Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Planned obsolescence

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Planned obsolescence

Old 06-30-22, 09:52 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Planned obsolescence

I have both rim brake bikes and disc brake bikes. I have both mechanical shifters and electronic shifting. Beginning soon, Shimano will only offer 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace with disc brakes and electronic shifting.

The development of road and gravel bikes with disc brakes and excellent quality tires bigger than 28mm is a great option. These bikes are comfortable & safer with no loss in performance, in many cases. Disc brakes are a clear advancement over cantilever brakes found on older cyclocross bikes, for example.

I'm not convinced that disc brakes is worth the extra complexity on bikes with tires smaller than 30mm wide. Being forced to use electronic shifting is expensive, but at least early generations of electronic shifting didn't require disc brakes, so updating older rim brake bikes was still an option.

Welcome to a showroom full of very expensive bikes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-30-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-30-22, 10:09 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Cyclists generally buy what the industry offers, like it or not. I would like to see a backlash of sorts by some manufacturers sticking to tried and true components and materials. I know that some do, but these products are not readily available locally in most places. Personally, I like manual shifting. It's one of the things that I do when I ride. I don't want to simply press a button. It's all a matter of preference, as bike technology over the past twenty or so years have made most bikes solid performers. My son is currently riding a 2004 Trek 2300 with Ultegra components and rim brakes. The bike still performs well, but some of the components are beginning to wear out. It would be good if he could replace them with what he prefers rather than what manufacturers prefer to produce. But that's the way of world.
Likes For jackb:
Old 06-30-22, 10:14 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I always lol when people ask how long 10 speed or 11 speed components will be available. Especially since you can still by down tube shifters and five speed freewheels. I don’t know why everyone is so nervous about it.
Old 06-30-22, 10:22 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by brianmcg123
I always lol when people ask how long 10 speed or 11 speed components will be available. Especially since you can still by down tube shifters and five speed freewheels. I don’t know why everyone is so nervous about it.
Being prepared and being "nervous" are two different things. My collection starts with a 1971 Peugeot PX10 and has three disc brake bikes. Each bike could finish a century ride. I'm not nervous, just informed.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-30-22, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Ultegra and DuraAce were already up there in price. I just see it as electronic shifting is getting less expensive, so it makes no sense to have both a cable pulled model of the same tier group along with a electronic model in the same tier.

While my rim brakes were pretty trouble free, I don't mind the disc brakes and so far, my hydraulic disc brakes have been way more reliable and trouble free than the posts about them here on BF had me imagining. So far no need to bleed and no pad changes yet. Though I did buy some pads last year, just in case.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-30-22, 11:40 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Especially since you can still by down tube shifters and five speed freewheels.
Where can you still get 5 speed freewheels?
Old 06-30-22, 12:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Oh, thank goodness!

I was worried we didn't enough anti-electronic shifting threads today.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-30-22, 12:57 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Oh, thank goodness!

Just wait until the electronic dropper posts are introduced!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-30-22, 01:04 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Oh, thank goodness!

There is nothing in the opening post that is "anti-electronic shifting", and nothing in any of the other posts.
Old 06-30-22, 02:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
For the kind of cycling I do, I simply cannot justify the expense of an update or "upgrade."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-30-22, 02:48 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
You can buy IRD freewheels as 5, 6 or 7 speed. It looks like Sunrace is about done selling 5 speed freewheels, so I’m not sure if there are other options.

Single speed freewheels are still plentiful.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-30-22, 02:56 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Your local bike shop should be able to order one for you. Sunrace is the most widely available new option, but Interloc and a couple other companies also offer them. Otherwise search "5 speed freewheel" and you will find many options. Ebay is overflowing with new, used, and NOS options.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 06-30-22, 07:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
For the kind of cycling I do, I simply cannot justify the expense of an update or "upgrade."
When I buy a road bike I don't justify the expense in any logical sort of way. I buy one because I want it. Not because I need more gears or whatever. I just want a new bike. Still, haven't bought a road bike in 10 years but I'm getting the itch.
Now a mountain bike is a different story. Mountain bikes changed dramatically in about 2018. I did buy a new mtb in 2018 and I certainly justified that expense with the technology.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-30-22, 08:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
I’m still riding bikes with 10 speeds, triple cranks, and rim brakes. I do all my own wrenching, and for me, any improvement offered by hydraulic discs, electronic shifting, or some of the proprietary components simply isn’t worth it the additional maintenance hassles.

It’s already hard to find triple brifters, but I’ll hold out as long as I can. At that point, I’m gonna have to suck it up.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 06-30-22, 08:31 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Biker395
I’m still riding bikes with 10 speeds, triple cranks, and rim brakes. I do all my own wrenching, and for me, any improvement offered by hydraulic discs, electronic shifting, or some of the proprietary components simply isn’t worth it the additional maintenance hassles.

It’s already hard to find triple brifters, but I’ll hold out as long as I can. At that point, I’m gonna have to suck it up.
The one bike I have with a triple still shifts. I don't ride it very often but if it quit working I wouldn't mind switching to a compact.
Old 07-01-22, 05:13 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Biker395

Yes, I accumulated Campagnolo 9 speed parts that will keep my vintage steel De Rosa and Pinarello on the road for another 10 years or so. I also have complete sets of 10 and 11 speed Shimano for rim brake bikes that I'll keep in inventory.

5 years ago, I built up a new rim brake Ridley Helium SLX with electronic shifting for a 2x11 drivetrain. If I had installed Shimano on this bike, I'd be unable to get replacement parts once inventories are exhausted. I installed SRAM eTap and it looks like replacements are still available.

I can't help thinking about all the carbon fiber rim brake bikes sold in the last 15 years. At some point in the near future, these bikes won't have replacement parts available. Shifters and derailleurs will become scarce in less than 2 years.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-01-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-01-22, 05:32 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
As I said to my son yesterday, non-performance bikes will retain mechanical shifting and rim brakes for some time to come. Only performance bikes will have electronic shifting due to the cost. Enthusiasts are most always happy to adopt the latest technology, it is their hobby after all. For those that simply ride a bike without the enthusiast point of view, electronic shifting is not necessary, and some will go so far as to state it is unwanted. Simply the evolution of the bicycle.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-01-22, 06:02 AM
KF2M

Bikes: Schwinn AL Comp/Modded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Just wait until the electronic dropper posts are introduced!
Rumor has it Elon is working on a self driving e-bike that even automatically puts down the kickstand for you.
Likes For KF2M:
Old 07-01-22, 06:16 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Planned obsolescence usually refers to items designed to require replacement more frequently than should be necessary. Which I don't find to be the case with bicycles. I ride 40 year old bikes and they aren't at all obsolete. They serve the purpose quite reliably after all those decades.
Old 07-01-22, 07:44 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
New bikes or anything else are rip-offs and are for chumps.
Old 07-01-22, 09:00 AM
big john

Originally Posted by beng1
Likes For big john:
Old 07-01-22, 10:37 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by beng1
agree

it's been all downhill since we moved on from high wheel bikes
Old 07-01-22, 11:18 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche.../dp/B09RB911HJ
Likes For brianmcg123:
Old 07-01-22, 11:49 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I buy a road bike I don't justify the expense in any logical sort of way. I buy one because I want it. Not because I need more gears or whatever. I just want a new bike. Still, haven't bought a road bike in 10 years but I'm getting the itch.
Now a mountain bike is a different story. Mountain bikes changed dramatically in about 2018. I did buy a new mtb in 2018 and I certainly justified that expense with the technology.
you have a Seven Ti road bike (?) - sweet bike ... might be tough to top that one (?)

how is the weight of the MTB ? some of the look like tanks - and I've heard some comments that might support this observation
Old 07-01-22, 11:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Next year the BIG new thing will be TWO chain rings on the crank set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Likes For rydabent:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.