Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How to.. Lose leg muscle mass?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How to.. Lose leg muscle mass?

Old 01-18-22, 04:59 AM
Alibec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure that you need to lose that muscle mass? Honestly, I don't think that reducing muscle mass is the best solution in this case. I mean, you can just lose all the fat that you still have, and that would bring a much better result. Besides all that, losing muscle mass won't be that easy. I think you have to eat less and ride more.
Old 01-18-22, 09:48 AM
Gym123456

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Edit : this wasn't in the context of getting better at cycling. It was to do with being lighter overall for rock climbing, calisthenics, trail running etc.

Original post : So I've got an unusual problem... I'd like to get lighter. Well, that part is normal. For climbing, saddle pressure, hand pressure, etc being leaner and lighter generally helps.

I'm muscular upper and lower body. 26 y/o, 72kg, 12-13% BF at 171cm. And I have some thicc hams for legs (aka Quadzilla..) . And yes, I'm working on shedding fat and still getting leaner

My question is, what kind of training would you encourage, that would promote leg endurance for long audax style rides without encouraging muscle growth? Long, steady state aerobic riding?

I don't want my legs getting any bigger 😂
As mentioned, don't train for strength, train for endurance. Big weights=big muscles, subject to the person's physiology.
Old 01-18-22, 09:50 AM
Gym123456

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
No one has suggested flesh-eating bacteria?
I found that the inactivity caused by dislocating my left kneecap has done wonders for making my leg smaller.

I don't recommend that.
Old 01-18-22, 10:51 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I agree with a lot of other people in this thread that attempting to lose muscle mass is not a good idea. However—especially since you like distance riding—here's something that did cause me to lose muscle mass: I rode the Southern Tier and didn't eat nearly enough for weeks on end. After a certain point, the human body resorts to autophagy. My body was wasted at the end—arms, legs, torso. I had trouble lifting my bike over my head at the end for the ceremonial ocean photo.

I didn't weigh in at the start or finish, but I would guesstimate that my weight went from 160-165 lb at the start to 135 lb at the end. I don't recommend this.
Old 01-18-22, 03:26 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Gym123456
As mentioned, don't train for strength, train for endurance. Big weights=big muscles, subject to the person's physiology.
This isn't really true. Big weights + Big eating = big muscles is more accurate. Training for strength is generally considered a good idea for endurance athletes. You'll build plenty of endurance riding your bike.
Old 09-23-22, 10:44 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
My advice? Very simple - embrace the body and abilities you were given. Find the sports and events that highlight those gifts. I was gifted the body you seem to want, 6' 1/2" and 145 pounds in racing trim. I could climb forever. Not fast enough to crest the smaller hills with the hot shots but after a thousand feet or so I'd be free of them. Now I could have set my heart on being a rouleur or sprinter and spent my racing days having zero fun and very few successes. Or as a rock climber where I have the long reach but am also clumsy and would be by now dead.

So I raced as a pure climber and accepted that flat races were training, race experience and sometimes fun but I wasn't going to place. I'll be 70 next year and just came back from riding Cycle Oregon for a week of climbing every day, doing it on a fix gear so the competition was strictly between me and the hills. I won. Only one hill did I not conquer. Hard, hard, hard. But I was in my element doing what I love and what my body was made to do very well.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-30-22, 10:07 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My advice? Very simple - embrace the body and abilities you were given. Find the sports and events that highlight those gifts. I was gifted the body you seem to want, 6' 1/2" and 145 pounds in racing trim. I could climb forever. Not fast enough to crest the smaller hills with the hot shots but after a thousand feet or so I'd be free of them. Now I could have set my heart on being a rouleur or sprinter and spent my racing days having zero fun and very few successes. Or as a rock climber where I have the long reach but am also clumsy and would be by now dead.

So I raced as a pure climber and accepted that flat races were training, race experience and sometimes fun but I wasn't going to place. I'll be 70 next year and just came back from riding Cycle Oregon for a week of climbing every day, doing it on a fix gear so the competition was strictly between me and the hills. I won. Only one hill did I not conquer. Hard, hard, hard. But I was in my element doing what I love and what my body was made to do very well.
I went the other way - i'm 5'8 and 195 in racing trim (not now - now im in a struggle to drop about 40 pounds but thats another story ) -- For a few years i tried my best to hang with the pack in local road races. And since i entered literally EVERYTHING , it didnt take me long to point up to cat 2 -- but unless it was a criterium or circuit race, -- i wasnt going to stay with the lead pack and i'd generally get dropped hard enough to have to finish with the Cat 4's (this was before there was a USCF Cat 5 category ) - a few years later, i took a beginners track course at a velodrome and breathed a sigh of relief and thought "I'm home "
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-30-22, 10:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I went the other way - i'm 5'8 and 195 in racing trim (not now - now im in a struggle to drop about 40 pounds but thats another story ) -- For a few years i tried my best to hang with the pack in local road races. And since i entered literally EVERYTHING , it didnt take me long to point up to cat 2 -- but unless it was a criterium or circuit race, -- i wasnt going to stay with the lead pack and i'd generally get dropped hard enough to have to finish with the Cat 4's (this was before there was a USCF Cat 5 category ) - a few years later, i took a beginners track course at a velodrome and breathed a sigh of relief and thought "I'm home "
I love that on a bike, there is a place for so many of us. And in races, the chess game. How do I beat that guy over there with his very different abilities? My final State Champs, after my accident - flat course. Winning break went with 50 miles to go. No way could I do anything to stop that. Two miles from the finish there was a small rise. I could go there last lap or wait to the town line sign with about 3/4 mi to go but no later. Another guy took off at the hill. Rats. Plan B. Pulled a stealth, going on the glass strewn parking lane and wasn't noticed until I was passing the lead rider at speed. Worked. I got all but the guy who went on the hill and beat a number of riders I'd never beaten in a sprint.

There's a woman here in Portland I consider a sis because I've watched her come back from crash injuries with the passion I had coming back from mine. But on a bike? She's the booster you want for a two person standing start kilo. I stay in the stands with my jaw on the concrete.
Likes For 79pmooney: