, steep, and dirty descents) at about 7k miles. On my other disc brake bike, I have not replaced any pads yet in almost 12k miles.
Old 03-11-22, 05:23 PM
bonsai171

Took my front brake pads out today, and they were super dirty. The inside of the caliper is very dirty too, so I'm planning to clean both. I read somewhere the pads should measure 3mm thick including the metal. One pad is definitely good, but one pad is low, but only on one side (it was 2.9mm). Since the wear is uneven, the caliper is slightly out of alignment. If I fix the caliper and clean everything, can I reinstall the same pads?

Dave
Old 03-11-22, 08:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

If pads are that low I would just replace them. $20 and you do not have to worry again for 2K miles (YMMV of course). Some folks do get better mileage out of pads, especially if they do not ride a lot of hills or dusty/muddy areas. I have also seen folks get 500 miles on a set of pads. I'd stick with what the original pads are in there if you were happy with the braking. Clean the rotors when you replace the pads with brake cleaner or alcohol.

If you have done 2 - 3 cable adjustments as you indicate, then the pads are likely toast.

Braking force is diminished as the pads wear down (less heat dissipation ability) and if you wear down to metal-on-metal you are going to be replacing much more expensive rotors. Change 'em and forget about it. I would not worry about getting the last $3 out of your old set of pads. Life is too short; change the pads and ride without worries.
Old 03-11-22, 08:58 PM
bonsai171

If pads are that low I would just replace them. $20 and you do not have to worry again for 2K miles (YMMV of course). Some folks do get better mileage out of pads, especially if they do not ride a lot of hills or dusty/muddy areas. I have also seen folks get 500 miles on a set of pads. I'd stick with what the original pads are in there if you were happy with the braking. Clean the rotors when you replace the pads with brake cleaner or alcohol.

If you have done 2 - 3 cable adjustments as you indicate, then the pads are likely toast.

Braking force is diminished as the pads wear down (less heat dissipation ability) and if you wear down to metal-on-metal you are going to be replacing much more expensive rotors. Change 'em and forget about it. I would not worry about getting the last $3 out of your old set of pads. Life is too short; change the pads and ride without worries.
I ride a lot of gravel and some singletrack with this bike. Lately it has seen a fair amount of mud and water, so that probably doesn't help.

Do I need to take the rotors off the wheel to clean them? Bought some isopropyl alcohol and gloves to clean that up. Is a cue tip enough to clean the rotors? I've seen people go so far as to light their rotors and pads on fire to decontaminate them:

Dave
Old 03-13-22, 02:09 PM
dwmckee

Huh? No need to light them up. Just a very clean cloth and several wipings with alcohol or brake cleaner. Do not touch the rotors or pads with your hands as even that can cause some contamination. There is a lot of bad advice mixed in with the good out there. The guy in the video cautions about touching brake parts with his hands also, then repeatedly touches the pads and rotor surface with his hands. No need to remove the rotor. We occasionally sand the pads or rotors when they are shiny and glazed. To sand them we put a SINGLE SHEET of about 150 grit sandpaper on a clean flat surface and rub the pads in a circle until the shininess is gone. That can improve braking and remove some contamination.

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-13-22 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-13-22, 05:53 PM
bonsai171

Huh? No need to light them up. Just a very clean cloth and several wipings with alcohol or brake cleaner. Do not touch the rotors or pads with your hands as even that can cause some contamination. There is a lot of bad advice mixed in with the good out there. The guy in the video cautions about touching brake parts with his hands also, then repeatedly touches the pads and rotor surface with his hands. No need to remove the rotor. We occasionally sand the pads or rotors when they are shiny and glazed. To sand them we put a SINGLE SHEET of about 150 grit sandpaper on a clean flat surface and rub the pads in a circle until the shininess is gone. That can improve braking and remove some contamination.
I saw the same thing in the video. Bought some Shimano B01S pads yesterday, and took my time cleaning, adjusting, and putting everything back together. The Shimano pads seem a lot nicer than the TRPs. The TRPs have a strong initial bite, but that's about it. The Shimano pads have more modulation, but are a little noisier. They don't squeal, just a little abrasive noise when they contact the rotor. Maybe it will go away with some use, but not bad at all. So far I've only taken it around the block, so maybe they'll quiet down with a little more mileage.

Dave
Old 03-13-22, 05:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
You don't need to take rotors off the wheel to clean them, and you absolutely don't need a flame-thrower for the pads. Normally you don't need to do anything for the pads, but a light sanding will often renew the surface to a pristine state if there has been some form of contamination.

Burning alcohol isn't going to be doing anything anyway. It doesn't get very hot.
Old 03-15-22, 02:51 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
oddly, cleaning the pads can make them worse. I had an LBS clean my pads - did a great job, but they just didn't stop the bike anymore.

AFAIK, this was a problem because it was done in the fall. For the next 4 months it was at or near freezing. It wasn't until spring came and I could heat them up enough to brake them in properly.

Moral of the story - that glazing on the pads/rotors is important. Sanding takes it off. Not a problem in warm weather once you seat them properly - but I was struggling all winter.
Old 03-16-22, 11:38 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
A couple of points - I have TRP Spyres too. My pads are worn, unevenly, and I'm getting ready to replace them - just less than 3300 on the bike. Reportedly, the OEM pads in Spyres are a. fast-wearing b. kind of suck. I got a replacement set from Amazon by Corki. Haven't tried them yet but reviews are good and for $12 whatever, I'll try them out.
The Spyres are supposed to be self-adjusting and the caliper action is also dual-sided, so it shouldn't be a problem for you if one pad is worn slightly more than the other.

All of the maintenance I've done on my disc brakes was to clean with mineral spirits and occasionally lube pivot points.
Old 03-16-22, 05:44 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by autonomy
A couple of points - I have TRP Spyres too. My pads are worn, unevenly, and I'm getting ready to replace them - just less than 3300 on the bike. Reportedly, the OEM pads in Spyres are a. fast-wearing b. kind of suck. I got a replacement set from Amazon by Corki. Haven't tried them yet but reviews are good and for $12 whatever, I'll try them out.
The Spyres are supposed to be self-adjusting and the caliper action is also dual-sided, so it shouldn't be a problem for you if one pad is worn slightly more than the other.

All of the maintenance I've done on my disc brakes was to clean with mineral spirits and occasionally lube pivot points.
Mineral Spirits are derived from petroleum and can leave an oily residue. I would use brake cleaner or alcohol as recommended by brake manufacturers.

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-16-22 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-17-22, 07:44 PM
FuelExnTCX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clean the rotors with alcohol and if there is glazing on the pads use some ligt sand paper to sand them down.
Old 03-21-22, 04:50 PM
mauricesnail 

Bikes: bridgestone mb-1, rb-t, and xo-2

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
it's been a minute but I remember the stock pads on spyres to be pretty low performing out of the box, I debated sanding the pads but a few months in I replaced them with aftermarket ones and didn't have to think about my brakes for a year or two
Old 03-24-22, 05:14 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Yep replace TRP pads with shimano B01S and be happy. No noise, low cost and good performance
Old 03-24-22, 08:10 PM
dwmckee

Also, the TRP Hy/Rd and Spyre calipers work WAY better if you use compressionless housing (as they recommend).
Old 03-25-22, 02:30 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 175 Posts
I wouldn't put alcohol on the pads set them on fire... it is likely to affect the sintering and could lead the braking material cracking and delamination from the back plate.

it s better to brush with alcohol and a tooth bush to remove loose residus, rinse with water and then, dry it with air dryer or may be re-rince with alcohol and dry with air dryer for speed...