Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

"Simple" cycling computer

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-06-22, 09:33 AM
Gaz_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hi All,
I'm looking for a good cycling computer. I'm not sure what the proper terms are these days with all of the smart gear. But I'm talking about the old school type, where you have a magnet on the wheel. Wireless is a bonus.

I've used a few I like over the last few years, but they're always cheap, and always break.
These types mainly

Then one day they get wet, despite claiming to be waterproof, and that's game over. Or you'll press the button you're supposed to press, and you'll wipe the whole thing, and be 12 miles from home trying to remember your tyre circumference again.

So I'm looking for the best one I can get, Here's where it get's tricky though, because I know you've all already started to type Cateye quick. etc etc. Well, cateye don't cut it I'm afriad because they don't have the scan function and that's my line. I like have the computer flick between time, miles, avg and max as I ride along so I can keep track of everything without pressing any buttons. I even emailed cateye and asked if any of their line had the scan function and discovered they did not!

So, can anyone recommnd an actually good one?
Cheers,
Gaz
Old 07-06-22, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
So, can anyone recommnd an actually good one?
Not if cheap and has to be priced at pre turn of the century prices has to be part of the equation.

What's your realistic budget? Are you absolutely opposed to something with a GPS?

Does the screen have to scroll because you need big numbers to see or will a screen where you can put 12 data fields or more be adequate for the data you wish to see? ( I think some CatEye models do that)
Old 07-06-22, 10:07 AM
Gaz_

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not if cheap and has to be priced at pre turn of the century prices has to be part of the equation.

What's your realistic budget? Are you absolutely opposed to something with a GPS?

Does the screen have to scroll because you need big numbers to see or will a screen where you can put 12 data field or more be adequate for the data you wish to see?
Under £50? Being able to see isn't particularly the issue, more I would prefer a smaller "tamagotchi" sized unit. Not really up for riding around with a tablet.

Hmm, I don't want it to seem like I'm after the moon on a stick, I guess what I meant by not cheap was probably "branded". I'm stuck in that amazon loop of spurious quality. And I suppose I ruled out gps because it's not really my style, like I say, I'm really only after speed, distance, time, avg.
Old 07-06-22, 10:12 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
For me, the killer "wireless simple cyclocomputer" is the Bontrager RIDEtime Elite, used in conjunction with ANT+ sensors for speed and cadence.

They are not super-cheap new, but I hunt for them on eBay to find new or gently-used ones.

The RIDEtime Elite has a configurable "scan list", so you have some flexibility for what is in the list when in "scan mode".

Last edited by John Valuk; 07-06-22 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 10:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I've been pretty content with Specialized Speedzone computers, since instantaneous speed and odometer are pretty much the only things I want from bike computers, and they're inexpensive and simple to work with.

That said, they seem to be discontinued now. Perhaps I'll go to one of the CatEye wired models next...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-06-22 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 10:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
At £50 or less, I won't have any clue. My first GPS for my bicycle, a Garmin Edge 500 still works and is a little bigger than a tomagotchie. But it cost about $300 USD when new in 2009 along with it's speed/cadence sensor and HR Strap. It had configurable screens that you can have a few or many data fields and could be set to scroll through them.

GPS devices actually are less expensive now, but the better ones with more features cost more. But a brand like Garmin, Wahoo, Lezyne and a few others should last a long time, unless you are one of those that electronic stuff doesn't get along with. Lesser stuff you find cheap on Amazon is just that, cheap. You play a game of chance buying those though as their quality control isn't that great.

If you can pony up more money, then this is the minimum I'd recommend if you aren't satisfied with the CatEye offerings.......
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/698436

If you've had to buy multiple cheapo stuff on Amazon or elsewhere, then you've probably exceeded what you will have spent for something from Garmin or the others I mentioned that should last 10 years or more.
Old 07-06-22, 01:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
A watch is ideal if you don't want a large device on your bike.
Old 07-07-22, 05:51 AM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Look at the brand “Bryton.” My wife got one as a free give away and I am impressed with the quality, reliability and user experience.
Old 07-08-22, 08:42 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
The basic Cateye wired computers have served me very well for about 20 years now.
Mechanically and electrically, they have been very rugged and reliable.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-13-22, 01:20 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
The best simple-old tyme "DUMB COMPUTER"-WIRELESS Speedometer in my opinion is the INBIKE IC-321.

"DUMB" in this context means that there is no UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD...whatever you wanna call that...... It Simply is "DUMB" like the best cateyes from 1982, except better.
Why better?
......LARGER EASIER TO READ DISPLAY.......two CR-2032 button cell batteries(one in sensor, and one in head unit).....
........ODOMETER at top right/CLOCK at top left/SPEEDOMETER is center & large and EASY TO SEE............

..............Here is the OWNERS MANUAL for the INBIKE IC-321:
https://www.kupkolo.cz/data/files/ma...0-11_21-22.pdf

.........Here are two different random, highly rated, USA based, Ebay vendors who carry the INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS in both the White display or Green display
THERE ARE PROBABLY MANY OTHER VENDORS on Ebay both USA & China based who may carry the INBIKE IC-321 WIRELESS for perhaps less.
***YOU WILL NEED TO SEARCH Ebay & Amazon, etc to DETERMINE WHAT VENDOR HAS THE BEST PRICING***
....suggest that you SEARCH Ebay all categories for: inbike speedometer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401470121204
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234616488915

see Post #9 Vintage Schwinn 10-09-21 at the LINK BELOW
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...eedometer.html

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 07-13-22 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 11:14 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I've been using a Sigma BC16.12 wireless for years. It works well for me, nice clear display, battery life seems good. Probably a couple generations out of date by now. The wireless does have some delay on the speed calculations for fast changes but doesn't matter for steady use, I believe the wired doesn't have this delay.

My wife had one too but we accidentally dropped it and ran it over with a car.... worked great before that happened though

For most of my use, a simple computer like this is ideal. Gives the stats I need without much fuss besides the odd battery change or twist of the wireless speed sensor if it gets a little skewed.

Last edited by Wiggle; 07-14-22 at 11:19 AM.