Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who are the Top 5 Italian craftsmen of all time?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who are the Top 5 Italian craftsmen of all time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 10:35 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Yes all included in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...rial_designers but I would choose others mentioned above for C&V bike frames
I certainly understand the bias on the forum. But how do I measure a PR without my Alessi watch? Post to the forum without my Karetll chain and Artimide light? Type on my computer without Olivetti? Can't have one without the other.
Old 06-26-22, 10:38 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Not a big Colnago fan (they were never as good as they used to be), but I'll agree with the others and add Giuseppe Pela (Tommasini's mentor) and Faliero Masi.

SP
OC, OR
Giuseppe Pela and Tommasini are the first names that popped into my mind. Masi is also a good addition that others have not mentioned. De Rosa of course. And Losa. I thought the mention of Basso Brothers was interesting. To have built so many frames that bore other builders names certainly speaks to their respect in the industry. Losa falls into that same discussion having built so many frames for others. To me, Losa and Pela are in a league by themselves. They are like the founding fathers of frame building, artisans of their craft.
Likes For cpsqlrwn:
Old 06-26-22, 11:24 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
All of the above plus Aldo Gios, still building incredible frames with his son near Turin…
Old 06-26-22, 11:42 AM
iab

Also, can't believe 3 pages and no mention of Pinella de Grandi.
Old 06-26-22, 12:07 PM
Miloburnz

Bikes: BH Turbo single speed,Tommasini Super Prestige,Torrot Tourist ,Vanni,Detto,Colnago Super.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Are we talking craftsmen who built the best designed frames or the best looking frames?
Colnago came to fame building well designed frames but if you put a Tommasini and Colnago side by side the Tommasini will win the aesthetic design contest but i have no knowledge of how they would have compared in pro cycling back when they were new. The Italian frames were quite flash back in the day with all the chrome detailing and even the lesser known ones like the Vanni i have made with SL ,chromed brackets and gear cables hidden in the frame must've been quite a job to build it compared to other more simpler designed frames.
Old 06-26-22, 12:22 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Gepetto

He built Pinocchio
Yeah but he lied about it.
Old 06-26-22, 12:55 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If you want to hear some deflating information on noted Italian builders, read what Tom Ritchie found when he was starting out in the '70s. He was cutting up Italian frames to see how things were done by "the best". Some of what he saw was sobering. (And basically proof that lugged and brazed construction is close to fool proof; a point that Raleigh put an exclamation point on in the bike boom. I have a Competition that apparently missed the final lug brazing and was still whole and riding fine 45 years later.)

That said, I still have a soft spot for a red early '70s Masi I spent about a 1000 miles riding with my summer of serious racing.
Along the same lines, I picked up a 1986 De Rosa10 or 12 years ago, a real beauty. As I did back then, I took it to my go-to shop for C&V work (since sold to Trek) to have the then-owner (Steve Howard, an old riding buddy) check the alignment, chase the threads, that sort of stuff. When I picked it up he said it was "pretty straight -- for an Italian Frame." He said it with a smile, but he wasn't kidding.
Old 06-26-22, 01:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Along the same lines, I picked up a 1986 De Rosa10 or 12 years ago, a real beauty. As I did back then, I took it to my go-to shop for C&V work (since sold to Trek) to have the then-owner (Steve Howard, an old riding buddy) check the alignment, chase the threads, that sort of stuff. When I picked it up he said it was "pretty straight -- for an Italian Frame." He said it with a smile, but he wasn't kidding.
In the later 80's there was a bike shop on Union Street in SF that had a frame alignment table adjacent to the work area on the showroom floor, the boast was that all frames sold were aligned. Of course the second thought was, "they need alignment?"
Old 06-26-22, 01:43 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
Also, can't believe 3 pages and no mention of Pinella de Grandi.
the lack of USA market awareness.

plenty unrecognized.
Old 06-26-22, 01:52 PM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
the lack of USA market awareness.

plenty unrecognized.
idk, whole book about him. Lotsa folks own it. Too old-timey, maybe?
Old 06-27-22, 07:25 AM
redo1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Always difficult to figure out who made and did not make frames. Pinella was the chief mechanic at Bianchi, but did not make any bike frames. He probably handled and built-up frames made by Valsassina, Carlo Drali, Gilardi, and guess some more.
Same with Masi, Colnago, Gios, Pinarello, Paletti and others. Not really into building frames themselves, but very important nevertheless in the history of italian bikes.

Last edited by redo1; 06-27-22 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For redo1:
Old 06-27-22, 09:44 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Spoiler bottom bracket? Fully sloping fork crown? Fastback seat lug? Classic bars and stems? The Laser? Not to mention all the other innovations that were ahead of their time (clipless pedals?). Cinelli has to be at or very near the top.
Old 06-27-22, 09:53 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
idk, whole book about him. Lotsa folks own it. Too old-timey, maybe?
They must have greyer hair than me.
First I have been made aware of him, and I have been a student of vintage lightweights for over 23 years.
Cannot be aware of it all.

You are not doing your marketing, but I know, the good at marketing designers, don't design, they are salesmen and well off.
Old 06-27-22, 09:59 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Ravi1990

Pelà s bb shell cut out motif

on a Masi ;-)
what is the date on the fork steerer?
Interesting mix of bottom bracket ports and the fluted seat stay caps.
Those transfers would not be used long, from a silk screener's perspective, way way too many colors and tight registration.
Old 06-27-22, 11:27 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Miloburnz
Are we talking craftsmen who built the best designed frames or the best looking frames?
Colnago came to fame building well designed frames but if you put a Tommasini and Colnago side by side the Tommasini will win the aesthetic design contest but i have no knowledge of how they would have compared in pro cycling back when they were new. The Italian frames were quite flash back in the day with all the chrome detailing and even the lesser known ones like the Vanni i have made with SL ,chromed brackets and gear cables hidden in the frame must've been quite a job to build it compared to other more simpler designed frames.
And I think it will vary from person to person and for what you want to do with it. I had a Tommasini Sintesi but dreamed of a Colnago Master. Finally got the chance and jumped on it and almost put my Sintesi out to pasture. I loved the look of the Colnago and still consider it to be one of the most beautiful bikes ever made. Just wonderful. But I did not like the ride. It felt harsh and flexy at the same time. It just felt all wrong. My old Sintesi was just better feeling to me. I still have that bike- have not ridden it in a while but it still gives me a smile when I do ride it!
Old 06-27-22, 07:35 PM
iab

Originally Posted by redo1
Always difficult to figure out who made and did not make frames. Pinella was the chief mechanic at Bianchi, but did not make any bike frames. He probably handled and built-up frames made by Valsassina, Carlo Drali, Gilardi, and guess some more.
Well that's interesting. Maybe my translation sucks, or the article may have gotten it a little wrong, but his indicates he did build. - https://bicicloide.blogspot.com/2012...Ho-wG2IACvJFL8

Why do you think the article is incorrect? Also do you think he never built? Exclusively a mechanic at Frejus and Bartali's bikes for the Tour?
Likes For iab:
Old 06-28-22, 01:02 AM
redo1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The article does not state that Pinella made frames, except for one bit where it is not very clear, where it reads that Valsassina, Gilardi and Pinella 'constructed' the Bianchi bikes. A frame alone does not make a whole bike, and that is where Pinella seems to have been the king. Further down in the article, you will have a page where it shows you when Valsassina stopped making frames for the team (because hired away from Bianchi by Cino Cinelli) and when Gilardi started making these frames for the professionals. Now Carlo Drali was not working inside Bianchi, but people say that some of the reparto corse frames were made by him for professional riders.
How many of the 'normal' racing bike Bianchi frames, not for professionals, were made by Valsassina or Gilardi I would not know. Am pretty sure that they had at least helpers, or perhaps other framebuilders who would help in the production?
By the way, when Gilardi retired from Bianchi, he joined Lupo Mascheroni (another known mechanic) and made frames for him..
Likes For redo1:
Old 06-28-22, 06:21 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Massimo (Marcello Faggin's son-in-law)
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 06-28-22, 07:03 PM
iab

Originally Posted by redo1
The article does not state that Pinella made frames, except for one bit where it is not very clear, where it reads that Valsassina, Gilardi and Pinella 'constructed' the Bianchi bikes. A frame alone does not make a whole bike, and that is where Pinella seems to have been the king. Further down in the article, you will have a page where it shows you when Valsassina stopped making frames for the team (because hired away from Bianchi by Cino Cinelli) and when Gilardi started making these frames for the professionals. Now Carlo Drali was not working inside Bianchi, but people say that some of the reparto corse frames were made by him for professional riders.
How many of the 'normal' racing bike Bianchi frames, not for professionals, were made by Valsassina or Gilardi I would not know. Am pretty sure that they had at least helpers, or perhaps other framebuilders who would help in the production?
By the way, when Gilardi retired from Bianchi, he joined Lupo Mascheroni (another known mechanic) and made frames for him..
It would be interesting to know more about the shop dynamic/workflow. I understand Valsassina and Gilardi were the primary builders, but were they the only builders? Brazing? Filing?, Etc. What else did Pinella do? He left Frejus in 1952. Ghelfi didn't have much of a team at all in 1940, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47, 48. That's a long time for not setting up team bikes. Considering he was the guy for Martano, Bizzi,, Valetti and Bartali when he was at Frejus and the Tour in 37/38. They kept him busy with something. And I very much enjoy your insights. Not a lot of folks like the old stuff.
Old 06-28-22, 09:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Steve Howard of Livermore Cyclery, really nice guy. Used to swing by as a sales rep in the mid-80's, did a couple of rides with him.