Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

external power bank for sport cam

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

external power bank for sport cam

Old 01-05-23, 01:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
a little reminder, maybe just to myself? if any rain is expected, take precautions, or use the small interior batteries

I went out last night & got a little wet, but just a little. didn't hear, or smell, any frying electronics
Old 01-05-23, 02:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
a little reminder, maybe just to myself? if any rain is expected, take precautions, or use the small interior batteries

I went out last night & got a little wet, but just a little. didn't hear, or smell, any frying electronics
Your camera isn't in its waterproof casing? Just put your battery pack inside a plastic bag.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-05-23, 06:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Your camera isn't in its waterproof casing? Just put your battery pack inside a plastic bag.
the camera is waterproof w/o a casing. I'll just use the little batteries if there's active wetness like that again. I don't usually ride in the rain. sometimes wet snow, but even riding in an active wet snow storm is very rare. I can probably just tape around the connections at the camera & battery to avoid some miscellaneous drops getting in for an hour. my wet rides are pretty short. also gonna rethink batteries in my jacket pocket
Old 01-06-23, 01:58 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
But since late 2019 I've been using a pair of Drift Ghost X video cameras that came with 5 hour battery modules that lasted a true five hours per charge for the first year, and a little less the next year. I just replaced one battery module that finally wouldn't hold a charge, with Drift's newer 8 hour battery modules. These snap into the camera body and are weather sealed, no optional weather housing needed so far for the rainy rides I've encountered. No need for a backup battery for most long rides.

I highly recommend the Drift cameras for basic ride documentation for traffic safety and legal purposes. Beats messing with external battery packs for most other popular bike cams -- GoPro, Cycliq, etc. (In fact, the attorney who represented me after I was hit by a car a few years ago had the Cycliq and was disappointed in the runtime and reliability. I recommended the Drift cams.)
Thanks for this - I went looking on ebay after reading your post a few weeks ago and was able to pick up a used Drift for $31 including shipping. Haven't fully tested the battery life yet but it seems to be quite good, with decent video quality. Still figuring out how best to mount it.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-06-23, 09:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Thanks for this - I went looking on ebay after reading your post a few weeks ago and was able to pick up a used Drift for $31 including shipping. Haven't fully tested the battery life yet but it seems to be quite good, with decent video quality. Still figuring out how best to mount it.
Easiest way I've found to mount the Drift Ghost X to my bike helmets, using the supplied mounting shoes, is to ignore the excellent 3M tape and instead use Blue-Tak or equivalent Scotch brand adhesive putty. The shoe supplied by Drift is intended for motorcycle helmets, usually mounted on the side, and isn't at quite the right angle for typical bicycle helmets, which are smaller in circumference, with more arc and the 3M tape won't make even contact with the helmet.

Blu-Tack and Scotch detachable putty can be molded to any shape, holds securely, yet detaches without damage to most hard surfaces. I've used the stuff for at least 10 years on various projects, including outdoor mounting of wire antennas for my shortwave radio, to hold the wire against the brick exterior of my apartment complex. It held for months, much more securely than I'd expected.

I prefer to mount the camera on the top rear of my bicycle helmets for better balance. It puts the camera weight over my spine, so it causes less neck strain (I have pretty severe cervical spine stenosis, and I'm very picky about pressure on my head and neck).

To get the camera aimed where I'm looking, rather than down at the ground or up into the sky, I need to build up a wedge from the Blu-Tack or Scotch putty. I guesstimated it the first time, mounted the camera and did some test videos from my indoor trainer, while walking, and riding around the block. Usually it was very close and needed only minor tweaks in wedge shape and height to get the camera aimed where I wanted it.

On my hybrid with rear rack, I've used Blu-Tack putty to secure a Drift helmet mount for rear-facing camera. Works fine and would be a good solution for any bike with a rear rack -- which excludes all of my road bikes, unfortunately.

I also have a couple of Drift bar mounts but they're a bit crude and not practical for a rear facing camera. I've mounted the bar mounts on the seatpost or seat tube, etc., facing rearward, but the knobs for the thumb screws tend to scrape the insides of my thighs. So for now I'm not using a rear-facing camera. But those bar mounts work fine on the handlebar, stem or possibly some head tubes. I'd like to find a better solution but I suspect I'd need to have a clamp custom made by a 3D printer to suit my preferences. I'd prefer a flush mount Allen, Star or other bolt rather than the protruding thumb screws. And better quality detents for adjusting and holding the camera angle.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-07-23, 09:54 PM
rumrunn6

turns out the GoPro comes w/ a wire. nice black one. tried a different mounting spot for the power bank, which I still have not charged. could have mounted it further back I guess
Old 01-30-23, 09:05 AM
rumrunn6

assembling some components ...
got the off-brand door

bought a battery not realizing how big it was so I also got a smaller one

not sure where I'll be using the battery, relative to the camera placement, so got a cpl long wires & some short ones

short ones are fun looking
quick note to myself
those batteries are waaay bigger than necessary
didn't need any wires because the gopro comes with one, that is long enough, when both are helmet mounted
Old 02-16-23, 12:38 PM
rumrunn6

quick note to myself
for my purposes, may not need an external power source for the camera after all
3 internal batteries may be enough
might still carry one on epic long rides just in case, but for regular rides of 1-2 hrs, w/ only sporadic recording, even in cold weather, don't think I need it
Old 02-16-23, 10:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I carry 8 spare batteries with me for my two cameras. That's enough for an 8hr45min ride in good warm weather. Probably 7hr in cold weather. My SD cards have memory six hours.
Old 02-17-23, 07:00 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
the camera is waterproof w/o a casing.
Not once you install the battery cover with the opening for the external USB cable. Read the instructions with the cover. I use a similar setup, and believe me, it's NOT waterproof with that cover in place.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-17-23, 09:24 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Not once you install the battery cover with the opening for the external USB cable. Read the instructions with the cover. I use a similar setup, and believe me, it's NOT waterproof with that cover in place.
oh I know, that's why I wrote about avoiding the wet conditions & if wet use the internal battery. but I will have to admit being out with some light snow falling & thinking "bad plan". was wondering if I would short it out

it was pretty cool using the external power bank tho. glad I experimented w/ it