Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 front mech issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-22, 09:23 AM
Tri2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I have a 2016 shimano 105 11 speed road bike. I have recently been riding a few hills and using the little ring upfront, its always been a little glitchy with changing but recently whatever adjustment I try the chain sits in the middle on the large and small ring when changing? Front mech is aligned, I cant seem to over come this issue. The only way I can get the chain to engage is move the rear gears up and down and the front then slips on the small ring. front mech H and L screws have been adjusted. This is worse now since my quick link failed and my chain came off a few weeks ago. Any ideas ?
Ta

Mark
Old 05-21-22, 10:09 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Tri2022
the chain sits in the middle on the large and small ring when changing
Sits in the middle of what? Anyway, check the usual stuff: chain stretch, tooth wear, derailleur height, cable friction.
Old 05-21-22, 02:36 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hello! I have a 2016 shimano 105 11 speed road bike. I have recently been riding a few hills and using the little ring upfront, its always been a little glitchy with changing but recently whatever adjustment I try the chain sits in the middle on the large and small ring when changing? Front mech is aligned, I cant seem to over come this issue. The only way I can get the chain to engage is move the rear gears up and down and the front then slips on the small ring. front mech H and L screws have been adjusted. This is worse now since my quick link failed and my chain came off a few weeks ago. Any ideas ?
Ta

Mark
You say the derailleur is aligned and limits set...has this been done correctly by someone experineced in this type of thing? I only ask this because I have to un-**** bikes that customers have 'fixed' constantly.
Old 05-21-22, 03:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
A 2016 bike. What bike are you asking about? Does it have internal derailleur cable routing? New members often omit important information which results in random guesses. My guess is excess cable friction from the internally routed cables which I don't know that you have
Old 05-22-22, 05:54 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
The obvious things to check is whether the derailleur is properly positioned vertically (cage should just clear the big ring teeth), whether the cage is bent, whether the cage is correctly aligned (typically outer cage should be parallel to big ring), whether the chainring teeth are worn, whether the chain has lengthened too much (more that 1/16" in 12" original length), does the chain have a stiff link or is it bent, whether the lower limit screw is properly set (inner cage should just barely avoid rubbing when on the biggest cassette cog and small ring), whether the derailleur pivots are clean and lubed, and whether there is too much friction in the cable such that the cage doesn't move easily into position.