Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

T900 Upgrade options/Thoughts

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 03:05 PM
Stroudy 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm so pleased to have finally bought a Trek T900. It was going to be a Cannondale los dos, but the seller ghosted me - complete silence from him.
  • You can see from the pics that it's been modified (I think) - suspension forks have been fitted. I'm considering removing these. Good idea?
  • We're mainly road cyclists but do enjoy the odd gravel path etc. Maybe change the tyres (Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard Tyre - 26 x 1.75 Inch 42-559 ?) Tourer style I think is a good balance.
  • I have some 10 and 11 speed road shifters (105) that I could make use of. (I'd know I would need to change the bars and add a v-brake pully - or disc brake conversion.. see below)
  • I don't mind spending a little £300-£400 perhaps. If I sold the suspension forks, maybe a little more.

Right now, the Trek T900 has an 8 speed cassette (not freewheel) deore RD and Nexave FD. It looks as though there's a spacer behind the cassette.

V-brakes, but what looks like disc mount options (at least with an attachment)

Obviously, I'll be replacing this chain. But not before I decide if I'm going to change the gearing.
Also, changing the pedals urgh!

I'd like to change the large chain ring - get something bigger (52+ recommendations with 26" wheels?). There's a sticker on the FD though (48T) I assume that's its upward limit? Would I have to go for a different triple FD?

Last thoughts - I think I'll definitely install a pannier rack, some mud guards/fenders (?), swap out the stems and change those uglyass seats (we have some lovely tan/honey brooks)

Contributors here have been so amazing. I really look forward to reading your thoughts should you have the time and kindness to give me them

Many thanks
Old 07-26-20, 10:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Yes, that bike has been modified from stock. A suspension fork was definitely not OEM. If you can't located the stock fork, I think I would just lock out the suspension travel on the one that is there. Touring tires are a good idea. Knobbies are not the best thing for street use. The 48/38/28 triple works better than you think. In four years I haven't found a good reason to do anything to ours.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-27-20, 12:24 AM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
The stock fork did not have disc mounts. Here is somebody selling the stock fork on eBay to give you an idea what it looks like (albeit in a different color): https://www.ebay.com/itm/trek-tandem...-/373099565616

The rear can have a disc added but not without some effort. First you will need to get your hands on a Trek disc frame mount: https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...t-154274-1.htm
Since the rear frame dropout spacing is 145mm you may also need a thread-on hub adapter which gives the correct spacing for the disc rotor. Here is one site that should have it (you should contact them to verify the exact spacing you need for the T900): https://www.precisiontandems.com/catframepart.htm

They have the following items listed there:

THREADON HUB ADAPTERS Provide brand of hub and tandem when placing your order.
Disc Brake Hub Adapter / Disc Donut 6 Bolt design ~7.5mm Hub adapter $40.00
Disc Brake Hub Adapter addition shim, 10mm spacer $40.00
Disc Brake Hub Adapter / Disc Donut 6 Bolt design ~13mm Hub adapter $60.00
Disc Brake Hub Adapter / Disc Donut 6 Bolt design ~15mm Hub adapter $75.00
Disc Brake Hub Adapter / Disc Donut 6 Bolt design ~17mm Hub adapter $60.00
Disc Brake Hub Adapter / Disc Donut 6 Bolt design ~20mm Hub adapter $75.00
Likes For unikid:
Old 07-27-20, 12:45 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
The T900 does not have tandem spec rear OLD it uses regular 135mm MTB OLD for the rear hub. IMO disc retrofit for this bike is absolute overkill. A nice set of mid-range V-Brakes more than suffices. Shimano LX-V is what we upgraded our T900 to. Only one (the front) is working right now and I trust it to stop me and mine at any speed we can reach in urban riding (including downhill).
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-27-20, 10:19 AM
Stroudy 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The T900 does not have tandem spec rear OLD it uses regular 135mm MTB OLD for the rear hub. IMO disc retrofit for this bike is absolute overkill. A nice set of mid-range V-Brakes more than suffices. Shimano LX-V is what we upgraded our T900 to. Only one (the front) is working right now and I trust it to stop me and mine at any speed we can reach in urban riding (including downhill).
Thanks to all. Just a quick response for now. Fuller one later...

The OLD is 145mm

Excuse the sock/flip-flop combo

Last edited by Stroudy; 07-27-20 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-27-20, 11:11 AM
Stroudy 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Yes, that bike has been modified from stock. A suspension fork was definitely not OEM. If you can't located the stock fork, I think I would just lock out the suspension travel on the one that is there. Touring tires are a good idea. Knobbies are not the best thing for street use. The 48/38/28 triple works better than you think. In four years I haven't found a good reason to do anything to ours.
I don't seem to be able to lock it out. At least not in a way that one would do it on-the-fly. I've minimised the amount of travel - I think that's all I can do