Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trip reports

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trip reports

Old 02-27-22, 09:44 AM
bob307

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trip reports

Is there a place on Bike Forums that people post their trip reports? It would seem to be a good subject for a sticky or a sub-forum here on Touring. Perhaps it exists and I have missed it?
Old 02-27-22, 09:57 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Right here if you like. Lots of us have done that.

There are other places, like Crazy Guy On A Bike:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

There is no "sub forum" here for active trips, however. Just the "Touring Forum" as far as I am aware. Like I said, lots of us have posted up on here.

For continuity's sake and future reference post-trip - my recommendation is to condense the "trip" in to one thread. When you make several threads spread out then it can be hard to back-tack and follow the whole trip. From the question you posed I gather this is exactly what you're after - keeping the trip in a continuous single spot.

I would, however, second the motion of having a "sub forum" for this exact purpose. It would keep the "trip reports" easy to find instead of sifting through the general Touring forum.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 02-27-22, 01:54 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Right here if you like. Lots of us have done that.

There are other places, like Crazy Guy On A Bike:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

There is no "sub forum" here for active trips, however. Just the "Touring Forum" as far as I am aware. Like I said, lots of us have posted up on here.

For continuity's sake and future reference post-trip - my recommendation is to condense the "trip" in to one thread. When you make several threads spread out then it can be hard to back-tack and follow the whole trip. From the question you posed I gather this is exactly what you're after - keeping the trip in a continuous single spot.

I would, however, second the motion of having a "sub forum" for this exact purpose. It would keep the "trip reports" easy to find instead of sifting through the general Touring forum.
... with the caveat that the owner/admin there has, to put it politely, VERY strong opinions. I used to be a member and had a bunch of journals there until the first of his major dustups with several long-time, very popular users.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/ is pretty nice, and very low key.
Old 02-28-22, 08:50 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I created my own site where I've posted a couple dozen bike touring journals. Originally, I set up the site to let anyone post journals there. But, after a few years of very little use, I turned it off for others and only use it myself.

This page contains a 169 links to tour journals and larger journaling sites. Most of these are to individual journals I've discovered over the years.
Old 02-28-22, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Another alternative is to post your trip report on your favorite blog site and post a link here.

Note that writing a good trip report is nowhere near as easy as you might think if you've read a few good ones. I found it took me about an hour a day. Far too many turn into photo dumps (many of which would better be archived on a thumb drive) with no caption or explanation, or a series of inside jokes and stories. Telling a good story about where you went, what you experienced, and what struck your fancy in a way that draws readers in -- that's an unappreciated art form.

Did I succeed? Well, one of my favorite post-ride stories is that one of my wife's former co-workers called her up one night. Driving home, her toddler daughter asked her, "Mommy, are these hills rollers like that man talked about that rode his bike across the world?" (FTR, it was only across the country!)
Old 02-28-22, 09:26 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
just create your trip report and post it here. done. I am puzzled by the amount of 'beating around the bush'
Old 03-01-22, 03:35 PM
bob307

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
just create your trip report and post it here. done. I am puzzled by the amount of 'beating around the bush'
I thought it was a direct and to the point question. I asked it because I enjoy reading about other peoples' tours and wondered if there was a special archive space anywhere on this site.
Thanks to those who responded and provided information as well as links.
Old 03-01-22, 04:55 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
umm. yeah. You are right. I just re-read your question. My bad. :-)
Old 03-04-22, 06:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I used to post a short tours thread and long tours thread for people who were interested in posting about their tours, but didn't this year. The last 3 months have been chaos.

I could post one for 2022 if anyone's interested.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ort-tours.html

Looks like 2020 was the last longer/any tours thread I started. Probably something to do with COVID.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...you-going.html

Again, if there's interest, I'll start another one.

Last edited by Machka; 03-04-22 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-05-22, 02:08 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I used to post a short tours thread and long tours thread for people who were interested in posting about their tours, but didn't this year. The last 3 months have been chaos.

I could post one for 2022 if anyone's interested.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ort-tours.html

Looks like 2020 was the last longer/any tours thread I started. Probably something to do with COVID.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...you-going.html

Again, if there's interest, I'll start another one.
It is good to hear from you!