Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Does anyone commute with rear radar?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-18-22, 02:48 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts

Anyone with real world experience commuting with a rear radar setup? Garmin has a rear light+radar unit that pairs with compatible head units. There's also the Magene from AliExpress/Amazon. Seems like an interesting idea but how's the real-world utility?
Old 10-18-22, 07:35 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Garmin Varia

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Anyone with real world experience commuting with a rear radar setup? Garmin has a rear light+radar unit that pairs with compatible head units. There's also the Magene from AliExpress/Amazon. Seems like an interesting idea but how's the real-world utility?
I use the Garmin Varia setup with my Garmin Edge 520. System works great but battery life is only about 4 hours. The good news is the radar still works when I attach it to a small battery pack. Picks up cars about 130 yards back. I ride brevets on a recumbent bike and would never ride without it.
Likes For Bent4life:
Old 10-18-22, 09:09 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I also use a Garmin Varia with an Edge 830. By happy surprise we found it also works with a Garmin 735XT watch so when on a tandem both stoker (with the watch) and captain (with the Edge) can see the traffic notifications. The Varia picks up traffic further back than we can reliably see in the mirrors, and lets us know about multiple cars when we can only see the first car in the mirror. It's been a great help when trying to change lanes across 3 lanes of traffic to make a left turn. We had it on for 8 hours last weekend and it didn't run out of battery so maybe blink pattern makes a difference. I wonder if number of cars passing makes a difference in battery usage...we had 545 on that day.
Likes For dmwill:
Old 10-18-22, 10:29 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
yes works great really useful when you need to get in the left turn lane. I listen to the all clear then check my mirror. great in the fog we had today.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-18-22, 01:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It's on my Christmas wish list but I haven't been in a buy-things mode lately.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-18-22, 11:36 PM
tFUnK

Thanks for the insights. Seems like it's a practical and useful thing to have. My main hesitation is that I don't currently ride with a head unit, so the initial investment is a bit steep (not only financially, but also the researching/learning how to get the most of the system). I haven't used a head unit in over 10 years and for the last 6 or so I've just been using a Fitbit to log ride basics.
Old 10-19-22, 03:55 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
the garmin varia radar unit works great...if you're riding in the city, it helps when you want but you hafta disregard when inapplicable, personally find it more helpful
out in the boonies/on long downhills in the mtns but that's me. in the city, i'm under the assumption that there are multiple vehicles in my immediate neighborhood at all times
and ride accordingly.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-19-22, 12:19 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
... My main hesitation is that I don't currently ride with a head unit, so the initial investment is a bit steep ...
The Garmin RTL515 will send the information to your phone over Bluetooth. You could get a phone strap mount if you wanted to go for the least expensive option.

I ride on the road and commute with my RTL510 (older version without Bluetooth) and Edge 830, and will never go back to riding on the road without radar.
Old 10-19-22, 12:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
One thing I have definitely noticed in these threads about the radar units is that people who actually have tried it either like it, or want it further improved. The camera version did get some "what's the point of this" reactions.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-19-22, 01:06 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
One thing I have definitely noticed in these threads about the radar units is that people who actually have tried it either like it, or want it further improved. The camera version did get some "what's the point of this" reactions.
I personally think the simple cheap radar-only unit (RVR315) makes the most sense if you already have a taillight you like. Bonus is that they're not hard to find for around $100. Extra bonus is that several previous generation Garmin head units are available cheap right now as factory refurbs. Edge 1030 for $250, Edge 530 for $150 if you're a mountain biker who needs Trailforks maps or Edge Explore for $99 if you're just a cheapskate like me.
Old 10-19-22, 01:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I'm on my second one now. I try never to leave home without it, even if I am riding off-road.
Old 10-23-22, 09:28 PM
qnz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I will replace bikes, headunits, groupsets, wheels,... but will never replace the Garmin Varia unless they make a better one.
Likes For qnz:
Old 12-20-22, 04:00 PM
Chester

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
In case it's useful, looks like lowest price around on the radar-only RVR315 is actually at REI right now:

https://www.rei.com/product/182343/g...rearview-radar

Almost bought it but would rather pay more for the one with the integrated light.
Old 12-20-22, 09:07 PM
tFUnK

Thanks to those who weighed in on this thread, I have been using the Magene radar taillight with a Magene head unit. I find it a nice feature to have. It definitely detects vehicles a bit sooner than my ears can. I've had a couple of false negatives where the vehicle behind me is moving too slowly to be detected, and found that it also fails to detect motorcycles. I'm not one to constantly look at my head unit while riding and I wish there was an audible alert instead of just a visual one (the head unit is supposed to beep when a vehicle is detected but despite playing around with the settings, mine does not beep at all). But overall I am pleased with the functionally of the radar system.
Old 03-04-24, 09:34 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
To try one is to buy one.
As Essential as mirrors
This is the 21st century, bro.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 03-05-24, 07:47 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
How would that work in heavy traffic? A lot of my commuting is on a bike lane next to rush hour traffic.
Old 03-08-24, 12:22 AM
tFUnK

A year and some change later, I still ride with radar and I love it. Figured out the beep alerts, but my riding buddy doesn't like it so I leave it off most of the time. I only use it for recreational rides though, not for commuting or short errands. For short casual rides the head unit becomes just another extra thing to think about but I do take the radar light as that still detects cars and blinks rapidly whenever one approaches.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-20-24, 07:23 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 195 Posts
I don't see the point unless your deaf. I can even hear EVs tires coming up from behind me. Neither the radar, nor your ears are going to tell if the car is aiming for you to hit you, and even if it could, and a car is barreling down on you at 70 mph just where do you think you're going to go? If someone wants to hit you, they will one way or another, do you really think you're going to dodge it? Mirrors work a lot better for a lot less money, but the limitation is the same as the radar. I don't understand all this fear, I've been riding in traffic for over 40 years including big cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Detroit, even in rush hour traffic, never worried about being hit from behind or had to constantly look over my shoulder out of fear, if I'm going to be that paranoid to ride a bike I would quit riding! I'm sorry, but I don't have room in my life for fear.

The only time I need to look over my shoulder is to change lanes, and with practice you can look over your shoulder without veering one way or the other.

I even tried riding with a mirror for about a year, nah, never used it again after that.

Your best rear safety measure is to put a very bright 300 plus lumen strobing taillight back there. NiteRider has a 330 lumen tail light called the Omega 330, I have the older Omega 300 and that thing is intensely bright during the day. The 330 is on sale currently at NiteRider.

Speaking of NiteRider, they sell refurbished models of headlights, I bought a refurbished Lumina 1200, it's been a great light, refurbished is subject to availability, but right now they have the same 1200 model that I bought for just $50, normally they are $125, comes with a full warranty too. And those Lumina lights, when the battery no longer will take a charge, for around $30 you can send back and they will replace the battery, check out entire light, and reseal it, and send it back to you.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 03-21-24 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 11:13 AM
C.I.

Bikes: Old Japanese Road Bikes (C-Itoh; Kabuki) with some upgrade (Italian & Japanese parts)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Newer used any electronic equipment on my bike. Just concentrated on road surface & profile, keep your eyes and ears wide open, look quick over your left shoulder if feeling something unusual.
Likes For C.I.:
Old 03-23-24, 11:33 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't see the point unless your deaf. I can even hear EVs tires coming up from behind me ...
On many of the routes I take, the urban environment means that the specific sound of a car behind me can be fairly muddled-in with the rest of the noise. Particuarly anywhere near the nearby highways (which snake through and around many of the communities). I'm nowhere near deaf, but the sound's not always easy to pick out.

About the only way to enhance rearward awareness is to either have mirrors or radar or be regularly looking. In such situations, this sort of radar seems to fill a void that might otherwise leave a person fairly surprised and without options. (Have used mirrors. In my experience they work well enough, but they do take attention away from what's up ahead and they do require frequent checking. Whereas a radar would do the looking for the rider.)

I suspect that many people in similar urban areas have to contend with higher noise levels that'll drown out much of an approaching vehicle's noise.
Old 03-23-24, 06:37 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
On many of the routes I take, the urban environment means that the specific sound of a car behind me can be fairly muddled-in with the rest of the noise. Particuarly anywhere near the nearby highways (which snake through and around many of the communities). I'm nowhere near deaf, but the sound's not always easy to pick out.

About the only way to enhance rearward awareness is to either have mirrors or radar or be regularly looking. In such situations, this sort of radar seems to fill a void that might otherwise leave a person fairly surprised and without options. (Have used mirrors. In my experience they work well enough, but they do take attention away from what's up ahead and they do require frequent checking. Whereas a radar would do the looking for the rider.)

I suspect that many people in similar urban areas have to contend with higher noise levels that'll drown out much of an approaching vehicle's noise.
I'm sorry, but I have to politely disagree, I've been riding on city streets for over 45 years in places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Detroit and Chicago, just to name a few, and never wish I had a mirror or a radar. People have been riding for years without either, like I said before, if someone is going to hit you that radar isn't going to help the least bit, they are going to hit you. I just don't think it's necessary to have that stuff; but you do you, and I'll do me.
Old 03-24-24, 06:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I'm in between @rekmeyata's point of view and those who use every feature of every gadget. So I'd like to know what a radar can offer me. I use a rear view mirror and other gadgetry, and I listen and look well. I've been riding on streets for 49 years. A radar will tell me that a vehicle is behind me, but how will it enhance what I already have? When there's nothing but traffic as far as the eye can see, I already know there are cars coming at me from every direction. What new information will it give me?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-24, 07:49 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm in between @rekmeyata's point of view and those who use every feature of every gadget. So I'd like to know what a radar can offer me. I use a rear view mirror and other gadgetry, and I listen and look well. I've been riding on streets for 49 years. A radar will tell me that a vehicle is behind me, but how will it enhance what I already have? When there's nothing but traffic as far as the eye can see, I already know there are cars coming at me from every direction. What new information will it give me?
That's what I've been trying to tell you, it won't give you any more information, it isn't going to tell you that a car is on a collision course to hit you.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 03-26-24, 01:41 PM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That's what I've been trying to tell you, it won't give you any more information, it isn't going to tell you that a car is on a collision course to hit you.
It definitely gives you additional information - it detects vehicles earlier than I can hear, and I only need to look down or get an audible alert from my head unit. But in general, in urban environments, I agree on that I've also ridden for decades without radar or mirrors and got along just fine. Also agree that the primary use would be to make a left turn and it's easier to look at the indicator on the head unit than it is to turn my head. The secondary use is to just not be surprised by anyone. But, to each their own.