Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Survey, indirectly for Caltrans

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 07:23 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts

Because Caltrans doesn't now what good bike infrastructure looks like? Some of it's kind of hilarious; do I prefer chunky pavement or smooth? Wide shoulder or narrow? Anyway, it should take 15-20 min.
https://berkeley.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...5J7YL8NxLbGrLE
Old 03-18-23, 09:59 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Video clips aren’t working from my iPad, I’ll log into it from the laptop later.

Laptop worked, done.

Last edited by Leinster; 03-18-23 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 12:19 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Survey completed. My answers reflect my dislike for anything solid (curbs, parked cars, bollards) between me/a bike path and the main part of the roadway. We some paths in Berkeley between parked cars and the sidewalk, some with the path between hard curbs and the roadway, and some with the path between bollards and the main roadway. I dislike them all. When there is debris/broken glass, or a big puddle, or an idiot blocking the path with their car - and I've seen all of these scenarios - I have nowhere to go. I'm locked in. I want to have room to maneuver in case of blockage, and I don't like being forced into a narrow tunnel funneled into the aforementioned obstacles.

I suspect I am in the minority her in the Democratic People's Republic, and my views probably reflect roughly 50 years of cycling experience. That's a lot of time to get used to the idea of cars passing me not far away. Now get off my lawn.

I will say that the 3-foot passing law has had a very noticeable effect in these parts - people are far more likely to give plenty of room and to not pass when there is traffic approaching from the other way. A lot of people also no longer try to pass on blind corners and instead wait until they can see the coast is clear or I have signaled them that it is safe.
Old 03-19-23, 06:14 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I did the survey, some comments. I always prefered the routes with some kind of physical separation between traffic and bike lane. Those plastic poles are just an invitation for cars to cut through and even park on the bike path.

But really, none of those routes would be my preferred. I would rather cut through residential streets not do anything with that heavy traffic.

And furthermore riding along a flat straight street is not what needs improving. It’s the intersections, stupid.

Regarding the rewards, gift cards are a complete rip off. If you consider that the store makes a profit off the card then what’s it really worth? Very little. Why should I enrich Amazon anyway? There are ways to give cash, why not do just do that? I mean for every participant, these odds are terrible.

Also I agree that the three foot rule has improved things.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 03-19-23 at 06:17 PM.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-20-23, 08:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
I will always opt for a physically sheltered bike lane (curb, bollard)
secondly, I’ll opt for a marked bike lane.
Third, I’ll opt for a marked bike route (bike may use entire lane)

3’ law… too many don’t obey this.
As for the new California 1/1/2023 law, If dual carriageway, cyclist to be given entire lane if other lane is empty. NOBODY knows this law exists!
People still whip by within 3’, let along giving me the entire lane.

I particularly liked the question “Do you consider cycling a high risk activity”, I’d reply….. is a helmet recommended ….Duh… Yes it’s risky.

Barry
Old 03-21-23, 01:08 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Does this apply to other parts of California besides the Bay area and surrounding jurisdictions? Its not clearly stated on the introduction page (more of a disclaimer than anything else) so it makes me question their methodology before I even answer any questions. It makes no mention of SoCal, but Caltrans is Caltrans and it could apply statewide.
Old 03-21-23, 01:08 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Deleted a duplicate post .
Old 03-21-23, 02:25 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Does this apply to other parts of California besides the Bay area and surrounding jurisdictions?.
The questions are not location specific. They are mostly animated scenes of riding along on different types of bike paths. Then being passed by different vehicles. It’s not very realistic, for example there are no intersections and the road is straight and flat. If you’ve got time to waste then take it.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-21-23, 03:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I took it and signed up to do the follow up VR portion in Berkeley. I've been a bike commuter since I was an undergrad there in the 80s. I think I'll bring my bike and ride up Durant Ave just like old times. Of course, to really simulate the experience, I'll need a 30 lb Schwinn, a backpack full of books, and a double cap from Caffe Strada in one hand.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-21-23, 06:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I particularly liked the question “Do you consider cycling a high risk activity”, I’d reply….. is a helmet recommended ….Duh… Yes it’s risky.
Bike riding isn't risky, cars are risky.
Old 03-21-23, 07:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Bike riding isn't risky, cars are risky.
Then why doesn’t the Car wear the helmet ?

Barry
Old 04-02-23, 03:20 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In 1973 I worked as a consultant to the then California Division of Highways and with a partner we created an internal structure for having bicycle route planners in each district. We also produced the first map for bicyclists showing the routing from the Oregon border to the Mexican border. We had 10,000 copies and the highway engineers thought that was a 10 year supply but they were snapped up in the first month of their release.

It is not that highway engineers do not understand about the needs of bicyclists it is that they do not care. When I worked for the Division of Highways at their main office building the bicycle people were in the basement along with "Value Engineering", the people working on making freeways safer for motorists. Automobile parking takes priority over bicycle road access in every city in the United States. More than 50% of the land area of an American city is 100% devoted to the automobile.
Likes For Calsun: