Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Numb Feet

Old 07-01-22, 08:08 PM
OldBike876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Numb Feet

Most of what I read/see on this topic assumes the rider wears shoes that clip in. I wear runners that fit and use platform pedals. For the past few years, my feet get really numb after 4 or 5 kms. If I can coast, stretching my feet out and it will be briefly ok.

I have had this issue through various pedals, seats, and seat height adjustments. I am probably the heaviest rider here, but this didn't happen the first year I went riding.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Old 07-02-22, 11:46 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I think the numbness is due to the flexibility of the running shoes. When I ride platform pedals I use some bike specific shoes that have a stiff sole, this tends to distribute the pressure across the whole foot not just at the points directly above the pedal
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 07-03-22, 10:22 AM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I think the numbness is due to the flexibility of the running shoes. When I ride platform pedals I use some bike specific shoes that have a stiff sole, this tends to distribute the pressure across the whole foot not just at the points directly above the pedal
Thanks, that's an interesting point.
Old 07-03-22, 03:57 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Could also be foot swelling as you ride. As you get physical your feet will swell just a bit. Most people will do their shoes up snug before they jump on the bike and end up restricting circulation as their feet swell. When in bunches I see people messing with their shoe straps all the time. For me, I would always put my shoes on a little loose and then after 5-10min into the ride tighten my shoes up and I’m good for the whole ride. There’s other potential causes but seems like you’ve cancelled most out with your adjustments. Could also be your shoe stiffness as pointed out but I usually see that give “hot feet” not numbness
Old 07-03-22, 04:16 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I've get numb and tingly feet. I weigh around 155, ride in bike-specific shoes on platform pedals. Couple of things that have helped me. Be sure my shoes are sized large enough to accommodate some swelling as I ride. Laces are not too tight. Changing the position of my feet on the pedals even a little bit helps. I usually don't have a problem until 15-20 miles. If all else fails, I get off and walk 25-30 yards.
Old 07-04-22, 10:04 AM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
New Balance had some shoes I used to wear for playing tennis, the 806, that was pretty stiff, compared to running shoes, and are available in a variety of widths. Something like that may be better than running shoes. Some companies make insoles with hard bottoms on them that don't flex this could help as well.
Old 07-04-22, 10:55 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
I get numbness when I ride around in my ratty old Converse Chuck Taylors. In my regular bike shoes (Five Ten Freerider) I do not experience this. I think the recommendation of a stiffer sole might be worth taking.
Old 07-08-22, 07:02 PM
OldBike876

A new seat seems to have helped. It's a Brooks B17 Imperial. Not a complete answer, but it's much better.
Old 07-08-22, 08:00 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBike876
A new seat seems to have helped. It's a Brooks B17 Imperial. Not a complete answer, but it's much better.
I'm glad that you have found something that has helped. I'd be interested to know on how the saddle works out over time. I just ordered a standard B17.
Old 07-09-22, 12:10 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
If you are using toe clips they may be squeezing your feet enough to slow/stop circulation. If using toe clips you may need to remove them and just use platform pedals alone.

I had problems with my feet and found a podiatrist who also specialized with bicycling. He made me some orthotic inserts that helped significantly. Cycling shoes and clipless pedals seemed to help me in the long run.
Old 09-16-22, 01:48 AM
SteelyMan

Bikes: Steel is for real!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBike876
Most of what I read/see on this topic assumes the rider wears shoes that clip in. I wear runners that fit and use platform pedals. For the past few years, my feet get really numb after 4 or 5 kms. If I can coast, stretching my feet out and it will be briefly ok.

I have had this issue through various pedals, seats, and seat height adjustments. I am probably the heaviest rider here, but this didn't happen the first year I went riding.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Foot numbness? I have tried many different shoes and I will without fail get forefoot/toe (bottoms of toes specifically) sort of go numb but not quite as they hurt like all hell. It’s a weird miserable feeling that kinda feels numb but in a hot painful manner which is contradictory. It’s happened clipped in with multiple shoes that don’t cause issue walking (mtb style). My new Adidas mtb shoes for platform pedals. And happens far less with adidas samba’s which are super flexy, not stiff at all, on flat pedals. I think it is circulation related and I kinda think how tight the shoe is in the toe box as well as at the ankle influences this greatly. Have you tried easing up on the laces/strap up top? Can your toes wiggle around easily in toe box? I wish I could eliminate this but haven’t as of yet. It really sucks and forces a reprieve.
Old 12-26-22, 07:29 AM
Conman_

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My feet have been going numb, and I’m starting to think it’s the combination of cold and swelling. Because the same shoes/ pedals indoor on the trainer will not go numb for several hours, but then outside in the cold they go numb after a short time. If I take the shoes off the feeling comes back. Looking for some “wide” sized shoes and found Lake brand shoes that are offered in a wide. Might give those a try when I got $300 to spend. Or might try some overshoes and warmer socks to see if that helps at all first.
Old 12-26-22, 03:50 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Saddle pressure can't cut off blood to the feet.

Generally, feet get numb because your arches collapse from the continuous pressure of pedaling without the break that your feet get when walking. Riding is more like lifting weights while standing.

The solution is generally arch supports. They may not be effective if your shoes are too flexible.
Old 12-26-22, 04:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Conman_
My feet have been going numb, and I’m starting to think it’s the combination of cold and swelling. Because the same shoes/ pedals indoor on the trainer will not go numb for several hours, but then outside in the cold they go numb after a short time. If I take the shoes off the feeling comes back. Looking for some “wide” sized shoes and found Lake brand shoes that are offered in a wide. Might give those a try when I got $300 to spend. Or might try some overshoes and warmer socks to see if that helps at all first.
Pay attention to the Lake fit matrix. It lists all their shoes and what kind of last it has I have seen Lake shoes called "wide" that according to their fit guide were actually not.

https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/fit-matrix