Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Old 03-20-23, 07:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Clouds. So many clouds. So little time.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-20-23, 07:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
How can you say that ?....when large majority of cyclists on this forum and out in the real world don't use any online calculators and never seem to have any serious issues related to tire pressure.
Well I could set my tyre pressures randomly and probably not have any “serious” issues, but why not take advantage of the info? It takes about 10 seconds to use a pressure calculator and then you have a good starting point to work from. I found it most useful when I went to wider tyres and rims last year. Saved a load of guesswork, trial and error.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-20-23, 07:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So I take it you set your car tyre pressures to the recommended settings, but you think that would be overkill or too complicated for bicycle tyres.
You don't need to be as exact with bicycle tire pressures as you are with your vehicle tire pressures. A bicycle tire can be easily checked by squeezing it with your fingers or even sitting on your bicycle, can't do the same to a vehicle tire...or just use a pressure gauge and go by the recommended pressure that is written on the sidewall of your bicycle tires, no need for any online calculators....I've run my bike tires between 15-20 PSI during winter without any negative effects, I couldn't do the same on my pick-up truck because it would be a safety risk.
Old 03-20-23, 07:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Well I could set my tyre pressures randomly and probably not have any “serious” issues, but why not take advantage of the info? It takes about 10 seconds to use a pressure calculator and then you have a good starting point to work from.
I just look at my sidewall. Takes even less than 10 seconds.
Old 03-20-23, 07:41 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smd4
I just look at my sidewall. Takes even less than 10 seconds.
Fine if you want to run max pressure regardless of your weight.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-20-23, 07:43 PM
PeteHski

We functioned and inflated our bicycle tires using our common sense, but today the world we living in online calculators replaced the good old fashioned common sense.
We once lived in caves without running water and electricity.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-20-23, 07:44 PM
smd4

Fine if you want to run max pressure regardless of your weight.
What have I been saying this whole time?
Old 03-20-23, 09:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
I was thinking of my car tires LMFAO! The highest PSI for a road bike is 130-160 ……….. there are no 200 PSI as of yet that I’m aware of on the market.
I gotta go read labels on my current tubulars. I forget which one has the 115-200 psi but it's there. I think it's the Vittoria G+ 28c but it might be a Veloflex. In any case, a very high quality tire and that label means they are standing behind the casing, stitching and details being that good. Tires of the same quality but far smaller, like 20c or less are used on the velodrome at well over 160 and have been forever. (They blow out like a pistol shot.)

And the great thing about tubulars at those pressures is there is no rim sidewall to blow out. The rims simply don't care. 400 psi would work just fine as far as they are concerned.
Old 03-20-23, 09:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
I feel sorry for any new sport cyclist who may stumble upon this bike forum in general seeking an answer to any particular question. Any reasonable contemporary response gets drowned out by the same characters who are living out of a 1975 Bicycling Magazine. Riding around on tubulars at 140 psi or just pump to the sidewall max rating is just not done by any informed cyclist who is following current best practice. It’s been long proven that those high pressures are slower and exponentially more uncomfortable yet the myth persists and promoted by a vocal few. High pressure leads to less flats is another fallacy long disproven. By the way if flats are the problem just go tubeless and ride in comfort but that would start that cloud yelling extravaganza all over again.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 03-20-23 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-21-23, 01:03 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
This thread is hilarious, hard to tell if people are just trolling.

Setting pressures to the max on the label - sure you can ride the thing and not get a pinch flat, but is it optimal?

Doing it by feel - what's the limit of one's perception? Can you tell a 10psi difference by pinching? A 10psi difference can be the difference between pinch flatting and not, or the difference between a supple ride or a harsh ride.

Use one of the several dozen calculators out there that does most of the work for you (factoring in your weight, tire size, riding situation) and fine tune from there. Or don't 🤷‍♂️

Traditional wisdom suggests to follow what on the tire label. I think we can agree that modern wisdom suggests going as low as you can without pinch flatting. How you get there, whether through trial and error, asking the internet, or using a calculator, is up to you.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-21-23, 04:07 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
Meanwhile the OP is still wondering if they are inflating their tires correctly...

Old 03-21-23, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

What have I been saying this whole time?
I'll leave it to the OP whether or not to follow your advice. It's simple, I'll give it that.
Old 03-21-23, 04:44 AM
smd4

I'll leave it to the OP whether or not to follow your advice. It's simple, I'll give it that.
How in the world did you reach the conclusion that I “gave advice?”
Old 03-21-23, 04:46 AM
PeteHski

We functioned and inflated our bicycle tires using our common sense, but today the world we living in online calculators replaced the good old fashioned common sense.
Yet again, you fail to understand that not everyone does things the way you do. No common sense has been replaced here. Online calculators are not the work of the devil. They just make it a bit easier to optimise your tyre pressures if you can be bothered.

The OP asked for advice about optimal tyre pressures. Someone pointed to a well-known online pressure calculator and then you and a few others have to troll it as a dumb idea, just because you do things the old way as if that's the holy grail.
Old 03-21-23, 04:49 AM
PeteHski

How in the world did you reach the conclusion that I “gave advice?”
I thought your advice was to set your pressure to whatever it says on the sidewall? Otherwise why even bother to reply to the question?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-21-23, 04:57 AM
smd4

I thought your advice was to set your pressure to whatever it says on the sidewall? Otherwise why even bother to reply to the question?
Clearly you misread my posts. I only gave my opinion on what I prefer. If the OP, as you, construes this as advice, then that is his prerogative.
Old 03-21-23, 04:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Meanwhile the OP is still wondering if they are inflating their tires correctly...

Obviously OP got the help he needed in the first response. He didn't need to stay around for the clown show.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-21-23, 06:53 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
I think it is time this thread -- well, at least one strand of it -- had its own theme song.
Likes For badger1:
Old 03-21-23, 06:55 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I feel sorry for any new sport cyclist who may stumble upon this bike forum in general seeking an answer to any particular question. Any reasonable contemporary response gets drowned out by the same characters who are living out of a 1975 Bicycling Magazine.
You can't be serial? The "use-a-calculator, run-low-pressure on ultra-wide-tires for comfort and speed" crowd is far largerthan the two or three of us heretics, no matter how "vocal" you think we are. The "new sport cyclists" will easily see that the vast majority of posts on this thread and others like it are, ahem, "reasonable contemporary responses."

I don't think you need to worry about new cyclists.
Old 03-21-23, 07:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Serial/Cereal

You can't be serial? The "use-a-calculator, run-low-pressure on ultra-wide-tires for comfort and speed" crowd is far largerthan the two or three of us heretics, no matter how "vocal" you think we are. The "new sport cyclists" will easily see that the vast majority of posts on this thread and others like it are, ahem, "reasonable contemporary responses."

I don't think you need to worry about new cyclists.
I agree. Easy to separate grain from chaff in this thread.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-21-23, 07:57 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
It's not complicated, it's just dumb. Making the simple too complicated is the problem.

I tried the SRAM calculator above. What a joke. It recommended 60 lbs in my 700 x 32 tires for road riding. That's gravel tire pressure. It's more like 70-80 for my tires on the road.

Never ceases to amaze how people want to make the simple so complicated.
Sounds like all of the correct information might not have been used. Either that or you didn't give it a reasonable try. I've used the calculator with all of my different rim and tire widths. I have the most modern 25mm internal width hookless rims with smallest allowed 28mm tires. For a 140 lb rider, it suggests 52/56 psi. It works great. If I used 32mm tires it suggests 45/48.

With my rims, it suggests 58/61 for a 250 lb rider. If a more common 19mm hooked rim is used, it suggests 62/66 for a 200 lb rider.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-21-23 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-21-23, 09:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Sounds like all of the correct information might not have been used. Either that or you didn't give it a reasonable try. I've used the calculator with all of my different rim and tire widths. I have the most modern 25mm internal width rims with smallest allowed 28mm tires. For a 140 lb rider, it suggests 52/56 psi. It works great. If I used 32mm tires it suggests 45/48.

With my rims, it suggests 58/61 for a 250 lb rider. If a more common 19mm hooked rim is used, it suggests 62/66 for a 200 lb rider.
This is what I like most about that calculator. I have wheel sets with internal widths of 17 mm and 22 mm, along with various tyres from 28 to 32 mm width. It makes it easy to adjust pressures for all the combinations of rim and tyre I use and the differences are significant. For 28C tyres on 17 mm rims it suggests pressures of 72/77 psi. For 32C on 22 mm rims it suggests 57/61 psi for the same conditions. Having run both these combinations, they felt good at those pressures. I also double check against any specific tyre manufacturer pressure recommendations - to see if they are suggesting a wildly different setting. For my Pirellis I think they suggested slightly higher pressures, but their chart didn't have my exact rim widths (they quote for 19 and 21 mm rim widths with 6 kg weight increments). My Contis only suggest maximum pressures (73 psi in this case for 30C tyres)
Old 03-21-23, 11:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Traditional wisdom suggests to follow what on the tire label. I think we can agree that modern wisdom suggests going as low as you can without pinch flatting. How you get there, whether through trial and error, asking the internet, or using a calculator, is up to you.
I don't know if "going as low as you can without pinch flatting" is the prevailing wisdom, but if it is, it's not wise.

If the road surface is good and without potholes, you can use a quite low tire pressure without the fear of a pinch flat. But that low pressure will almost certainly have high rolling resistance, produce greater tire wear, and reduce the handling.

Old 03-21-23, 05:17 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The sram calculator does NOT suggest a pressure likely to pinch flat. Tubed setups need much more pressure than tubeless and hookless goes even lower than hooked. I just got my second pair of BTLOS 25mm IW hookless rims that require no rim strip today. Swapped 28mm tires from my previous Fulcrum racing 3 wheels. Pressure will be 10 psi lower.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-21-23 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 06:22 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't know if "going as low as you can without pinch flatting" is the prevailing wisdom, but if it is, it's not wise.

If the road surface is good and without potholes, you can use a quite low tire pressure without the fear of a pinch flat. But that low pressure will almost certainly have high rolling resistance, produce greater tire wear, and reduce the handling.
Perhaps in 1975 but not anymore. Like everyone likes to say “follow the science”.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.