Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Track Bike (1980s?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-22, 04:29 PM
chadaustin

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Karate Monkey, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bianchi Track Bike (1980s?)

I volunteer with an organization that receives donated bikes and fixes them up for a spring sale and donates the money to charity. Recently we received a bunch of bikes from a serious racer from the 1980s. Included in his collection was a Bianchi track bike that the organization won't be able to sell, so I wanted to try and sell it on my own and donate the money myself. Any idea what it's worth? Also in the bundle were front and rear disc wheels. We dropped those off at a local Bike Exchange, but I can probably get them back if they'd increase the value/appeal of this bike. Thoughts on that?

Likes For chadaustin:
Old 08-14-22, 03:21 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Bianchi Eco Pista. Early to mid 80s. Unsure what the market would support, but looks like stock parts. What wheelset is it?

These we're the entry level track bike for bianchi at the time. A little heavier tubing (I think) and without campy components, using Gippiemme instead. Regular Pista was lighter and had all the goodies.

Assuming if all Gippiemme and stock I'd say $700-1000 fleaBay value. If you live in a large market, you might get $500-800 on CL or FB marketplace.

Edit: added limited knowledge of Eco versus regular Pista.

Last edited by Senrab62; 08-14-22 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-14-22, 06:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Bianchi Eco Pista. Early to mid 80s. Unsure what the market would support, but looks like stock parts. What wheelset is it?

These we're the entry level track bike for bianchi at the time. A little heavier tubing (I think) and without campy components, using Gippiemme instead. Regular Pista was lighter and had all the goodies.

Assuming if all Gippiemme and stock I'd say $700-1000 fleaBay value. If you live in a large market, you might get $500-800 on CL or FB marketplace.

Edit: added limited knowledge of Eco versus regular Pista.
The Eco Pista was built with plain-gauge Columbus Aelle tubing, at least for the main tubes. Somewhat heavy, but I loved the ride of mine, bought new in 1983 or 1984, when I worked at a Bianchi dealership.

Pedals look like Campy Super Record, maybe, which might bump the price up a little.
Old 08-14-22, 08:47 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Pedals more likely to be Superleggera
for the test check to see if a magnet attracted to the spindle. Ti is not magnetic.

I think a wide range is possible $700 should sell fast. 1,200 for a motivated Bianchi fan.
very market dependent
ebay will want what? 13-15%?
so keep that in mind also. Plus pack and then ship risk.

be sure to note that tires need to be evaluated and re-gluing is a must, glue does not age well
Old 08-14-22, 09:22 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Pedals more likely to be Superleggera
for the test check to see if a magnet attracted to the spindle. Ti is not magnetic.

I think a wide range is possible $700 should sell fast. 1,200 for a motivated Bianchi fan.
very market dependent
ebay will want what? 13-15%?
so keep that in mind also. Plus pack and then ship risk.

be sure to note that tires need to be evaluated and re-gluing is a must, glue does not age well
As someone who sells on ebay regularly, I use 20% as my fee estimate. Why? Because their fees are charged on the shipping too. On top of that, you will get a pesky 1099 from ebay's managed payments so be prepared to pay income tax on any profit. All of this combines to where I will see locally for 50% of what I can get on ebay. No packing, no buyer wins all disputes, and more....

Sell here and get paid via PayPal? PayPal will issue you a 1099 too.

As always, I am not a tax account, nor did I play one on TV. I've been getting 1099s from PayPal and ebay managed payments as I was over the old threshold.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/tax-in...nd%20the%20IRS.
Old 08-14-22, 10:22 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I think the pedals are not Campy, I think they are Italian though. The caps don't look the same to me. I think the bike is low level pista from '83-'84. I think that $500 is on high side for local sale, more on eBay? sure.
Old 08-14-22, 11:06 AM
chadaustin

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the great info and advice. Sticker on the rims says Mavic Sport and the hub and pedals say Gipiemme. The pedals are magnetic. Yeah, the tires will definitely have to be re-glued and the chain is a little rough. Otherwise this bike cleaned up pretty well. Thanks for the selling fees and tax implications.
Old 08-21-22, 08:52 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
OP,
Glad you brought it to this sub.....Why not try selling it here and see what happens, you will almost always see less at a local (CL or OU) sale unless malcala622 is on the hunt.
Asking on new ones is 900.00 and this to me is vintage and the right color.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 08-21-22, 09:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
That looks to be in great shape. Someone's going to get a nice bike.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-20-22, 02:01 PM
brocccoli

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Nuovo Racing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chadaustin Did you ever sell this bike? I'm kinda interested. I can't PM you because I don't have any posts.
Old 10-22-22, 09:44 AM
chadaustin

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brocccoli
chadaustin Did you ever sell this bike? I'm kinda interested. I can't PM you because I don't have any posts.
There wasn’t any interest for like a month, then all the sudden 4 or 5 people started asking about it. Agreed to sell it locally for $600, just haven’t set up a meeting time yet.

Thanks to everyone that provided advice to help me sell this bike.
Likes For chadaustin: