Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replace 1995? Giant Sedona ATX

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Replace 1995? Giant Sedona ATX

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 02:36 PM
dnadrifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Replace 1995? Giant Sedona ATX, Hybrid or Mtn?

Looking to replace my 1995? Giant Sedona ATX. I currently use it like a hybrid. Over the years I have made it more upright riding with a riser stem so I am not so uncomfortable leaning over. At home mostly around the neighborhood with the family. We have been going to Sunriver once a year and I use it on all the paths and also like to do easy single tracks/trails around the area. (no significant uphill/downhill, some tree roots and lava rocks). I would also like to try out the easy Mt Bachelor Mtn Bike Park, which I have been told is very tame.I am not really finding a suitable replacement. I don’t think I really need suspension, but I would like larger tires (40c min, preferably 2.1-2.2). I don’t know much about bike geometries but think I would like it to be fairly upright riding given my current bike. Budget is up to $1500 and I would like it mid spec’d (Deore/equiv +). 1x drivetrain is a requirement.

Hybrids tend to have narrow tires and forks. If they don’t, they have cheap suspension forks. I am big (6’6”/250). I don’t want the suspension to be squishy and inconsistent. My son has a front shock on his precaliber 24” and it is not good.

Mtn Bikes (hard tail), can be had with better front suspension (air instead of coil), but I am afraid they aren’t going to be comfortable enough of a riding position.

The closest thing I have found is probably the Trek Dual Sport. The DS4 is no longer made and the current DS3 has a cheaper shock.

Looking for options and/or recommendations. I would prefer to stay with the larger bike brands, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Marin if possible.

Some Options:
  • Mid level rigid mtn bike (ex: Trek Marlin 8) and change stem and handle bar to make it more upright
  • Mid level hybrid like a Trek FX 3 Disk or Dual Sport 3 and replace tires and front fork if needed (either rigid or suspension that would allow larger tire/or a better front shock)
  • Marin DSX 2 gets pretty close, but it seems like more of a gravel bike and not sure how comfortable it will be

Last edited by dnadrifter; 07-01-22 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 12:44 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
How about another Sedona. I love my 2018. It's 3 x 7 speed transmission gives me a gear for every scenario I encounter. I like their Cypres too. The base model has no front suspension, which I like. Both have wide tires for a smooth ride and the ability to ride on wet grass or gravel.
Old 07-02-22, 08:13 PM
dnadrifter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
How about another Sedona. I love my 2018. It's 3 x 7 speed transmission gives me a gear for every scenario I encounter. I like their Cypres too. The base model has no front suspension, which I like. Both have wide tires for a smooth ride and the ability to ride on wet grass or gravel.
Thanks for the reply. I am not really looking for a cruiser though as that is what the current Sedona and Cypress appear to be. My "Sedona" in 1995 was more mountain bike than hybrid. The only hybrid part was probably the stem.

I am most accurately looking for a rigid hybrid that would accept larger tires.
Old 07-02-22, 09:04 PM
xroadcharlie

Giant makes a nice hybrid/adventure bike that might work for you. Their ToughRoad should be good for heavy riders with its composite fork, 50mm tires, and a 2 x 10 speed gearset, not the 1x you want. Going 1x is goinng to seriously limit you choices. Their Escape is a popular choice for a more tradional hybrid with 38mm tires.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-02-22 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 09:33 PM
dnadrifter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant makes a nice hybrid/adventure bike that might work for you. Their ToughRoad should be good for heavy riders with its composite fork, 50mm tires, and a 2 x 10 speed gearset, not the 1x you want. Going 1x is goinng to seriously limit you choices. Their Escape is a popular choice for a more tradional hybrid with 38mm tires.
Thanks that tough road does look nice and like a good option. The escape looks nice too and it says it will fit 45mm tires. Really wish they came in a 1x. Interesting Giant hasn't gone that direction.
Old 07-03-22, 08:48 AM
xroadcharlie

Originally Posted by dnadrifter
Thanks that tough road does look nice and like a good option. The escape looks nice too and it says it will fit 45mm tires. Really wish they came in a 1x. Interesting Giant hasn't gone that direction.
I wanted a 1x too when I bought my Giant Sedona in 2018. I might have bought their base Cypress which came with a 1 x 7 speed but didn't like the 10T jump from 6'th to 7'th. The Sedona uses the same cassette but with a 28/38/48T triple chainring it's not a problem.

If you take advantage of the benefits of a 2x or 3x chainring, like dropping 2 or 3 cogs with a single step, You might find them quite useful. I have. I've put 5,000 km on the triple and it still works flawlessly. In fact I have more trouble at the cassette then the chainring.

Cleaning can be a pain though, and I do like the uncluttered look of a single chainring. But as far as reliability goes, it's a non issue, At least for the kind of riding these bikes are likely to be used for.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-03-22 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-03-22, 07:23 PM
dnadrifter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wanted a 1x too when I bought my Giant Sedona in 2018. I might have bought their base Cypress which came with a 1 x 7 speed but didn't like the 10T jump from 6'th to 7'th. The Sedona uses the same cassette but with a 28/38/48T triple chainring it's not a problem.
I am pretty set on a 1x. I leave it on my current middle front cog almost all the time and only take for the few lowest gears. I am thinking a 1x10 should meet my needs fine. I appreciate your thoughts though.
Likes For dnadrifter:
Old 07-03-22, 07:27 PM
dnadrifter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am starting to lean toward a Trek DS 3 and immediately upgrade the shock to a Rockshox Paragon Gold RL. This would put the bike at about $1300.

I thought about buying the DS3 and getting a carbon rigid fork (and its still an option) but they are spendy too....at least the ones I found. Its hard to buy a carbon fork for $300-500 when I could buy a reasonable suspension fork.
Old 07-04-22, 11:43 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dnadrifter
I am pretty set on a 1x. I leave it on my current middle front cog almost all the time and only take for the few lowest gears. I am thinking a 1x10 should meet my needs fine. I appreciate your thoughts though.
I make my own 1 x by removing which front ring I don't want, using shims on the ring bolts to make up for the thickness difference, remove front derailleur and shifter and you are finished. 20 to 30 min. Tops
Old 07-05-22, 08:26 PM
dnadrifter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdogg111
I make my own 1 x by removing which front ring I don't want, using shims on the ring bolts to make up for the thickness difference, remove front derailleur and shifter and you are finished. 20 to 30 min. Tops
But I guess then you would be missing out on the expanded casette of one designed for a 1x drivetrain? Making your own just saves weight then vs just not using the other front chain ring?