Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help Me Understand the Importance of Rim Width

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-21, 11:02 AM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

Dunno if this is the right place.

My 1987 Trek 520 was originally supplied with 27"x1 1/4" tires. I changed them out for 1 1/8" tires, almost immediately, and have used that size ever since. With the current supply shortages, I feel lucky to have been able to find 1 1/4" tires.

The rim inner bead width is 16.5mm and the tire inflates to 34mm. From what I read this is suboptimal, but not outside of a useable range. I'm running Michelin Protek tires at 65psi. front and 70psi. rear.

What I'm experiencing is a tendency, of the bike, to "fall into" turns. If I turn at a leisurely rate, the bike steers predictably. But, if I turn a bit sharper, the bike seems to turn sharper than expected.

Is this tendency being caused by using too narrow of rim width? Too low of inflation pressure, instead of the manufacturer's recommended and rock hard 87psi? Or, is it all in my mind?

Thanks for any help, or movement of the question if it should be elsewhere.
Old 09-24-21, 11:17 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
My personal, conservative formulas is 2.2X rim width.
Maybe you need a bit more pressure? Try another 5 PSI and see what happens.
Old 09-24-21, 12:04 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I would be far more inclined to blame that on the general geometry of the bike than the rim width.
My first MTB used rims that were - at best - 1/3 of the tire width. That one could corner a bit squirrely at low pressures. Say 1.5 Bar or below. No mystery to that, one could easily see the tire fold over and squirm.
Old 09-24-21, 03:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...87psi is not exactly "rock hard." Why not try it and see what happens ?
Old 09-24-21, 04:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't see anything wrong other than you just need to try different pressures. Even though wider tires don't need as much PSI to support rider weight as their narrower versions, as a kid I often found that running really wide tires on a narrow rim required more PSI to keep them from "rolling" sideways in a turn and feeling squirrely.

And you said that bike came with that size tire originally, so I doubt Trek would have put a dangerous size tire on that rim.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-25-21, 09:33 AM
Frank S

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
My personal, conservative formulas is 2.2X rim width.
Maybe you need a bit more pressure? Try another 5 PSI and see what happens.
I first tried the rated maximum. Then 60/65, 65/70, and 70/75. I decided that I liked them most at 65/70. I put them back at 65/70 and that's when I thought of doing the slalom test. Maybe I'll try the test again, at 70/75. But, I don't expect to keep them there, regardless how it might turn out.
Old 09-25-21, 09:42 AM
Frank S

Originally Posted by dabac
I would be far more inclined to blame that on the general geometry of the bike than the rim width.
My first MTB used rims that were - at best - 1/3 of the tire width. That one could corner a bit squirrely at low pressures. Say 1.5 Bar or below. No mystery to that, one could easily see the tire fold over and squirm.
I don't know if it means anything, but it's always been hard to push the bike by the seat. The front end wants to flop over.

I've never noticed the falling into turns effect, with the old tires. Maybe it's always been there, but I only noticed it because i was paying attention.
Old 09-25-21, 09:44 AM
Frank S

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...87psi is not exactly "rock hard." Why not try it and see what happens ?
Yes. That's probably not the right way to describe it. Maybe super bouncy. Like, basketball bouncy.
Old 09-25-21, 09:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
I don't know if it means anything, but it's always been hard to push the bike by the seat. The front end wants to flop over.
...try adjusting the headset so it has more preload. This can make a profound difference in handling.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-26-21, 02:27 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I’m with dabac that it’s the bikes geometry but 65-75 psi seems a tad low for 1 1/8” tires if you’re not a light person or carrying a rear load, The tires max pressure has no bearing on optimal pressure. 65-75 is more what I’d use for 1 1/4” tires but again it all depends on the weight the wheels are carrying. There’s a world of difference between optimal psi range for unloaded riding or loaded riding esp. for the rear tire. When I was light and light touring on 1 1/8” tires I’d pump the rear to 80psi figuring it would be down to 75 in a couple days. One time touring with 1 1/4” rear and 1 1/8” front I just pumped them to the same psi.
When I had my shop in the 80’s it was interesting to see the ranges of psi people toured on. Folks on 25 mm tires touring on 120 psi, others on 1 1/4” with 45-60 psi. “Did you know your rear tire has 50psi?” , “I thought it was soft, I filled it last week”
Old 09-26-21, 03:40 PM
Frank S

Originally Posted by LeeG
I’m with dabac that it’s the bikes geometry but 65-75 psi seems a tad low for 1 1/8” tires if you’re not a light person or carrying a rear load, The tires max pressure has no bearing on optimal pressure. 65-75 is more what I’d use for 1 1/4” tires but again it all depends on the weight the wheels are carrying. There’s a world of difference between optimal psi range for unloaded riding or loaded riding esp. for the rear tire. When I was light and light touring on 1 1/8” tires I’d pump the rear to 80psi figuring it would be down to 75 in a couple days. One time touring with 1 1/4” rear and 1 1/8” front I just pumped them to the same psi.
When I had my shop in the 80’s it was interesting to see the ranges of psi people toured on. Folks on 25 mm tires touring on 120 psi, others on 1 1/4” with 45-60 psi. “Did you know your rear tire has 50psi?” , “I thought it was soft, I filled it last week”
Sorry. I have trouble with making coherent posts.

The tires, being spoken about, are 27x1 1/4", per the label. They actually measure about 34mm, on my rims.

I'd try them at lower pressures, but the manufacturer only rates them to 58psi minimum.
Old 09-26-21, 03:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S

I've never noticed the falling into turns effect, with the old tires. Maybe it's always been there, but I only noticed it because i was paying attention.
I have bikes that do that. It's normal when they have a lot of "trail."

I think you're just noticing things a little more now that you've put on fresh tires. Unless your headset is loose, I wouldn't tighten it. Just keep riding and learning how to work with your bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: