Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Desperate help needed with my PAV3!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 08:13 PM
LethargicRush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hey there everyone!
Before I go into my big impassioned speech ill just lay out the real question I have below.

My PAV3's rear right spoke seems to have been pulled out about 5 inches away from the axle. What are, if any, options I have to either repair or replaced this damaged part?

So about 3 months ago I finally obtained a Worksman pav3 stretch cb trike. Weighing 410 at 6'5, my options for bikes was only getting smaller anytime I even thought about getting into biking again. I've been making a good hard effort to ride my trike at least once every other day and I'm really loving it. Just the stability of having 3 wheels and being to carry some baskets of groceries in the metal basket has been a lot of fun. I got there electric motor installed and figured out just the right amount of juice needed to where im still doing most of the pedaling but getting a little push when covering a few miles.

When I was out on a trip 4 nights ago I actually got a real sudden flat when i was only maybe 2 miles into the ride. Upon inspection i found that the valve stem just ripped away from the rest of the tube. So i got some replacement tubes and other materials and reinstalled a whole new one just yesterday. But after a hour or so the same thing happened, I was baffled the entire day and I looked over every detail of the bike to see if I did anything wrong. The valve stem was almost ripped out again, I then took a at the bike from behind and saw that the right wheel was not 100% straight.

I took a look a closer and found these pictures below. Right now I'm trying to rack my brain for any possible solution. I can't simply ship it back to worksman for repair, I dont know if any bike repair shop in my area will even touch this (not until i make calls to ask anyway, that's for later in the week), and I don't feel I have the necessary tools to make the repairs myself even once I can identify the exact parts I need. I love riding my PAV3 so much and I don't want to give up on it without trying absolutely everything I can. If theres anyone who has this bike or something similar that even just tell me how they make repairs on there trike when something goes wrong I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 07-11-22, 08:29 PM
LethargicRush

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

heres the good left side with nothing wrong with it.

Heres the bad right side wherethe axle has been pulled out a bit.

Last edited by LethargicRush; 07-14-22 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-11-22, 10:19 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
you cant post photos until you have over 10 posts.
Old 07-14-22, 05:07 PM
LethargicRush

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hey all! I finally updated this with the proper pictures needed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-22, 08:00 AM
gutter007

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thru Axle

Is there a thru axle?

I'm trying to determine what the wheel looks like, and how it attaches to the axle?

I'm totally guessing, but is it possible the other side is a little tighter, and it pushed the other side out a bit? It looks like the axle is just uneven, on side is flush, and the other side is out a bit.

thanks
myles.
Old 07-21-22, 11:05 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by gutter007
Is there a thru axle?

I'm trying to determine what the wheel looks like, and how it attaches to the axle?

I'm totally guessing, but is it possible the other side is a little tighter, and it pushed the other side out a bit? It looks like the axle is just uneven, on side is flush, and the other side is out a bit.

thanks
myles.
I had no idea what I was looking at either, I didn't know that it was an upright trike until today.
Old 05-28-23, 11:04 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
The axles look like they normally might have a little side play which may or may not mean anything. The spokes pictured all looked in good operating order. Your tube issue is another problem. I was wondering how this worked out for you. I've had stems rip out mostly due to under inflation or extreme age of the tube. Under inflation is my guess for this problem. I recently helped a homeless fellow with a bike he was pushing around on a flat tire. It absolutely ruined the tire and tube and damaged the rim. I was surprised by how much damage there was for the short time he was pushing it flat.
Old 06-07-23, 11:02 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone else who joins this thread. It's a Zombie. Not the worst I've seen in terms of length of time dormant, but still, it might be nice to have that 411 ...