Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saddle points down

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saddle points down

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 08:53 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,388 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by hotman637
Not only does it have the benefits I have listed it also takes the pressure of your penis!
I have never had a compelling reason to want a device that measures the pressure of my penis.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-12-20, 01:19 PM
hotman637

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
LOL, no, some things doesn't need to be tried to dismiss it. I don't need to try homeopathy either to know it doesn't work. But at least homeopathy won't have any bad side effects (it's water).

It's not about not liking "new ideas". It's that some ideas are just outright stupid (free energy, more output while providing less input etc.).

You must believe everything the government says! To bad!
Old 11-12-20, 01:34 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
You must believe everything the government says! To bad!
LOL, and the "sheeple" comments have begun! Excellent! Please keep it going, I find it hilarious.
Old 11-12-20, 01:40 PM
hotman637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, and the "sheeple" comments have begun! Excellent! Please keep it going, I find it hilarious.

I have reduced everything to ONE RULE! That rule is 'DON'T WORK LIFE!" In other words do everything the EASY WAY and make life COME TO YOU

not the other way round! Try it!
Old 11-12-20, 02:17 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I have reduced everything to ONE RULE! That rule is 'DON'T WORK LIFE!" In other words do everything the EASY WAY and make life COME TO YOU

not the other way round! Try it!
Sounds like laziness to me. Is it something you're proud of - not even attempting to make an effort?
But, more importantly: What is the relevance here?
Old 11-12-20, 02:28 PM
hotman637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like laziness to me. Is it something you're proud of - not even attempting to make an effort?
But, more importantly: What is the relevance here?

What is the relevance of Homeopathy? The relevance of this is "Don't Work Life!" Try it!
Old 11-12-20, 02:35 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

What is the relevance of Homeopathy? The relevance of this is "Don't Work Life!" Try it!
The relevance of homeopathy was explained: It was another thing that can easily be dismissed as having no merit whatsoever.

As for trying being lazy. No thanks. Another dumb idea that can easily be dismissed. You still haven't answered 1) what is the relevance of telling people they should "try it" when you're talking about laziness?

Secondly (it should be first): Can you explain the mechanics of that "balance" thing you advocate, can you explain how having a whole third of your weight on your hands (ouch!) somehow makes things more efficient, and can you explain how you can get more energy out with less effort. As you should know: If that was possible, that discovery could power the universe in the end.
Old 11-12-20, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I tried moving my seat ONE INCH higher and tipped it all the way forward and down (45 degrees)!

I then moved my handle bars ONE INCH down!

In other words I TIPPED my entire body ONE INCH forward!

It was GREAT! It takes your weight OFF YOUR ASS and puts it on your PEDALS where it belongs!

It is FREE SPEED because you get at least TWO GEARS and you go 3 to 5 % FASTER with LESS effort!

The bike also handles FAR BETTER because you DON'T STEER you just LEAN!

The idea is to have ONE THIRD of your weight on you ASS and ONE THIRD on your pedals and ONE THIRD on your hands!

The bike GOES FASTER and handles better! Try it!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-12-20, 02:45 PM
hotman637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The relevance of homeopathy was explained: It was another thing that can easily be dismissed as having no merit whatsoever.

As for trying being lazy. No thanks. Another dumb idea that can easily be dismissed. You still haven't answered 1) what is the relevance of telling people they should "try it" when you're talking about laziness?

Secondly (it should be first): Can you explain the mechanics of that "balance" thing you advocate, can you explain how having a whole third of your weight on your hands (ouch!) somehow makes things more efficient, and can you explain how you can get more energy out with less effort. As you should know: If that was possible, that discovery could power the universe in the end.

You don't get more energy you get more SPEED! You get more speed cause you have LESS weight on your ASS and more on your PEDALS!

"Laziness" is not really accurate! It is more like playing hard to get! I got the idea from the book "The Rules" where a woman

NEVER approaches a man when she is wants to get married! She waits for the man to approach her! We play "hard to get" at life

and life COMES TO US!
Old 11-12-20, 02:53 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You don't get more energy you get more SPEED! You get more speed cause you have LESS weight on your ASS and more on your PEDALS!
Not quite true; You claimed 2 more gears, more speed, yet it was "easier" (i.e. less energy spent)

"Laziness" is not really accurate! It is more like playing hard to get! I got the idea from the book "The Rules" where a woman

NEVER approaches a man when she is wants to get married! She waits for the man to approach her! We play "hard to get" at life

and life COMES TO US!
LOL, trying to live life like that sounds horrific. It isyou trying to live a whole life after a motto-like platitude. Some things you have to fight for to get it. You can't play "hard to get" with life. If you do, you will achieve nothing, and all you'll be doing is waiting (while not learning anything at all.).

You still haven't answered the rest of the questions that need to be answered in order to even entertain your idea a little bit. "Balance!" is simply not a good enough answer.

Edited to add:
Of you push hard enough on your pedals your rear lifts automatically. And if you stand completely, even more weight is on the pedals. Neither is "easier" than sitting on your saddle. That's what it's for. You don't do 50 miles (or 100) standing up - or even half standing up and think that's easier for your legs.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-12-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 02:58 PM
hotman637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not quite true; You claimed 2 more gears, more speed, yet it was "easier" (i.e. less energy spent)

LOL, trying to live life like that sounds horrific. It isyou trying to live a whole life after a motto-like platitude. Some things you have to fight for to get it. You can't play "hard to get" with life. If you do, you will achieve nothing, and all you'll be doing is waiting (while not learning anything at all.).

You still haven't answered the rest of the questions that need to be answered in order to even entertain your idea a little bit. "Balance!" is simply not a good enough answer.

"Playing hard to get" makes your life easier AND you go faster! Same with tipping your seat down! Its MAGIC!
Old 11-12-20, 03:01 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

"Playing hard to get" makes your life easier AND you go faster! Same with tipping your seat down! Its MAGIC!
There is no such thing as magic. And I think you just gave yourself away as a sock for someone.
Old 11-12-20, 03:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

and life COMES TO US!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-12-20, 03:45 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Wow, this thread sure went south. I was going to comment but.................
Old 11-13-20, 12:31 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Moderation note. Please return the discussion to saddle tilt and stop the off topic discussion. Thank you.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-14-20, 01:34 PM
hotman637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrey
LOL.
Why would you even sit on your penis?

You don't IF you tilt your seat all the way forward and down and you put your weight on your ass and feet and hands!
Old 11-14-20, 02:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

LOL
Old 11-14-20, 02:12 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
I read somewhere that pro racers are tilting their saddles down in the front to tilt their pelvis and get a flatter lower back to be more aero. A coworker had his saddle tilted down and it bothered everyone who knew something about fit. I used to use a level to get my saddles perfect but when riding distances, 50+ miles I would get a numbness in my package so I started tilting my saddles a little tip down. Its not pronounced but it worked. I don't ride much more than 30 miles at a time these days. My bars are all set below my saddle and I'm older and pretty over weight these days but I don't have problems with my hands or shoulders or neck.

I think fit is what ever you are comfortable with. Just get out and ride...
Old 11-14-20, 06:13 PM
hotman637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
I read somewhere that pro racers are tilting their saddles down in the front to tilt their pelvis and get a flatter lower back to be more aero. A coworker had his saddle tilted down and it bothered everyone who knew something about fit. I used to use a level to get my saddles perfect but when riding distances, 50+ miles I would get a numbness in my package so I started tilting my saddles a little tip down. Its not pronounced but it worked. I don't ride much more than 30 miles at a time these days. My bars are all set below my saddle and I'm older and pretty over weight these days but I don't have problems with my hands or shoulders or neck.

That is all I was saying! It is just that I took it to an extreme and it worked for me and I have seen it work for others and that is why I say TRY IT and YOU DECIDE!
Old 11-16-20, 08:26 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts

30,50 or even a 100 miles are not long rides. Most new riders do not know about the balance test and that is why that tilt the saddle down, because they sit on their penis like it was mentioned in the above comments. If you do, try a different saddle. I still have to see a rider with tiled down saddle position that will not slide forward on the saddle. Some interesting videos to watch from a professional bike fitter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyE67jKp1To&ab_channel=BikeFitAdviser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53vbdNrkev0&ab_channel=BikeFitAdviser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-J...BikeFitAdviser
Old 11-16-20, 08:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

30,50 or even a 100 miles are not long rides.
100mi isnt a long ride?
dude.

Of course a 100mi ride is long. Maybe .1% of recreational rides in the US are over 100mi. Relatively few recreational cyclists, even enthusiasts, ride a century. And even fewer ride them with any sort of regularity. That is because...they are long rides.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-16-20, 09:33 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
100mi isnt a long ride?
dude.

Of course a 100mi ride is long. Maybe .1% of recreational rides in the US are over 100mi. Relatively few recreational cyclists, even enthusiasts, ride a century. And even fewer ride them with any sort of regularity. That is because...they are long rides.
You are absolutely right. 100 miles is a a long ride for most cyclists. I'll take it back.

(I meant to say that a pro or very fit rider can get away with very aggressive position, on a ride lake that, compromising comfort)
Old 11-16-20, 10:13 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts

I'm not sure if you can tell or not but my saddle is pointed down.
Old 11-16-20, 10:57 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts

I'm not sure if you can tell or not but my saddle is pointed down.
That saddle is likely flexible enough that you're sitting in a shallow trough that is effectively level where your weight is centered. That's why riders can often get away with using a saddle that's tilted down a couple of degrees.

The less flexible the saddle, the closer to level the saddle will be, assuming that the rider does enough mileage for the bike fit to matter. I can't recall seeing any pictures of pro riders with their saddles set more than a degree or two away from dead level, if at all.
Old 11-16-20, 11:18 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You are absolutely right. 100 miles is a a long ride for most cyclists. I'll take it back.

(I meant to say that a pro or very fit rider can get away with very aggressive position, on a ride lake that, compromising comfort)
At 20mph (pretty fast average speed) and no breaks, that will take you five hours. Claiming it isn't a long ride to you is just ridiculous. It's a weird way of bragging.

Edit: I see on your profile that one of your interests is "long distance cycling". So, basically "going light and go far". If 100 miles is not "long distance", what constitutes "long distance"? 406 miles in 24h?

https://omniumcargo.dk/2013/06/02/655km-in-24-hours/

No, that's not me. I consider things like that to be stunts and not really what one could do unless going superlight and have someone pick you up in a van.It's an average of 17 mph.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-16-20 at 11:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.