Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using Campy Chorus cassette w/ Shimano shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 11:18 AM
dfiasco28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a campy Mirage** 3x8 drivetrain with flat bar friction shifters, but the shifters are very low quality and a bit finicky. I found some microshift friction shifters, but they are indexed and only shimano compatible, so they're sorta not friction shifters. (MicroShift 8 Speed Road Thumb Shifter Set - 2/3 x 8 Speed)

Curious if there are solutions where I can change the spacing of the campy cassette so they are compatible with the microshift shifters. Anyone have experience with this / know of any spacer sets that would work? Also, if I'm overlooking any aspects of this conversion please let me know. thanks!
Old 07-14-22, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6188 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Campy 8 speed cogs are spaced 5.0 mm center to center for and overall stack of 36.9 mm. Shimano and SRAM cassettes are 4.8 mm c to c for a total stack of 35.4 mm.

If you stay with friction shifters, it won't matter whose you use. Indexed is a different beast.

I wouldn't bother trying to change spacing even if your cassette will allow that. Why not just get a compatible free hub and cassette to go along with the shifters you choose to use? Microshift and other make entire groupsets. And even if you go with Shimano they have inexpensive product tiers that should be affordable.

Maybe a Campy person will step in that might know where to get something that will work without having to change so much stuff.
Old 07-14-22, 05:26 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Look at a JTEK shiftmate

Shiftmate Compatibility Charts and Choices - Jtek Engineering
Old 07-16-22, 05:46 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I run a campy/sram/shimano mix on my bike and unless you're really into tinkering, don't do it. I take it this is an old bike with a flat-bar conversion. and if the frame is valuable to you or has some vintage value, converting to Shimano compatible may be worth it if you can acquire the parts cheaply (probably 2nd hand) but you'll need new back wheel, rear derailleur (and prob front too), a cassette, chain and shifters. One option is buy a beater bike to donate the required parts or sell it and buy a shimano compatible bike.