Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Going tubeless with a new oddball sealant.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-15-23, 04:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts

One thing that has stopped me going tubeless is I did not want to deal with charging out the sealant. I know I would lose track nd end up with a dry wheel.
People wit their fat tire e bikes have been using flatout on the lower psi tires and it works well. I tired it in my tubed tires at 70psi and its ever really worked. Now on my 50 pis fatter tires it has plugged several leak and after about 3000 miles the tubes stopped leaking air.
Flat out came out with a thinner formula for smaller bike tires and I bought some. But before I could use it I decanted to try tubeless on out tandem. The marathon tires were such a harsh ride my wife needed something better. So I bought tubeless ready tires and tape and valves and I figured I would try the new flatout in them. Mainly because it doesn't to dry out. It can last in a regular tire for 10 years. But hey I would take a couple of year or less when I wear the tire out.
So I did the back first I only wanted to try one tire at a time. I used a Stans valve and aI really tightened it down clean everything with alcohol. The wheel leaked after I set the bead then I added about 6 oz of the flatout and swirled it around and all the leaked around the bead sealed up. After a couple of rides the tire did not lose any air. It's been about 3 weeks now and I hav not had to pump u the tire. So I bought another tire and did the front using a mucoff valve and it lost air several times till I tighten the valve enough and now it does not lose air either.
So several hundred miles and so far no issues. It's supposed to plug unto 1/4" holes but I bet that depends a lot o the PSI. I was at 70 but went down to 65. I am changing over my commuter to tubeless this week using it too.
If anyone want to try some especially at higher PSI I would be willing to send some to you as I have a gallon
https://shop.flatouttire.com/collect...mall-tire-32oz
Old 01-15-23, 09:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Is this Flat Out also added via a tubeless valve? How about the aerosol can version in the link in your OP?
Old 01-15-23, 09:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

one of my complaints about it is the tube is made for a schrader valve and does not fit tight on the presta and can make a little bit of a mess. its worse with a tube then tubeless. the first one I used the valve and wrapped it with some masking tape to make a tight fit. but the second time before I got the last of the tire on I just stuck the hose into the gap and put it in that way much easier. I do not think they have aerosol like fix a flat. the thinner version that I used is new and I had to order it directly from them. So bought a gallon as 1/2 gallon would be the same cost and Igot free shipping the gallon comes with a pump.
Old 01-16-23, 01:42 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
The recommendation is 8 ounces per tire?

Products By FlatOut | Tire Sealant & Additives | Shop Now (flatouttire.com)

That seems to be a lot.
Old 01-16-23, 03:57 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
I like tubeless on my mountain bike but I didn't really want to go the hassle of changing over on my road bike, so I've been trying out Muc-Off inner tube sealant. I wondered if I would know if it had worked, but the answer is definitely yes. I came to use my bike last week and the front tyre was flat. So I thought I'd pump it up to the usual 80 psi and go out for a ride. When I came back it was still hard but the next day it was down to 20. Not really having time to fix it I just pumped it up again, and the next day it was down to 40. Interesting, I though, and pumped it up again, and since then it's been holding pressure just fine. It's supposed to last the life of the inner tube since it doesn't cure in air. Fortunately I have Schwalbe and Impac inner tubes with removable valve cores, so I've just injected it with the Stan's injector. You have to put rather more in than you would with Stan's - about 3oz. I'm reasonably impressed.
Old 01-16-23, 05:09 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

That seems to be a lot.
If their claim is 10 years without drying out, this large (2-3x what is required with other brands) quantity may be why? The quickstrike also uses ethylene glycol which can be deadly if ingested (kidney failure due to stone formation).

Last edited by BikeLite; 01-16-23 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-16-23, 08:52 AM
fooferdoggie 

That seems to be a lot.
ya its high I wonder if you need that much for tubeless?
Old 01-16-23, 08:53 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I like tubeless on my mountain bike but I didn't really want to go the hassle of changing over on my road bike, so I've been trying out Muc-Off inner tube sealant. I wondered if I would know if it had worked, but the answer is definitely yes. I came to use my bike last week and the front tyre was flat. So I thought I'd pump it up to the usual 80 psi and go out for a ride. When I came back it was still hard but the next day it was down to 20. Not really having time to fix it I just pumped it up again, and the next day it was down to 40. Interesting, I thought, and pumped it up again, and since then it's been holding pressure just fine. It's supposed to last the life of the inner tube since it doesn't cure in air. Fortunately I have Schwalbe and Impac inner tubes with removable valve cores, so I've just injected it with the Stan's injector. You have to put rather more in than you would with Stan's - about 3oz. I'm reasonably impressed.
I had the Muc-off in my tandem but I never got a flat to test it.
Old 01-16-23, 12:16 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
one of my complaints about it is the tube is made for a schrader valve and does not fit tight on the presta and can make a little bit of a mess.
Surely everyone using Presta valves has a Schrader adaptor in their seat pack (or you can just leave it screwed to the valve) so they can use gas station air lines?
Old 01-16-23, 12:23 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by grumpus
Surely everyone using Presta valves has a Schrader adaptor in their seat pack (or you can just leave it screwed to the valve) so they can use gas station air lines?
ya that will work no clue why I did not do that. just did not cross my mind.I was trying to find my sealant syringe and could not.
Old 01-16-23, 12:34 PM
grumpus

ya that will work no clue why I did not do that. just did not cross my mind.I was trying to find my sealant syringe and could not.
I've tried all sorts of bodges because it was too much hassle finding the right tool.
Old 01-16-23, 12:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts

That seems to be a lot.
ya its high I wonder if you need that much for tubeless?
That's apparently for a tire up to 3.5" wide, so I bet you could go quite a bit less with a tire that's about half that width.
Old 01-16-23, 01:17 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
It's supposed to plug unto ("up to") 1/4" holes...
Isn't that bigger than the diameter of the valve stem?
Old 01-16-23, 01:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by sweeks
it has fibers in it. fibers that can plug up valve stems too. the regular stuff can do upto 1/2" holes it has some long fibers in it its super thick. I tried it in a tube at 70 psi and it would not seal. it worked at 50 pis in other tires. it also sealed the tube so it does not need air but it took over 3000 miles to manage that.
Old 01-16-23, 01:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

here is the thickness of the new stuff.
Old 01-16-23, 02:17 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by sweeks
I think the claim is that it will seal a quarter inch slit, not a round hole. But yes, sealant can cause problems with valve clogging; just carry spare valve cores and a tool for them.
Old 01-16-23, 02:26 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts

That seems to be a lot.
Yeah, that's a bunch. And there's a downside to that many may not consider.

Dunno how much this stuff weighs, so let's assume it's the same density as water.

Water weighs 3.78kg per gallon (8.34 lb). 8 fluid ounces is 1/16 of a gallon.

When you add that much of the stuff, you're adding over 236 grams (or over 1/2 pound) per tire. And it's all rotating mass in the worst possible place - e.g., very nearly the outer part of the tire.

I'm not overly concerned about weight. But even to me, that seems like quite a lot.

I think I'll stick with my 125g or so butyl rubber inner tubes and use puncture-resistant tires, thanks.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 01-16-23, 04:11 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I think the claim is that it will seal a quarter inch slit, not a round hole. But yes, sealant can cause problems with valve clogging; just carry spare valve cores and a tool for them.
I sort of figured that, but my inner pedant went crazy. Fortunately for me, I'm firmly in the "tube" camp, so it's academic.
Old 01-16-23, 05:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
nope, I carry my own pump (and co2, and patch kit and spare tires) don't trust gas station pumps, having blown up more than a few tires in my youth

and of course i can't resist: Don't call me surely
now get of my l lawn

Old 01-17-23, 10:01 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by squirtdad
nope, I carry my own pump (and co2, and patch kit and spare tires
Well yes, I carry pump and CO2 and spare tubes and patches. And a Presta Schrader adaptor.
don't trust gas station pumps, having blown up more than a few tires in my youth;,
Really? Blown up, not simply blown off through overenthusiastic inflation when they weren't properly seated?
and of course i can't resist: Don't call me surely'
"Don't call me Shirley" surely?
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-17-23, 11:31 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Well no. I just use my pump, as I have done for decades. Gas station air lines are often not working, don't go to the desired pressure, cost money, and I have to wonder why you find out that you need air when you're at the gas station and not when you are ready to ride or have a flat when riding. I can't imagine being dependent on gas stations to keep my bike tires at the proper pressure.
Old 01-17-23, 02:46 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Well no. I just use my pump, as I have done for decades. Gas station air lines are often not working, don't go to the desired pressure, cost money, and I have to wonder why you find out that you need air when you're at the gas station and not when you are ready to ride or have a flat when riding. I can't imagine being dependent on gas stations to keep my bike tires at the proper pressure.
Indeed - I have a compressor at home (and one in the car) and CO2 for punctures so I've got a bit lazy about pumps but I usually have one in my pannier. The last time I needed air while I was out I did actually use a gas station, it was the most convenient option.
Old 03-06-23, 01:20 PM
JamesInSJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the "new" stuff is the small tire Quickstrike product? Wish Amazon carried it, but looks like they only have the original products. I'm willing to give it a go but fairly pricey shipped only from Flatout as near as I can find it.

I ride road tubeless for about 6-7 years now. I started with Orange Seal and it turned to goo in just a few months. Too much maintenance effort. I then tried Slime Pro (no longer made) 1.5oz and it lasted two years for the life of my tires with maybe a 1oz topoff once... 3500 miles (Hutchinson Intensive 2 tires...lasted forever but a firm tire). Still had plenty of liquid in there to soak up, maybe not much fiber or bonding agents to actually seal a hole, but I never had anything it didn't seal. I then ran GP5000 tubeless tires with it, no problem there either. Might go try some of the Slime blue-label, which seems like the current closest product to what the Slime Pro was.

More recently, new bike and wheels, running 25mm internal wide hookless carbon wheels with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE, using Oko Magic Milk high fibre. Really haven't been impressed with it. Dries out quickly, never seems like I've ever gotten the tires to seal with it. Not sure whether to blame tire+rim combo, but too often I think I'm losing 10-20psi just on a 3 hour bike ride (from ~65psi starting point). Blame the tires? Blame the hookless format? Or blame the sealant? I'm ready to blame the sealant first until I wear out these tires and go back to GP5000S TR that I already have sitting here for when the Schwalbe tires wear out.
Old 03-06-23, 02:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by JamesInSJ
So the "new" stuff is the small tire Quickstrike product? Wish Amazon carried it, but looks like they only have the original products. I'm willing to give it a go but fairly pricey shipped only from Flatout as near as I can find it.
ya I had to order it from them. so far n flats at all. the first wheel I did I had to take the tire off as a spoke cracked and it has only lost air a bit a couple of times in the last couple of months. but there was some in the tire but not as much as I expected. the inside of the tire was wet but no puddle really or not much of one.
Old 03-06-23, 10:13 PM
fooferdoggie 

got my first puncture on the way hole and the flat out sealed it well did not even lose enough air to need to add more. thats so much better then I got with tubes and various sealants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.