Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to start a Bike Co-Op?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-11-22, 11:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,723 Posts

How does something like this get started? I'd love to be part of one in my area, but there's hardly even a bike store (Giant dealership).
Old 05-11-22, 12:57 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Probably not very easy. I was there when a couple of avid cyclists started the Yellow Jersey Bike Co-op in Madison, WI in the 1970s. They were tired of not being able to get quality parts locally and at a reasonable price. They joined together and found enough students who were willing to kick in money to join the co-op and fund the start. Even once they got established the local banks were unwilling to lend them money for stock. It did become very successful after a time. Today it is no longer is located in Madison and is no longer a cooperative. These days you have so many online sources it probably would not make sense to those who started the business.

if you simply Google on "Starting a Cooperative" you will get lots of answers
Old 05-11-22, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
How does something like this get started? I'd love to be part of one in my area, but there's hardly even a bike store (Giant dealership).

Maybe contact a few existing bike coops and ask them how they got started?

Here's one down the road a piece:

https://www.durhambikecoop.org/
Old 05-11-22, 12:59 PM
smd4

Thanks VT. Sort of what I thought.
Old 05-11-22, 01:02 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Maybe contact a few existing bike coops and ask them how they got started?

Here's one down the road a piece:

https://www.durhambikecoop.org/
I did see the one in Durham.

After reading around the BF a bit, it just seems like everyone posting has some nearby co-op. I'd never really heard of them until I started reading about them here. Seems like a neat idea if I could find others similarly like-minded. Sounds like it would take capital outlay though. And I wonder how much push-back you'd get from the local shops?
Old 05-11-22, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I did see the one in Durham.

After reading around the BF a bit, it just seems like everyone posting has some nearby co-op. I'd never really heard of them until I started reading about them here. Seems like a neat idea if I could find others similarly like-minded. Sounds like it would take capital outlay though. And I wonder how much push-back you'd get from the local shops?

Contact this one--the Queen City Bike Coop in Manchester, NH. https://qcbike.org/
I can tell you from personal experience that it's run by some nice people who will likely want to give you advice.

They actually get support from at least one of the local bike shops. And the coops can give you ideas on how they raised funding.
Old 05-11-22, 01:32 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
IDK if my idea of a bike co-op and yours is different, particularly in the discussion above about "quality parts".

The most successful and longest lasting co-op I am aware of here near Atlanta has tables and tables of what most enthusiasts would consider junk or BSO. Very occasionally you can locate a nice older machine and in particular is a good place to find bikes/parts for something you may wish to commute on and not worry so much about theft.
Given their stock I would figure that a good start would be a municipal police impound. Find a couple of people willing to sit there and hopefully with some basic level of maint. and assy. ability. Beyond that, some money to keep the rent paid and lights on, according to your access to a "free" place to be (don't forget zoning if such should apply).

The co-op here used to be pretty much free but did ask for donations. I think they swapped over to a payment system some years back in an effort to keep money coming in and stay open. At one point they were also willing to allow barter and in particular trade for labor.
Old 05-11-22, 02:09 PM
smd4

I don't know. I used to work as a bike mechanic back in the day, and thought it might be fun to have a place to help other folks and kids work on their bikes and learn something. I know hardly anyone in the area who are really big into biking. I really enjoy the mechanical aspects, so I don't really ride with a group or anything. Sounds like I would probably be biting off more than I can chew.
Old 05-11-22, 03:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Smdf4, good that you realize this now. Running a successful co-op is no different than running a successful business.
Old 05-12-22, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't know. I used to work as a bike mechanic back in the day, and thought it might be fun to have a place to help other folks and kids work on their bikes and learn something. I know hardly anyone in the area who are really big into biking. I really enjoy the mechanical aspects, so I don't really ride with a group or anything. Sounds like I would probably be biting off more than I can chew.

Seriously, contact the Queen City Bike Coop I linked to above. You just described what they do to a tee.
The people who started it have done a wonderful job, and managed to keep it going even after the long enforced COVID shutdown.
Old 05-12-22, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Smdf4, good that you realize this now. Running a successful co-op is no different than running a successful business.
Yes and no. It probably needs to be set up as a non-profit so it can accept contributions.
Old 05-12-22, 01:37 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Contact this one--the Queen City Bike Coop in Manchester, NH. https://qcbike.org/
I can tell you from personal experience that it's run by some nice people who will likely want to give you advice.

They actually get support from at least one of the local bike shops. And the coops can give you ideas on how they raised funding.
Thanks. They have a very nice website. I will try and contact them.
Old 05-12-22, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thanks. They have a very nice website. I will try and contact them.

I bought a nice bike from them, it's a terrific operation. They work with a lot of kids and help them build their own bikes.
Old 05-12-22, 10:28 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Probably not very easy. I was there when a couple of avid cyclists started the Yellow Jersey Bike Co-op in Madison, WI in the 1970s. They were tired of not being able to get quality parts locally and at a reasonable price. They joined together and found enough students who were willing to kick in money to join the co-op and fund the start. Even once they got established the local banks were unwilling to lend them money for stock. It did become very successful after a time. Today it is no longer is located in Madison and is no longer a cooperative. These days you have so many online sources it probably would not make sense to those who started the business.

if you simply Google on "Starting a Cooperative" you will get lots of answers
Cool story, happy ending, Yellow Jersey is an awesome bike shop, in a way better location.
Tim
Old 05-12-22, 11:27 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
A good place to start is a primordial soup of bike parts & a few dedicated volunteers with a lot of good intentions.

Discipline, dedication, skill, training, strong active management, organization. It's not easy.

Study 5s's. That is: Sort, Simplify, Standardize, Shine, Sustain. Implement it. When the shop works, people work.

Define the shops' mission.

Have 3 competent employees of overlapping responsibilities: Manage Shop, Manage bikes/repairs, Manage Relations. Create a board of Directors & have them actively seek grant money & engage local city/county politics, infrastructure, transportation interests.

I am at: ABOUT>BOARD & STAFF though the Bio is a bit outdated...I am there 6 days/week & the 7th at a local for-profit.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

Good luck.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-12-22, 11:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Study 5s's. That is: Sort, Simplify, Standardize, Shine, Sustain. Implement it. When the shop works, people work.
our guys called this Sticker, sweep, spray paint, stash, ****can. I can see how it would work for co op inventory.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-13-22, 12:24 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I would start by having a few Bicycle Clinics to kind of feel out what interest there is out there. During the clinics you can find and test individuals that you are going to bring in. Many will do the talk but not the walk. Money spent on this research will be a deduction on your first years expenses plus give you credibility when applying for a business loan.

I would suggest an LLC or an S-Corp and stay "For Profit" even if you don't make one. Its the best way to stay in CONTROL. If you want you can still run the LLC or S-Corp just like a Co-Op then reorganize and change over. Some people get the misconception that Co-Ops pay less taxes. Well don't worry about paying taxes. Regardless of what type of business you have if you make money you will pay taxes. Its just the way it is.

Latter if you convert into a Co-Op you will have a proven member base. Then you will have to decide if you are going to be a Consumer Co-Op or a Business Co-Op.

Notice I have completely avoided the term, Non-Profit. But that is another possibility.

Either way if you are going to start a Co-Op, LLC, or S-Corp, you are going to start a business, and it will require your full attention to succeed or fail...

Last edited by zandoval; 05-13-22 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 12:37 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
And I wonder how much push-back you'd get from the local shops?
...we never got any pushback from the local bike shops here. We made a particular effort to inform them that we were not doing repairs for money, or selling new stuff.

All our repair efforts were targeted at helping teach people to do their own repairs, and none of the local shops sell used bikes any more, and haven't for a long time. So we were not competing with them in any area where they made money. In fact several of the local shops used to save takeoff stuff like tyres and pedals that people wanted upgraded on their new purchases, to donate to us.

But the starting of one is pretty labor intensive, as is the constant struggle to maintain a roster of knowledgeable volunteers to run the place. I don't mind saying I was burned out after about five years of it, and there are a million personality conflicts that arise in an all volunteer organization. I like to say now that the local bicycle co-op eats its young. Because that's what I saw happening a lot. So it was hard to maintain an organizational memory, to avoid repeating the same mistakes. There are probably better, less burned out people here, who can sufficiently encourage you.
Old 05-13-22, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...we never got any pushback from the local bike shops here. We made a particular effort to inform them that we were not doing repairs for money, or selling new stuff.

All our repair efforts were targeted at helping teach people to do their own repairs, and none of the local shops sell used bikes any more, and haven't for a long time. So we were not competing with them in any area where they made money. In fact several of the local shops used to save takeoff stuff like tyres and pedals that people wanted upgraded on their new purchases, to donate to us.
My sense from the Manchester bike coop, which gets a lot of LBS support of the type you're talking about, is that the LBS think if the COOP is taking any business away from anyone, it's Walmart, so they're all for it.
Old 05-13-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Local shops will donate useful used parts and surplus inventory to you if you establish a good initial relationship. If you are serving a low-income/classic and vintage/cheap hobbyist demographic, then you will not pose a threat to commercial shops. In fact, they will refer business to you, which usually involves folks with overly complex bikes with intractable problems and no money. So old department-store full-sus bikes with auxiliary electric or gas drives bristling with ancient GPS systems, lights, computers and sound systems. Have to have a set of loud speakers on your bike strapped to 2 tiers of riser stems! Commercial shops send these folks immediately our way.

Starting a Co-op: you'll need open ground-level commercial space close to a bike path system. No stairs. You'll need insurance, and non-profit status. You'll need an account with one or more of the bike parts wholesalers.

You'll want to focus on used bikes sales (from donations) and DIY repairs and instruction. Most of your money will come from bike sales and grants/donations. DO NOT pay for ANY donated bikes or parts, or within hours you'll turn into a stolen bike fencing operation.

Volunteers: you'll need experienced bike mechanics and instructors, shop administrators and fundraisers/promoters. Whatever you do, do not allow WOKE social justice warrior volunteer types to highjack your shop mission. Not only do they not know much about bikes or business, they will not contribute to actually keeping the shop operating. Their underlying objective will be to consume all shop resources (shop profile, money and volunteers) to serve their personal crusades including anti-poverty, immigration, climate change, green energy, ban the car, deforestation, save the narwhale, etc. Plus tear the shop apart from the inside with divisive politics. My former favorite Co-op imploded this way.

Co-ops: well worthwhile and good luck!

What a great post! The Manchester bike coop does work with low-income people to get them on bikes that they fix up themselves. I think that's hard to be against from a political point of view and focused enough to be a good mission for a bike coop. They also employ a couple of mechanics. I think actually paying a couple guys to build up the used bikes for sale and teach the people coming in seems to pay for itself. They charge like $5 an hour for shop time during which they'll give you advice and hand you the right tools.
Old 05-13-22, 04:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Go to bikecollectives.org for a wealth of information.

I was at the infancy of the Bicycle Action Project in Indianapolis, which started, died, and was reborn as Indy Cog. BAP literally started when a guy told a buddy about his idea, the buddy put the story in the local paper, and next thing you know there was a pile of donated bikes and stuff. A space was acquired, volunteers found, and off it went. There was no plan.

Some years later I started volunteering at the Columbus Bike Co-op (Columbus, IN) when it was literally a few friends doing a thing out of a donated garage with nothing but their spare time and bike know-how. No real plan, just the idea they got by hearing about a co-op in Bloomington, IN. That was probably 20 years ago, and the Columbus Bike Co-op is still going strong. https://www.bikeco-op.org/. They had no plan. I was there through the 501c3 process, and all the necessary business arrangements. Passion turned into action which did good stuff which attracted people, corporate backing, and it just snowballed.

I started the San Angelo Bike kitchen when I moved there. I talked to enough people that eventually a local church donated their unused bus barn, local shops dumped unwanted inventory and tools on me, and a church lady gave me a monthly stipend to "do good stuff". When I moved away, everything got donated to the local Maker Space, and as far as I know it still exists there.

I've traveled a fair amount, and when I go to a new city I find the local co-op if there is one. You can actually tell a lot about the city about visiting such a place. There is no one path to success, no one successful mission. Some are youth focused, some are low-income focused, some are about re-use, some are up-cycling, some actually do compete with local shops on service. You'll find earn-a-bike programs at some, while others are more about DIY with volunteer help. Some have paid staff, others are 100% volunteers.

My advise is, figure out what your passion is, and jump in. If you want guaranteed success, this isn't for you.

Good luck, and I'd love to visit if you get it off the ground.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-13-22, 05:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Do you org guys think it would be a good idea for BF to have a co-ops and non-profits forum? I don't know if there's already some kind of networking thing like that.
Old 05-13-22, 08:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts

Volunteers: you'll need experienced bike mechanics and instructors, shop administrators and fundraisers/promoters. Whatever you do, do not allow WOKE social justice warrior volunteer types to highjack your shop mission. Not only do they not know much about bikes or business, they will not contribute to actually keeping the shop operating. Their underlying objective will be to consume all shop resources (shop profile, money and volunteers) to serve their personal crusades including anti-poverty, immigration, climate change, green energy, ban the car, deforestation, save the narwhale, etc. Plus tear the shop apart from the inside with divisive politics. My former favorite Co-op imploded this way.
...this triggered my PTSD. It's like you were there.
Old 06-17-22, 12:04 PM
whg.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find some space, get some tools, set up a supplier and find some volunteers. None of this is too challenging if you have some funding, but finding funding might be hard? I wasn't around for the inception of our non-profit bike shop, so I'm not sure where that initial funding came from. I think we got lucky by being taken under the wing of a larger non-profit, but I'm not sure of the details.

Decide early on whether you want to build a bike fixing club for old retired guys, or a non-profit bike shop that offers community to people who feel left out of other cycling spaces. I've learned that it is hard to be both, unless your retired guys are interested in unlearning some **** and growing with the needs of the community. Many are, some aren't. If you're looking to build a community shop, make sure to have a clear and consistent mission and set of values and work hard to maintain them as you grow. In any case, don't get into it for the money, but we have found grant funding easier to come by as an organization with clearly stated progressive values and (for the most part) an interest in putting them into play by partnering with similarly aligned groups. Far from being a drain, we have found that these partnerships bring us more resources and a higher profile, and most importantly make the work a lot more meaningful.

Our failure to manage our growth in line with our values has given undue influence to some of our more reactionary volunteers, who resist using resources on anything that is not all about them. This has caused some problems, and has slowed progress and growth, but we're doing OK. If you want to follow any kind of code of values, make sure to prioritize those over someone's mechanical abilities when looking for partners and volunteers. Assuming you have one person (yourself?) who can teach others, anyone can learn to wrench. There are plenty of resources out there to help people learn. But, not everyone is capable of being part of a community built on mutual respect and understanding, as some of the comments here demonstrate.
Old 06-17-22, 11:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
Please tell....

Fundraising is critical to the finances of a Co-op, as are collaborations with schools and businesses that want bike educational sessions.

Again to reiterate: you want to keep the ‘progressive’ social justice warrior type aspirations suppressed in your nascent organization, or your fundraising will be severely impeded. Otherwise, you’ll spend an immense amount of time and factious energy debating on where the money is coming from and whether the funding is ‘virtuous’ enough. Of course, nothing remotely touched by the fossil fuel industry, or organized religion (any), or any level of government is clean enough. Or money that is non-vegan. Or from the commercial sector or any product of capitalism itself! So you’ll be reduced to begging money from a tiny subsector of the economy, which is basically similarly poor ‘progressive’ non-profits or charities. Which means you’ll be rotating the same wrinkled $20 bill around between organizations with no money.

I’ve had ‘progressive’ type volunteers state to my face that they rather let the co-op go broke, than accept a donation from a corporation. So prospective donors, for which a $200k cheque is a rounding error in their yearly revenues, are all off of the table for various reasons.

Beware of requests to ‘partner’ with a similarly poor non-profit. This is a codeword for an imminent and ongoing drain of money and resources.

And don’t allow ‘progressive’ type volunteers crap on the local community. One successful co-op went into a quick death spiral when they decided to take on the fossil-fuel industry, a major employer. The savage social media backlash, and a snap rent increase finished them off.

PS: to the greatest extent possible, minimize work on peripheral resource draining projects such as:
  • Values, vision and mission statements
  • Codes of conduct
  • Strategic plans
These are essential, but can be developed quickly. Bottom line: stay alive, and fix bikes for individuals.

There will be a subset of your volunteer base that have no bike fixing skills or are even interested in bikes at all, but see themselves as visionary leaders. The above are codewords for hijacking the organization through debate, bureaucracy and busy-work.
Or more bluntly stated: Those who are too proud to take money are too proud to do business with.

Be humble. Be helpful. Be graceful...Fix bikes.

Car dependency is a tax.