Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

All about BMC

Old 04-19-22, 09:49 PM
Pantah

Bikes: 2008 BMC TeamMachine, 2001 Klein Adept, 2000 Cannondale R300, 1999 Cannondale R4000, 1997 Grennspeed GTR , 1997 Marin Pine Mountain, 1991 Klein Quantum Race, 1991 Marin Team Marin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 21 Posts
All about BMC

Just wanted to share a cool project I finished up a couple weeks back.
The first time I recall being aware of BMC was when my brother was working at a shop which sold them back in 2007-2008. I remember immediately liking the styling and wanted one, but of course anything by them was wildly out of my price range as I was 19 at the time working part time as a busser/waiter.

Well, I finally hit the point where I could afford one but they are impossible to find used in my size from just about any year, let alone an "early" model. Wound up grabbing a Teammachine SLT01, size 61cm, off ebay. Sale included the fork, headset and seatpost, that's it. Ground up build but I rather enjoy that. After collecting parts for a couple of months, I was able to finish the build.
I've historically been a 90's and aluminum/steel guy, but I went all out carbon on this. Wheels, handlebar, seat post, bottle cage, (cranks will be soon) and whatever carbon bits the components have. Groupset is full Sram Force 10 speed. Still getting used to the double tap system. Wheelset is Vision SC 40, quite light and good quality, though the skewers were oddly heavy so ditched them in favor of an old set of titanium Salsa skewers I had laying around.

Red happens to be my favorite color and goes well with both black and white, so that is why there's a pile of red accents. The fading bar tape is cool though didn't wrap nicely (didn't stretch much) and ended up being about 3 wraps short, so I'll be replacing it at some point with good old Salsa bar tape.

Final weight is 18lbs, 4oz as it sits in the photo. Fully confident I can get it below 18 with carbon cranks and some titanium bits, namely Eggbeater 11's.
Now I know I'm being a weight weenie on this. Not something I normally care about much, my primary ride is a '91 Klein Quantum with 105 groupset and a triple crank, so it weighs at least 24lbs, but this is my one truly light bike, might as well go all out.

Likes For Pantah:
Old 04-20-22, 10:22 AM
Rolla
Victimless Criminal

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,200 Posts
Darn. I thought this was going to be a Black Mountain Cycles thread.

Glad you're digging your bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-20-22, 11:11 PM
Pantah

Bikes: 2008 BMC TeamMachine, 2001 Klein Adept, 2000 Cannondale R300, 1999 Cannondale R4000, 1997 Grennspeed GTR , 1997 Marin Pine Mountain, 1991 Klein Quantum Race, 1991 Marin Team Marin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla View Post
Darn. I thought this was going to be a Black Mountain Cycles thread.

Glad you're digging your bike.
Folks are just a click away from sharing their BMC's!