Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Better mousetrap spoke protector you like for 36h wheel?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-11-21, 07:09 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

Putting together a new 36h wheel, because of the different spacing of the spokes I'm not finding a way to put on the generic plastic spoke protector that was on the 32 spoke wheel so that the locking tabs will fit and allow the cassette to fully seat. The only way I'm able to make it fit is file off the locking lip on the tabs and cut one off altogether. I see guards listed as being for 36h but they also have 4 tabs. I see some with 3 tabs. Another problem I find is that the tabs generally break after a while and the protector gets off-center.

Is there a better mousetrap spoke guard that you like that uses a different method to stay in place not dependent on spoke spacing? To date I've never had a chain overrun issue where it went off the cassette but I feel like the protector should be there.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-21, 07:13 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
The stop screw on the rear derailleur is the better mousetrap spoke protector.
Likes For danmyersmn:
Old 10-11-21, 07:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Putting together a new 36h wheel, because of the different spacing of the spokes I'm not finding a way to put on the generic plastic spoke protector that was on the 32 spoke wheel so that the locking tabs will fit and allow the cassette to fully seat. The only way I'm able to make it fit is file off the locking lip on the tabs and cut one off altogether. I see guards listed as being for 36h but they also have 4 tabs. I see some with 3 tabs. Another problem I find is that the tabs generally break after a while and the protector gets off-center.

Is there a better mousetrap spoke guard that you like that uses a different method to stay in place not dependent on spoke spacing? To date I've never had a chain overrun issue where it went off the cassette but I feel like the protector should be there.

Thanks.
Save yourself some bother and ditch the dork disc. I'm not opposed to them for folks who are disinclined or unable to maintain their bikes but most cyclists do fine w/o them.
Old 10-11-21, 07:41 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Save yourself some bother and ditch the dork disc. I'm not opposed to them for folks who are disinclined or unable to maintain their bikes but most cyclists do fine w/o them.
Old 10-11-21, 08:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You need a 4-tab disc to install on a 36 spoke wheel and there is no good way to adapt a 3-tab disc. And, yes plastic discs do get brittle and crack after a while so either buy spares or look for a metal disc that won't break but will probably rattle and drive you nuts.

As mentioned above, proper adjustment of the low limit screw should make the disc unnecessary.
Old 10-11-21, 08:43 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You need a 4-tab disc to install on a 36 spoke wheel and there is no good way to adapt a 3-tab disc. And, yes plastic discs do get brittle and crack after a while so either buy spares or look for a metal disc that won't break but will probably rattle and drive you nuts.

As mentioned above, proper adjustment of the low limit screw should make the disc unnecessary.
Actually, it's the other way around. 4 tab is for 32 spokes, 3 tab for 36.
Old 10-11-21, 10:04 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Thanks.
Freewheel or freehub?

Cheers
Old 10-11-21, 10:18 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Get a metal pie plate and shoot a 1-3/8" hole somewhere thereabouts the middle. Do not get exactly centered because you lose the comedic effect.
Install between cogs/hub.
Old 10-11-21, 11:18 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Get a metal pie plate and shoot a 1-3/8" hole somewhere thereabouts the middle. Do not get exactly centered because you lose the comedic effect.
Install between cogs/hub.
Where do you get a 34.9mm canon from?
Old 10-11-21, 12:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Barry2
Where do you get a 34.9mm canon from?
I have to do your shopping for you too?
Did you try Google?
Old 10-11-21, 12:28 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I have to do your shopping for you too?
Did you try Google?
NOBODY would ever post without Googling first...

Google failed me... just a bunch of "Lenses"
Old 10-11-21, 12:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Barry2
Google failed me... just a bunch of "Lenses"
Maybe if you tried cannon.........
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-11-21, 01:57 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Thanks.
I have a couple of freewheel type spoke protectors. Depending on where you are I could send you one.

Cheers
Old 10-11-21, 06:50 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I have a couple of freewheel type spoke protectors. Depending on where you are I could send you one.

Cheers
MIne is freehub but I appreciate it!
Old 10-11-21, 07:39 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
You can line it all up, mark with a sharpie. Drill small holes and use a small ziptie. But may tick against derailer arm, have to see.
Old 10-11-21, 07:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Putting together a new 36h wheel,
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a smart-ass, but I imagine if you can build up your own wheels, properly adjusting the derailleur and setting the limits should be a piece of cake to you. I like the looks of an original "pie plate" spoke protector on my 80s survivor bike boom bikes, but I don't like them in general on a bike that never had them.

Old 10-11-21, 08:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Actually, it's the other way around. 4 tab is for 32 spokes, 3 tab for 36.
Whoops, yeah you are right. Still the OP needs the right one and the other type really can't be adapted.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-11-21, 11:08 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I love my dork disks!

I would be pretty annoyed if the chain actually went into them, because they crack so easily when old, especially if it was my only 'Romet' branded one, in red plastic.

Old 10-12-21, 07:25 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Geepig
I love my dork disks!

I would be pretty annoyed if the chain actually went into them, because they crack so easily when old, especially if it was my only 'Romet' branded one, in red plastic.

I have a couple of chrome steel ones. On a Raleigh Vector I picked up out of the garbage there is a chromed Suntour spoke protector that cleaned up to almost new condition.

I figure that a spoke protector is like a good insurance policy = you hope you never need it but if you do you're really glad to have it.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-12-21, 11:16 AM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by danmyersmn
The stop screw on the rear derailleur is the better mousetrap spoke protector.
But a missed quick shift can still dump a chain into the spokes. Don't ask me how I know.