Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Outboard Bottom Bracket Bearings ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-23, 11:02 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts

Is there anything special that I should know about replacing the bearings? Are they all the same size?

TIA
Charlie
Old 03-19-23, 11:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Can you not just replace with kind that you already have in hand. Or are you converting from a internal bearing BB design (and thus also are replacing the crank arms)? So little information given means my questions are many.

Many external bearing/cup designs are not made to replace the bearing separate of the cup. They are made to be easily fabricated and sold. At one time Phil Wood offered a tool and bearing for the early versions of the Shimano external bearing BBs. I don't know if this is still offered. And depending on the external BB design (brand and family of spec) the bearings can be quite different from another brand. The usual way to install new bearings with these BBs is to replace the cup/bearing unit, generally just called the BB. Andy
Old 03-19-23, 10:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
[edit: I think the first question is what make and model of crankset do you have? It will clarify what you're actually looking for and if it's feasible. In spite of that, I'll leave my response below in case it helps]

I'm wondering if you're talking about the whole external cup bearing unit, not the balls or sealed bearing unit inside of it? If so, just buy a new BB of the type of bottom bracket that your crank calls for. Examples: Shimano Hollowtech type, Sram GXP or DUB type, FSA MegaExo, etc. Those bottom brackets come with bearings installed in the external cups like Andrew R Stewart explained.

On the other hand, my oldish Campy ?power torque ?ultra torque (It's been a while I can't remember which one), does have drive side bearings which are set on the crank spindle, and the external cup is separate, so you can actually replace the bearings themselves. IIRC, the non-drive side is like the above, with the bearing pre-set in the external cup. Disclaimer, I've only dealt with that BB once and it's been many years. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering the drive side situation correctly (I had to replace that sealed bearing), but not sure if the non-drive side cup has replaceable bearings or not.

Regardless, the crankset tells you which BB you need and you can find those BBs or replacement sealed bearings from the crankset company or from other sellers that sell the same type that will work - one example, Wheels Manufacturing.

PS: Steel Charlie Nice to see another Sannino!

Last edited by Camilo; 03-19-23 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 11:00 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
have you Found replacement sealed ball bearings in the correct size? i looked around for a half hour this time, and once before...
what did the threaded aluminum Housings look like after you got the bearing assemblies out?
did you extract the plastic bore /seal parts without damaging them?
was the price per bearing, x 2 + shipping, lower than the 20 to 30 dollars per new, pre-lubed, BB assy?
did you make an installer tool then press fit them into a heated housing, or just smack them into the heated housings?
were the aluminum threads damaged by your failed attempts to install the new bearings, or did you get lucky?
what grade LocTite did you use and did you thoroughly clean the threads before applying the LocTite??

i'm all about finding bargains in my co-op shop.. i couldn't find those bearings anywhere, including from the largest bearing wholesaler in Portland. (Gxp or Hollowtech)
Let everyone know if you do find them, ok? And update us on what kinds of hoops you jumped through to rebuild a part described as non-rebuildable by most manufacturers.

the bearings are not "all the same size",.and are a special grind to achieve the correct tolerances when installed and lightly side loaded.
What MODEL BB assy are you wanting to rebuild? there are Several different styles/manufacturers.......

buy the new BB assy that will fit your crankset.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-19-23 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 07:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Assuming we are indeed discussing HTII type external cup bottom brackets. Enduro sells both replacement bearings and the tools needed to press out the old cartridges and press in their "superior" replacement bearings. Both the bearings themselves and the tools are quite expensive and, given the longevity of Shimano's HTII bottom brackets, very hard to justify.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-20-23, 08:29 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Assuming we are indeed discussing HTII type external cup bottom brackets. Enduro sells both replacement bearings and the tools needed to press out the old cartridges and press in their "superior" replacement bearings. Both the bearings themselves and the tools are quite expensive and, given the longevity of Shimano's HTII bottom brackets, very hard to justify.
easily justified when using a socket & threaded rod to remove & install.$38. vs $30. is a nobrainer. have changed several as the shimano seals allow lube out the back & grit into the outside.enduro seals do not.

note the number of seals;
Old 03-21-23, 08:49 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
OK, so not all the same. Thanks