Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2019 Trek Stache 5 - what to upgrade?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-04-19, 01:05 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

I just had my LBS order a Stache 5 for me. I really wanted a Stache 7, but couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $600-$700. In an attempt to get the low gearing similar to the Stache 7, I am having him install a SunRace 11-46T cassette. He offered to set me up tubeless at no cost. Is there anything else that should be upgraded before I pick it up?

FWIW, even stock, this bike will be a significant upgrade for me. I am coming from a 17 year old Trek 4500.
Old 05-05-19, 02:04 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Old 05-06-19, 01:11 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Save your money until you get a few long hard rides in. Pedals, grips and seat can make a big difference in comfort and therefore enjoyment. After those are figured out the next upgrade is tires for me, assuming the stock ones usually aren't perfect for my riding
Likes For eshew:
Old 05-06-19, 01:12 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Of course tubeless would be top of the list as well.
Old 05-06-19, 06:06 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by eshew
Of course tubeless would be top of the list as well.
Thanks.

The LBS offered to set me up tubeless at no cost. I am assuming that means labor and sealant because the bike is supposed to be tubeless ready. I have never done tubeless, as I have never seen a need to. My gravel bike is tubeless ready, but I have never had a flat or seen a need to run lower pressure, so tubeless just seemed like more of a hassle than anything else. I figured I will try it, but I also know that the LBS is probably counting on future sales of sealant.

I have been considering Jones h-bars as longer rides with flat bars usually result in my hands going numb. I can only imagine that this will be exacerbated by the wider bars of the Stache. Time will tell on that because I am not ready to dump that kind of $$$ on bars just yet and apparently people like them because I can't find any used ones for sale.
Old 05-20-19, 04:28 PM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by medic75
Thanks.

The LBS offered to set me up tubeless at no cost. I am assuming that means labor and sealant because the bike is supposed to be tubeless ready. I have never done tubeless, as I have never seen a need to. My gravel bike is tubeless ready, but I have never had a flat or seen a need to run lower pressure, so tubeless just seemed like more of a hassle than anything else. I figured I will try it, but I also know that the LBS is probably counting on future sales of sealant.

I have been considering Jones h-bars as longer rides with flat bars usually result in my hands going numb. I can only imagine that this will be exacerbated by the wider bars of the Stache. Time will tell on that because I am not ready to dump that kind of $$$ on bars just yet and apparently people like them because I can't find any used ones for sale.
Have the shop set you up tubeless & just ride it for a while. The weak point on mine so far has been the rear hub. Grenaded it after a few months. Other than that, it has been great.
Old 05-21-19, 08:03 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
The Jones bars have lots of sweep, 40 degrees? My sweet spot is 15-20. Very comfortable on the wrists. Salsa bend 2 bars come in 17 and 23 degrees. Tubeless is great, lower pressure, lots of grip. I recommend getting a 0-30 psi gauge and use it.
Old 05-30-19, 09:22 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
congrats and welcome to the 29+ party!!!
have him save the inner tubes for you as backup
Ride her lots and have fun
If you plan to bike pack, check all the choices
Old 05-31-19, 12:33 PM
mpls85

Bikes: Yeti SB150, Specialized Chisel, Giant Defy Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Thanks.

The 45 degree sweep of Jones bars will reduce reach, so keep that in mind if you are interested in those. The few times I've used them, I've had to compensate with a longer stem, otherwise it felt like the handlebars were in my lap. Like someone else mentioned, there are bars with varying degrees of sweep that you could consider to get your wrists in a more comfortable position. Ergon has a bunch of grips that can help there as well.

Well set-up tubeless isn't a hassle at all in my opinion. Topping off sealant every few months (can vary depending on your climate) is not a big deal, especially with removable valve cores, which eliminate the need to break a tire bead to add sealant. Buy a big bottle of Orange Seal or Stan's and it will last you a really long time if only used to occasionally top off one bike's tires.