Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 08:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
So that's a "no."
Horse. Water. Drink.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-23-23, 08:24 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Stating that such tools are over-complicating...
Yes.
Old 03-23-23, 08:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Honestly, I wonder if anyone has done a study comparing the rolling resistance of 23 mm tires at 140 psi vs. 38 mm tires at 60 psi?
38 mm at 60 psi would be a strange comparison to make when modern road race tyres run at that sort of pressure are typically 28-30 mm.
Old 03-23-23, 08:32 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Honestly, I wonder if anyone has done a study comparing the rolling resistance of 23 mm tires at 140 psi vs. 38 mm tires at 60 psi?
It’s been done. I can’t find my copy of the results, but it’s in the same issue of Bicycle Universe where they measured the aerodynamic drag of top selling sombreros.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-23-23, 07:27 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Re: Tire Testing

Not everyone adores Jan Heine, and he can be prickly at times (Welcome to the industry Reen Hers), but he has done good things with tires: https://www.renehersecycles.com/bq-tire-test-results/ People freak out and decry his methodology etc, but others have obtained similar results, and most of the criticisms, IMO, are coming from a place of overall Jan Heine skepticism--the anti-low trail fundamentalists for example--rather than any real evidence that he's falsifying results in service of his shadowy light casing agenda.

In my nutshell, the results are that wide tires run at lower pressures can be as fast as or faster than narrow tires run at high pressures, PROVIDED that that wide tires are supple. I.e. that they have a very flexible, light casing with a very high TPI and little rubber coverage. That's where the confusion comes from, where you get guys with hardcore crack pipe crunching urban puncture protection banded tires weighing in at a kilogram/2 lbs each innocently asking if their tires are faster than skinny tubulars because they're wide, and hey, they read it on the Internet.

So long story short, yes, studies have been done comparing tires of different widths at different pressures, see link above and Google "Tire Testing Bicycle Quarterly."
Old 03-23-23, 07:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
38 mm at 60 psi would be a strange comparison to make when modern road race tyres run at that sort of pressure are typically 28-30 mm.
Fine. Study?
Old 03-23-23, 07:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Fine. Study?
I think the point is there won't be a study that includes 38mm tires at 60psi because it's beyond the range of what would be considered rational. When designing a comparison it doesn't make sense to include options that wouldn't be chosen. You won't see 23mm tires tested at 40psi either.
Old 03-23-23, 08:34 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I feel sorry for any new sport cyclist who may stumble upon this bike forum in general seeking an answer to any particular question. Any reasonable contemporary response gets drowned out by the same characters who are living out of a 1975 Bicycling Magazine. Riding around on tubulars at 140 psi or just pump to the sidewall max rating is just not done by any informed cyclist who is following current best practice. It’s been long proven that those high pressures are slower and exponentially more uncomfortable yet the myth persists and promoted by a vocal few. High pressure leads to less flats is another fallacy long disproven. .
I have not read any (paper) cycling magazines, and have no idea bout rolling resistance, but I feel pretty sure that higher pressures lead to fewer flats, from my solitary subjective experience.

The surface area of my 23c at 100-110 Psi is lower than they would be at a lower pressure. It also seems ot me that softer tires allow the glass or whatever to embed in the tire whereas a higher pressure pings glass out to the side but I am not sure of the science of that. One could argue that a lower pressure would allow one go over the glass without picking it up whereas a harder pressure would force the glass into the tire.

This guy who claims to be a professional says lower pressures have lower rolling resistance on bumpy roads (I ride on smooooth roads)
and that lower pressures lead to flats (same video nearly 2 minutes later)
He says (agreeing with my subjective experience) "However you need to remember that the software you run your tires your chances of puncturing is much higher. It just picks up the glass and metal off the ground and obviously your chance of puncturing is much higher. "

I am not sure of the science behind "picking up glass" and why hard picks up less than soft, but that is my (and this "pros") experience.
Old 03-23-23, 08:42 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

I tried to correct the typo "software" to "softer" four times but each time I press save I am shown a black page with
ParseError: syntax error, unexpected string content "", expecting "-" or identifier or variable or number in ..../editpost.php(205) : eval()'d code on line 9
Old 03-23-23, 08:48 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Seriously? Life is too short (YMMV) 25mm - 100psi; 28mm - 90psi to 100psi (or max press. on sidewall) Everything doesn't have to be made hard (swidt)
I’m with you.
Old 03-23-23, 08:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I have not read any (paper) cycling magazines, and have no idea bout rolling resistance, but I feel pretty sure that higher pressures lead to fewer flats, from my solitary subjective experience.

The surface area of my 23c at 100-110 Psi is lower than they would be at a lower pressure. It also seems ot me that softer tires allow the glass or whatever to embed in the tire whereas a higher pressure pings glass out to the side but I am not sure of the science of that. One could argue that a lower pressure would allow one go over the glass without picking it up whereas a harder pressure would force the glass into the tire.

This guy who claims to be a professional says lower pressures have lower rolling resistance on bumpy roads (I ride on smooooth roads)
https://youtu.be/msUP7LsHedo?t=184
and that lower pressures lead to flats (same video nearly 2 minutes later)
https://youtu.be/msUP7LsHedo?t=273
He says (agreeing with my subjective experience) "However you need to remember that the software you run your tires your chances of puncturing is much higher. It just picks up the glass and metal off the ground and obviously your chance of puncturing is much higher. "

I am not sure of the science behind "picking up glass" and why hard picks up less than soft, but that is my (and this "pros") experience.
I have been a bit of a cantankerous dick on these forums lately so trying to play nice.

My theory is lower pressure tire folds over objects and much less likely to cause a larger cut or embed items. That said I run tubeless on my bikes so I am not aware of small leaks.

At the end of the day differences are extremely minor performance wise which leaves comfort and I much prefer wide low pressure especially for the riding I do.
Old 03-23-23, 09:26 PM
timtak

My theory is lower pressure tire folds over objects and much less likely to cause a larger cut or embed items.
I can appreciate the theory. It seems plausible as a theory. It doesn't match my experience though. It seems that I always get flats when I haven't pumped my tires, and rarely when they are rock hard!

I find my bikes comfortable. The only thing that was hurting was the soles on my feet after about 50 miles using carbon shoes, but now that I have swapped to glute centric (push pull) pedalling the soles of my feet too are fine.
Likes For timtak:
Old 03-23-23, 09:54 PM
timtak

I am not allowed to edit posts any more always getting that error (arseError: syntax error, unexpected string content "", expecting "-" or identifier or variable or number in ..../editpost.php(205) : eval()'d code on line 9__________________) message.Is there something strange about my account details?

I was going to add the following to my last post.
The pros in Dubai (good roads) a few years ago were variable but generally using high pressures.

Old 03-23-23, 11:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Not everyone adores Jan Heine, and he can be prickly at times (Welcome to the industry Reen Hers), but he has done good things with tires: https://www.renehersecycles.com/bq-tire-test-results/ People freak out and decry his methodology etc, but others have obtained similar results, and most of the criticisms, IMO, are coming from a place of overall Jan Heine skepticism--the anti-low trail fundamentalists for example--rather than any real evidence that he's falsifying results in service of his shadowy light casing agenda.
I've never heard anyone accuse JH of falsifying results. But, there are many people with solid science backgrounds that point out problems with his methodology and his unwillingness to discuss experimental details. When you sprinkle in bizarre and demonstrably false statements like the recent "Swept the podium" article, any "JH skepticism" that exists is well earned.
Old 03-24-23, 12:35 AM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've never heard anyone accuse JH of falsifying results. But, there are many people with solid science backgrounds that point out problems with his methodology and his unwillingness to discuss experimental details. When you sprinkle in bizarre and demonstrably false statements like the recent "Swept the podium" article, any "JH skepticism" that exists is well earned.
Didn't he just go out onto some hill with a bike and some tires with a mate and a stopwatch? Of course it's earned, when you present that type of testing as rigorous "science."

Do I think he has a point regarding tires? Yes, I do.

Do I agree with him on everything else he says? No, not even close. See planing, for example.

Do I think that JH skepticism arises from factors other than his testing methodology, though? Undoubtedly. He's said too many things that others disagree with too loudly and too publicly for too long for JH skepticism to only come into play when he tests tires.
Old 03-24-23, 02:16 AM
PDKL45

I'm getting a parse error in trying to edit. The point about no one accusing JH of falsifying results is reasonable and that was hyperbole on my part.
Old 03-24-23, 04:52 AM
smd4

My theory is lower pressure tire folds over objects…
Sounds like increased friction to me.
Old 03-24-23, 04:55 AM
PeteHski

I am not allowed to edit posts any more always getting that error (arseError: syntax error, unexpected string content "", expecting "-" or identifier or variable or number in ..../editpost.php(205) : eval()'d code on line 9__________________) message.Is there something strange about my account details?

I was going to add the following to my last post.
The pros in Dubai (good roads) a few years ago were variable but generally using high pressures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7cniRBsNc
2016 was a long time ago in terms of tyre development and pressure. The pros are now running wider tyres at much lower pressures. For example Geraint Thomas quoted 4.5 bar (65 psi) for his 28 mm Conti tubeless tyres recently (in a 2022 podcast).
Old 03-24-23, 04:58 AM
PeteHski

Some of the tyre manufacturers disagree with you, but I'm not sure how much it has been studied. I do know I haven't had a single flat in the last 3 years on tubeless tyres in the 28-32C width at lower pressures around 60-65 psi. So for me it doesn't really matter either way.
Old 03-24-23, 05:00 AM
PeteHski

Fine. Study?
Why do I need to find a study?
Old 03-24-23, 05:01 AM
PeteHski

Sounds like increased friction to me.
What it "sounds" like to you doesn't matter.
Old 03-24-23, 05:06 AM
PeteHski

I have been a bit of a cantankerous dick on these forums lately so trying to play nice.
It's hard not to be when people talk complete shyte
Old 03-24-23, 06:04 AM
smd4

What it "sounds" like to you doesn't matter.
Same as how a higher pressure tire feels to me, too.
Old 03-24-23, 06:13 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
It's hard not to be when people talk complete shyte
Problem is I head over to C&V and it becomes like arguing with a drunk. It’s a Luddite religion for a few of them and like a moth to a flame I can’t help myself.
Old 03-24-23, 06:21 AM
timtak

Some of the tyre manufacturers disagree with you, but I'm not sure how much it has been studied. I do know I haven't had a single flat in the last 3 years on tubeless tyres in the 28-32C width at lower pressures around 60-65 psi. So for me it doesn't really matter either way.
Would it be okay to say then that we are both being subjective? I am fine with that (rather than my being a 1970's magazine reader, or speaking complete shyte)

I wonder why our experience is different.

You mention that tubeless are strong against flats. I presume that this is because (instead of a tube) they contain sealant. An inner tube can easily weight 100g so that allows for quite a lot of sealant. But I tried tubular tires for a while and filled them with a variety of off the shelf and home made (e.g. latex and glitter) but it did not work out too well. Sometimes it worked but sometimes it did not whereas a patch and a spare tube has almost always worked.

2016 was a long time ago in terms of tyre development and pressure. The pros are now running wider tyres at much lower pressures. For example Geraint Thomas quoted 4.5 bar (65 psi) for his 28 mm Conti tubeless tyres recently (in a 2022 podcast).
There is a good chance that I am very wrong but I generally feel that cycling "development," of hardware such as frames, and software such pedalling styles and positions is somewhat over-rated.

I am guessing that the additional money available to cycling now as oppose to 1970 has more effected
1) The number of cyclists (there are more now, so the pros now are the best of a bigger pool of athletes)
2) The size and strength of cyclists (the pay to cyclists compares well with any other sport so tall strong athletic people from all over the world are doing it)
3) The teamwork of cyclists. Bigger teams with bigger funding means that it is not a case of mano a mano but one conglomerate against another.

It seems to me that the aerodynamic benefits of team cycling make teams vastly faster than individuals.

And it is the increase in teamwork, due to funding, thus larger teams, that are more coordinated due to radios and information relaying support staff, including analysis of breakaways and the peloton's ability to bring them back in, as well as expensive performance enhancing drugs resulting a more level (superhuman) playing field, that has resulted in the faster cycling times that we are now seeing rather than development that might matter to an individual amateur cyclist.

I am wondering about tubeless tires. I can imagine how they are beneficial for cyclists with team cars carrying spare wheels, who are never going to repair a flat nor change a tube, even if they are riding clinchers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.