Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Renegade S3, undersize, or oversize?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do I get the 51, or the 54?
Gotta be able to comfortably touch the ground, the 51.
37.50%
Gotta be comfy riding, get the 54.
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Renegade S3, undersize, or oversize?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 10:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by irreverentskier
Maybe I misunderstood... I thought you were suggesting that the 2x should be nixed so folks could have 1x without getting the most expensive version... If that's not the case then I probably agree with you. I think ideally, Jamis would offer it as a frameset so people can build what they want.
Oh. I said that Jamis only offering 1x in the nicer steel is disappointing.

As for the frameset, Jamis has offered the Renegade steel frame as a standalone option for years. It's come in flat black with 631 tubes.
I came incredibly close to buying one in summer of '19, but bought a Fairlight Secan frame instead because availability in my size had a shorter wait time.
The Jamis geometry was spot on for what I wanted and the value was great- I think it was $900 at the time.
Old 03-22-23, 05:53 PM
irreverentskier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh. I said that Jamis only offering 1x in the nicer steel is disappointing.

As for the frameset, Jamis has offered the Renegade steel frame as a standalone option for years. It's come in flat black with 631 tubes.
I came incredibly close to buying one in summer of '19, but bought a Fairlight Secan frame instead because availability in my size had a shorter wait time.
The Jamis geometry was spot on for what I wanted and the value was great- I think it was $900 at the time.
I don't think they are still selling the frameset. Looks like maybe they have a few leftover 56cm ones from the prior year. I'll ask the bike shop though, I'm glad you mentioned, thanks.
Old 03-22-23, 06:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could tell a difference in the 631 vs 520 frames. In theory 631 would be lighter but a gravel bike will be heavy regardless.
Old 03-22-23, 06:05 PM
irreverentskier

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd be surprised if you could tell a difference in the 631 vs 520 frames. In theory it would be lighter but a gravel bike will be heavy regardless.
I agree, it'd be fun to build one, and if a frameset is in stock it could be easier to get than a complete bike, but I think I'd be pretty happy with how the S3 comes stock. I'm not too worried about what brand of tubing it is.
Likes For irreverentskier:
Old 03-22-23, 08:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I have no idea what butting profiles Jamis uses for their 631 and 520 frames, so tube weight is an unknown. In theory, the 631 frame should be lighter.
Beyond weight though is frame strength. 631 is air hardening so the joints are stronger after welding compared to 520.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-25-23, 03:36 PM
irreverentskier

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So, I went with the 54.

Blue Line Bike Lab actually called (they are great if anyone's in Houston). They had gotten a 51cm S3, so they had both... a 51 (Renegade S3) and a 54 (Renegade S4) in stock. I could have been fine with either of them, but the 54 was considerably more comfortable/stable felt like a smoother ride, etc... just all around a very nice bike. Getting off the seat at a stop sort of happened pretty naturally on both the 51 and the 54, and I was able to stand over the 54, so it wasn't such a big deal. Everyone's comments were helping to me in thinking about what mattered about fit and feel in the bike, so thanks again.

Unfortunately, the 54 isn't in stock in the S3 (Jamis doesn't even have one they can ship); Blue Line said it would be in around the end of April. I guess I'm riding wife's Dr. Dew in the meantime. I wish I still had my Kona Explosif. I figured the month-long wait would be worth it though, I probably don't buy a new bike but every few years.

Wife is 5'4" with just about exactly the same leg length/PBH as me (within a couple millimeters), and she found the 51 much more comfortable (but she didn't want N+2, so she said she's keeping her Dr. Dew for now but that Jamis might be her next bike).
Likes For irreverentskier:
Old 05-05-23, 04:21 PM
grcolts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Renegade Size

I am late to this discussion and you might have already purchased your Jamis Renegade but if not here is my 2 cents.
I am right at 5"7" and this past spring I purchased a 51cm Renegade A1 and it fits perfectly. A 54cm I think would have most likely stretched me out too far on the bike. I have ridden many miles on mine now including paved roads, gravel roads and hard trail and am happy I got the 51cm over the 54cm. Your case might be different but the smaller frame works for me.
Likes For grcolts:
Old 05-06-23, 05:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
So, I went with the 54.

Blue Line Bike Lab actually called (they are great if anyone's in Houston). They had gotten a 51cm S3, so they had both... a 51 (Renegade S3) and a 54 (Renegade S4) in stock. I could have been fine with either of them, but the 54 was considerably more comfortable/stable felt like a smoother ride, etc... just all around a very nice bike. Getting off the seat at a stop sort of happened pretty naturally on both the 51 and the 54, and I was able to stand over the 54, so it wasn't such a big deal. Everyone's comments were helping to me in thinking about what mattered about fit and feel in the bike, so thanks again.

Unfortunately, the 54 isn't in stock in the S3 (Jamis doesn't even have one they can ship); Blue Line said it would be in around the end of April. I guess I'm riding wife's Dr. Dew in the meantime. I wish I still had my Kona Explosif. I figured the month-long wait would be worth it though, I probably don't buy a new bike but every few years.

Wife is 5'4" with just about exactly the same leg length/PBH as me (within a couple millimeters), and she found the 51 much more comfortable (but she didn't want N+2, so she said she's keeping her Dr. Dew for now but that Jamis might be her next bike).
I think you made a good choice. Sometimes, you have to go with your gut. A test ride is priceless. As long as you can dismount the bike without neutering yourself, you're golden in that respect.

If you are truly in between sizes, then your choice may depend on how aggressive or upright a position you like. If you like being more upright, the larger frame would work better. If you like an aggressive race position, a smaller frame might work better.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 05-06-23, 09:35 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
So, I went with the 54.

Just wanted to comment. I think you've made a great decision. What's most important in cycling is that you're comfortable on your bike. Glad you've found a bike that fits you well.

Just FWIW, I'm 5'5" with 29" in-seam. Judding from the geometry chart of the Renegade, I would choose 51, which IMO is aligned with your having chosen 54.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard: