Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rotate disc brake pads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rotate disc brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 12:56 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Rotate disc brake pads?

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but if it is, it wouldn't be my first.

I noticed the last time I checked my disc brake pads for wear that either the front of the rear ones had worn down faster (I don't remember which). Would it be a bad idea to swap the front pads for the rear ones in order to get more life out of the pads?
Old 11-10-22, 01:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
I always put the front ones in the rear and replace the front ones (unless both sets require simultaneous replacement).

This does two things:

1. It gives the best, most optimal braking in the front, where it is needed most.

2. It allows me to over-fill the rear hydraulic system a tiny little bit, to keep the bite sharp, without having the annoyance of pads rubbing when I put new ones in.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-10-22, 01:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
No benefit for me. And assuming that no two discs are perfectly the same and will have little peaks and valleys on them you'll never see without a microscope then you might actually increase the wear on the pads until they wear into the new surface profile given to them.

It's not like you have to replace the front and rear pads at the same time. So you won't really save anything. Unless you are swapping your faster wearing pads with another persons slower wearing pads. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-10-22, 02:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,422 Posts
I wouldn't swap. There's nothing to be gained. Each pair of pads has a certain life. Moving them around can't change that. All rotating would change is the timing of replacements to both at once vs. one at a time as needed.

In fact, rotating will be worse than not doing so, since it's added labor and fluid (if hydraulic) for no gain.

Also consider that you're not likely to perfectly match the wear, so when you replace one because you must, you'll also be replacing the other sooner than you would otherwise.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-10-22 at 06:49 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-10-22, 05:07 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Car and motorcycle practice is to absolutely never do this. In these cases, taper often wears into the pads and so placing partially worn pads into a different caliper under possibly different load conditions, may cause below par braking until the pads wear down. I also see no advantage. Just leave them where they are until they are worn out.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 11-11-22, 12:08 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Swapping the pads will actually ACCELERATE the wear rates...any differences in Rotor contour or Caliper Alignment will cause different contours of the Pads... once swapped, the high spots will quickly wear until the pads assume the profile of the rotor they now reside upon. General rule of thumb is to MEASURE the remaining pad thickness... any pad pair with one or more at 1mm remaining is overdue to replace.... Just below 1.5mm remaining pad friction material is the best time.... the friction material tends to begin chipping and sluffing off below 1mm, and remember those differences i mentioned? the low spots on the pads can wear thru and gouge the snot out of your discs too.

bottom line...if they look oily, thin, grooved, uneven in thickness, or Glazed, time to change Pads.

there are Resin and Metallic pads,, metallic last longer, but can be noisy and might squeal if not perfected... Resin pads offer superior braking, are much quieter, but wear much more quickly.... Warning: some DISCS won't like Resin Pads and WILL WEAR Rapidly when Resin pads are fitted.

Tip: Semi-Metallic Pads offer Good braking and longer wear than Resin pads.. ;-)

Last edited by maddog34; 11-11-22 at 12:13 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-11-22, 09:54 AM
Route 66

Thanks you all for your input!

When I do decide to replace the pads, will I have to mess with the brake fluid too or just swap the new ones for the old ones?
Old 11-11-22, 10:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
As long as the brake works well with the new pads (doesn't rub, applies sufficient stopping "power") why would one deal with fluid? Now if there's other issues that are fluid related (leaks, air in lines, too much lever pull) than these need to be dealt with independent of whether the pads are worn or not. Andy
Old 11-11-22, 10:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As long as the brake works well with the new pads (doesn't rub, applies sufficient stopping "power") why would one deal with fluid? Now if there's other issues that are fluid related (leaks, air in lines, too much lever pull) than these need to be dealt with independent of whether the pads are worn or not. Andy
The only caution I would add is that the pistons of hydraulic pads have to be pushed back into the calipers when installing new pads. On mechanicals, the pad adjusters have to be adjusted outward.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-11-22, 10:50 AM
Route 66

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The only caution I would add is that the pistons of hydraulic pads have to be pushed back into the calipers when installing new pads. On mechanicals, the pad adjusters have to be adjusted outward.
Does this require the use of a special tool?
Old 11-11-22, 10:51 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

While I agree that rotating pads isn’t necessary, I would disagree with this whole “pads have to match the rotors” argument. The pads and the rotors are wear items and will wear to match each other. Rotors don’t need to be replaced if new pads are installed nor do are new pads needed when new rotors are installed. They will wear together relatively quickly.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-11-22, 10:56 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Route 66
Does this require the use of a special tool?

It’s easier if you have a piston press or at least a pad spreader. You can use other tools like a screwdriver or a chisel but those are more likely to damage the pads or pistons. It requires a bit of force to push the pistons back into the caliper.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-11-22, 11:20 AM
Route 66

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s easier if you have a piston press or at least a pad spreader. You can use other tools like a screwdriver or a chisel but those are more likely to damage the pads or pistons. It requires a bit of force to push the pistons back into the caliper.
I guess you're saying that the piston press would work better?
Old 11-11-22, 11:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
A popsicle stick will work also to spread the pads. And many other things. But a brake tool for bicycle brake pads is ideal if you have to have that ideal tool.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-11-22, 12:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
A popsicle stick will work also to spread the pads. And many other things. But a brake tool for bicycle brake pads is ideal if you have to have that ideal tool.
yes if you leave the pads in then that tool works great
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 11-11-22, 06:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
When it comes to safety stuff just replace it, if it is worn enough to consider moving it, it is probably ready to replace entirely. Brake pads are not a place I need to save money or want to save money, on a chain and cassette sure to a point not a big deal but pads, no. With brakes always get the best pads and rotors you can get and keep up with replacing them and keeping them clean (with isopropyl alcohol and clean non-oil cloth) and you will have great braking. You hopefully shouldn't really need to change your fluid that often and if just changing pads you should be pretty well set for that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-11-22, 09:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Pad spreading tool- I use a clean cone wrench with the pads still in place. Andy
Old 11-11-22, 10:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
When it comes to safety stuff just replace it, if it is worn enough to consider moving it, it is probably ready to replace entirely. Brake pads are not a place I need to save money or want to save money, on a chain and cassette sure to a point not a big deal but pads, no. With brakes always get the best pads and rotors you can get and keep up with replacing them and keeping them clean (with isopropyl alcohol and clean non-oil cloth) and you will have great braking. You hopefully shouldn't really need to change your fluid that often and if just changing pads you should be pretty well set for that.
I watch people buy those chap pads from china nope my brakes have saved my life not worth a few bucks saved. especially on the tandem we need all the breaking we can get sometimes.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 11-12-22, 01:05 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I guess you're saying that the piston press would work better?
I use a tire lever and that usually works fine.
Likes For jsdavis:
Old 11-12-22, 10:12 AM
Route 66

I guess you're all telling me that there's lots of ways to skin a cat.
Old 11-12-22, 11:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I guess you're all telling me that there's lots of ways to skin a cat.
Nope not talking cat abuse in any form, talking safety and buying good high quality pads instead of reusing : )
Old 11-12-22, 06:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6956 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I always put the front ones in the rear and replace the front ones (unless both sets require simultaneous replacement).

This does two things:

1. It gives the best, most optimal braking in the front, where it is needed most.

2. It allows me to over-fill the rear hydraulic system a tiny little bit, to keep the bite sharp, without having the annoyance of pads rubbing when I put new ones in.
That works. But since I'm lazy, I just replace the front pads more often and leave the rear alone until it needs replacement.

PS, for whoever needs to see this: whether you use a pad spreader, a cone wrench, or a tire lever, it's probably safest to spread the pads apart BEFORE you remove them...Then put in the new ones. Some brakes (Ultegra and D/A, for example) use ceramic pistons that are more easily damaged by metal tools. (I learned this from cxwrench , who has unfortunately been excommunicated from this subforum.)

Last edited by Koyote; 11-12-22 at 06:47 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-12-22, 09:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I learned this from cxwrench , who has unfortunately been excommunicated from this subforum.
What!?!? Why!?!?