Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beginner has Bike Trainer Questions.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Beginner has Bike Trainer Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 07:29 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Do Bike Trainers ruin tires?

Last winter I ride every day and the rain wasn’t that bad. I even wore shorts all through the winter. This year has been tough in the Northwest. I finally went and got a Kurt Kinetic Trainer.
I was told that Bike Trainers ruin tires. Is that true? Doesn’t make sense. I’ m using a gravel tire. The wheel hits a smooth steel roller, not asphalt or gravel. If that were true, don’t you think someone would’ve been smart enough to put a rubber coating on it? Or couldn’t you get an old bike tire and and cut it up and tie wrap it to the steel roller?
Old 12-11-21, 07:40 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
couldn’t you get an old bike tire and and cut it up and tie wrap it to the steel roller?
... or just put the old tire on your bike?

https://indoorcyclingtips.com/how-to...-bike-trainer/
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-11-21, 07:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Last winter I ride every day and the rain wasn’t that bad. I even wore shorts all through the winter. This year has been tough in the Northwest. I finally went and got a Kurt Kinetic Trainer.
I was told that Bike Trainers ruin tires. Is that true? Doesn’t make sense. I’ m using a gravel tire. The wheel hits a smooth steel roller, not asphalt or gravel. If that were true, don’t you think someone would’ve been smart enough to put a rubber coating on it? Or couldn’t you get an old bike tire and and cut it up and tie wrap it to the steel roller?
Assuming you have a road bike, I have a Vittoria trainer tire and a Wheel I no longer use. If you want it, you can have it, just cover the shipping. The wheel is a Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke wheel with an Ultegra hub. It was my dedicated trainer wheel. Just private message me your address and I will send it out.

You would just need to put a cassette on it.

Brian

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-11-21 at 07:48 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-11-21, 07:54 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Assuming you have a road bike, I have a Vittoria trainer tire and a Wheel I no longer use. If you want it, you can have it, just cover the shipping. The wheel is a Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke wheel with an Ultegra hub. It was my dedicated trainer wheel. Just private message me your address and I will send it out.

You would just need to put a cassette on it.

Brian
Thanks Brian. I thought it over, now I have an excuse to buy another bike ! (Ps I buy them used and fix them up.)
Old 12-11-21, 08:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Thanks Brian. I thought it over, now I have an excuse to buy another bike ! (Ps I buy them used and fix them up.)
Any reason is a good reason. If you still want the tire let me know and I can put it in the mail.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-12-21, 10:21 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
A hardy gravel tyre might be alright on the turbo. Does it vibrate much with the added tread pattern? Smoother tyres tend to be quieter.

I found when I was using a "fast" road tyre on the turbo it wore away and flattened the middle. I ended up just using old tyres that were too worn for the road, mounted on an old spare wheel.

Specific "turbo tyres" aren't necessary. They claim to be longer lasting and quieter.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-13-21, 06:18 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
In my experience, "miles" on wheel on trainers do wear down tires faster than the same amount of miles on the road. At first I used old road tires on the old bike dedicated to my Wahoo Kicker SNAP trainer but got tired of cleaning up the rubber dust and replacing the tire each season. Bought a Continental Trainer tire, it has now lasted 3 years (between 4-5K Zwift "miles") - showing wear at the contact point, I keep waiting for it to wear through but not yet. And no cleanup required.
Old 12-13-21, 09:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Trainer tires are sold for a reason. And those tires are terrible on outside roads for a reason.
Different compounds for different riding.

Use an old slick tire and vacuum up all the bits of rubber that rub off. Or use a trainer tire. Either is better than a gravel tire.
Old 12-14-21, 10:51 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I think the issue is more that a trainer will wear a tire in a very flat way because the tire is always perpendicular to the roller. So if you do enough miles on the trainer you'll have a tire that's really rough when you go back on the road.

If you're using it over the winter, then just buy a cheap slick tire to use until you're wanting to back outside.
Old 12-14-21, 11:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
A hardy gravel tyre might be alright on the turbo. Does it vibrate much with the added tread pattern? Smoother tyres tend to be quieter.

I found when I was using a "fast" road tyre on the turbo it wore away and flattened the middle. I ended up just using old tyres that were too worn for the road, mounted on an old spare wheel.

Specific "turbo tyres" aren't necessary. They claim to be longer lasting and quieter.
This is exactly what I do. Wear them down to the cords.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-14-21, 11:40 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Don't make it a problem until it's a problem. I did hundreds of hours on a dumb trainer with GP4000's and saw no significant wear - not enough to care about.
Old 12-14-21, 11:46 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
My experience seems to be the opposite of most on this topic. I've got 2500-3000 wheel-on (Wahoo Kickr Snap) trainer miles on a previously used 28mm Continental GP 5000 since last fall and it still looks perfectly fine, showing zero signs of accelerated wear. If anything, it's showing significantly less wear than I would expect to see. I've also never seen bits of rubber on the floor near the roller, which I often see others mention. I run my tire at 80psi and about 2.5 turns on the dial (after the roller makes contact with the tire), which seems to be just enough pressure to prevent slipping. I also always release the roller when I'm done riding.

When I first got my Kickr Snap in Sept-Oct 2020, I had intended to buy a dedicated trainer tire for it, but never got around to it. I just rode this 28mm GP 5000 all winter on it and it was fine. I have another bike I primarily ride outside, so this tire only saw a few outdoor rides over the summer, less than 200 miles, but it's back indoors on the trainer again and so far looks the same. At some point I'll swap the front and rear, but now the idea of buying a dedicated trainer tire to save wear seems crazy to me.

I took this photo of the tire back in September when having this discussion in another thread. It's probably around 2000 trainer miles in at this point, plus maybe 1000 outdoor miles prior to that. Since this photo I've added another 300-400 trainer miles. It looks the same and I'll be surprised if I don't get at least another 1000 out of it:

Old 12-14-21, 11:50 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I've also been using a carbon wheel on my Kickr Snap. It's totally fine. It's a relatively cheap/generic Chinese carbon wheel, but that said I don't really understand why people buy a dedicated trainer wheel.
Old 12-14-21, 12:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wouldn't buy a new wheel (or tire for that matter) just for the trainer, but if you've begun to accumulate wheels and old tires, it's a no-brainer to have a road wheel and a trainer wheel. Makes swapping out super quick and easy. I realize this probably isn't an option if you're just starting out.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-15-21, 12:25 AM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Trainer tires are sold for a reason. And those tires are terrible on outside roads for a reason.
Different compounds for different riding.

Use an old slick tire and vacuum up all the bits of rubber that rub off. Or use a trainer tire. Either is better than a gravel tire.
Thanks . Still haven't gotten around to configuring this thing, keep on putting it off. Sometimes I think I'll still sneak through the winter without needing it, but snow and ice will win. Probably easier to buy a used dedicated bike and permanently hitch it. The thought of putting my Giant Tough Road on a bike trainer is sobering.
Old 12-15-21, 12:59 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
I think it depends on how you're using the trainer, and how much pressure you're putting on the tire. Over the years, I've moved a fair amount and trainers are heavy so I usually sell when we move and buy used when we arrive. That means that I've had a lot of different types of trainers: wind trainers, magnetic, fluid, rollers, and electronic ergometers. I've noticed that some trainers wear out tires quite a bit faster than others. Rollers had the least wear; trainers where I had to increase the roller pressure seemed to have the most. I had to increase the roller pressure to prevent slippage when I would do indoor sprints, and I could ruin a nice tire in 2 months, so I switched to using a trainer-specific tire. This winter I'm using a cheap almost 20-year-old magnetic trainer that isn't rated for anything sprint-like, so I've just been doing recovery and tempo with the occasional VO2Max interval. I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much wear on the regular rear road tire. My current hypothesis is that if I'm riding at relatively "easy" levels, I don't have to tighten up the roller insanely, and the tire will stay relatively whole.